Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much do you care about bike weight?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How much do you care about bike weight?

Old 09-23-20, 08:55 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
How did we decide that burning more calories is what a better workout means?
Maybe their goal is maximum calorie consumption post-ride with minimum long-term weight gain.
Old 09-23-20, 01:13 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I think you guys are talking across each other.

If you are doing a 2 hour ride @ 200W, bike weight doesnt matter. You just ride a shorter distance.

However, if you are doing 60miles @ 200W, then a heavier bike will take a little longer (assuming you have some hills) and so you will have held 200W for a little longer*. So theoretically, a better workout - although not that much in practice, unless it is a very hilly route (weight really doesnt matter all that much, nor does a few extra minutes).

(*The idea of diminishing power with time only applies if you are riding at max effort.)
Old 09-23-20, 01:49 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
However, if you are doing 60miles @ 200W, then a heavier bike will take a little longer (assuming you have some hills) and so you will have held 200W for a little longer*. So theoretically, a better workout - although not that much in practice, unless it is a very hilly route (weight really doesnt matter all that much, nor does a few extra minutes).
That you do (negligibly) more work with a (slightly) heavier bike over the same course at the same output and/or pace isn't really being disputed. What's being disputed is "you get a better workout on heavier bike." The only thing that determines whether one gets a better or worse workout is the person pushing the pedals. Unless, of course, these guys are spinning their 53/11 @100+ rpm over their entire ride on their "light" bike and they need the extra kilo to, uh, slow 'em down, I guess.
Old 09-23-20, 05:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
What is a "better" workout? Go to a gym and you will see to dozen people working out in two dozen ways, and each might be getting a great workout.

If burning more calories is the "best" workout, why do weightlifters lift weight? Should they be doing aerobics?

If faster is better .... how do I apply that when I am on the weight machines in the gym?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-23-20, 05:50 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That you do (negligibly) more work with a (slightly) heavier bike over the same course at the same output and/or pace isn't really being disputed. What's being disputed is "you get a better workout on heavier bike." The only thing that determines whether one gets a better or worse workout is the person pushing the pedals. Unless, of course, these guys are spinning their 53/11 @100+ rpm over their entire ride on their "light" bike and they need the extra kilo to, uh, slow 'em down, I guess.
I'm even in that scenario, but not because of spinning out - there's a limit to sensible speed on my routes. The bike weight doesn't do it though; the uphills aren't what have to be slowed down. I need drogue chutes on my jersey.
Old 09-23-20, 07:49 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
You can pedal any way you want. Weight and its effect is an absolute in any of the equations you keep tossing out. You know, that physics thing you keep saying you're not disputing.
Old 09-23-20, 08:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
You can pedal any way you want.
Precisely - I'm glad you've come around to see some sense in the matter.
Old 09-23-20, 09:59 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Yeah, but that's pretty much the basis of the other argument - that the slightly more work on a slightly heavier bike = greater workout. Theoretically, it is true and this being Bikeforums, thems the guns people are sticking to. Better than admitting that their argument was wrong, i guess.
Old 09-30-20, 01:12 AM
Eliduc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sced
Get the cheaper one. The way I think about bike weight is riding a heavier bike makes me stronger and lighter - truly. I have 3 classics that are 25lbish and a moderno that 17-18ish and they are all much loved and ridden.
Hoisting a heavy bike onto a hitch rack on the back of a 4 wheel drive truck will also make you stronger if it doesn't throw your back out.
Old 09-30-20, 02:01 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
How did we decide that burning more calories is what a better workout means?

Workouts for me vary but all are equally good for advancing towards my goals. For example, I did intervals yesterday, covered around 50km and it included 4x intervals up a 9% gradient of around a 1km stretch of road. Calories burned, a little over 1100. On Saturday I did a 106km ride, 1600m climbing, burned 2230 calories.

The interval training takes me longer to recover from than the greater calorie burner due to the intensity and effect on my legs from the sustained full gas efforts. Both great workouts. Different training. Today I'm soon going to do a ride focussing upon maintaining a good average (for me) circa 33/34km/h on a lumpy route and it'll burn a similar number of calories as the slow Zone 1/2 ride that I'll do on Thursday with a friend due to today's ride being shorter. Yet...if all I did was the longer, easier calorie burners, I'd not win any races. Different workout regimes for different goals - racing, fitness, weight loss. All good.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 09-30-20, 02:40 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I'm used to 14kg mountain bikes. So not a lot.

I usually do long climbs. I went from a 10kg road bike to an 8.5kg one and, frankly, the only time I notice the weight difference while riding is when sprinting like mad and, to be honest, I don't care. Both bikes allowed me to go where I wanted with similar amounts of suffering.
Old 09-30-20, 10:39 AM
BenBoozer

Bikes: 2020 Domane SL 5, 2016 Crossrip Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts
Big ups to all of you performance road riders. 59 year old clydesdale road rider here, bike weight is third on my list behind comfort and bike appearance. Therefore I ride 32mm tires on 32mm wide carbon rims on my SL 5. I'll lose the extra lbs off of my midsection.
Old 09-30-20, 11:44 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Yeah, but that's pretty much the basis of the other argument - that the slightly more work on a slightly heavier bike = greater workout. Theoretically, it is true and this being Bikeforums, thems the guns people are sticking to. Better than admitting that their argument was wrong, i guess.
I'm surprised nobody has pushed back on this concept yet.

Which is the better workout? 200w for 90 minutes on a light road bike, 200w for 91 minutes on a heavy road bike, or 100w for the rest of your life on an indoor bike? Clearly the last one, according to the road forum. Because it's more work (and therefore more calories).

You guys have seen that chart with fitness and freshness, and how they're balanced, right?

More isn't always better. The right amount is better.
Old 09-30-20, 12:06 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
As my massage therapist who is a triathlete always says; it's a lot cheaper to lose 1lbs of body weight (fat) than to shave 1lbs off your bike. I would like to believe that the weight freaks here all have 10% or less body fat and that therefore their quest to have the lightest bike possible is ''motivated''.

Regardless, I don't judge anyone and I respect everyone's personal decisions. My bike's value respects my budget and I would probably get an even lighter bike if my budget would be higher. There is no limit when it comes to spending money for a passion .