Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Panaracer warranty

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Panaracer warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-20, 12:49 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Panaracer warranty

I'm asking here, because I know this group as a collective is a regular user of their products like the Pasela line of tires.

I bought a pair of 700x38s from an eBay bike shop who claims they are a Panaracer reseller. 700x38 Pasela PT wire bead. The tires installed with a significant effort, but I did eventually get the beads to seat with a consistent bead witness line around the rim flange. Neither tire is acceptably true. The rear tire has a bit of a hop to it, and the front has a small hop and lateral skip. You can feel it when you ride the bike. The tires were shipped coiled and zip tied. They did have legitmate-appearing Panaracer paper collars around the tires -- they appear to be legit products.

So I contacted the eBay seller and asked about the warranty from Panaracer, and asked if the tires needed some time to "rest" to straighted up after being in that condition. The seller essentially told me I was out of luck because home install voids the warranty from Panaracer. He said they ship tires all the time coiled up and that's a legit way to ship them (did not answer if the tires might need time to "recover" from that).

I did email Panaracer's product support line (411@panaracer.com), but got an automated response that they'll be out until next Tuesday. So...I wait on that.

For anyone who has dealt with Panaracer before, are they usually pretty easy to work with? Or did I potentially just waste $60 because this eBay seller won't work with me?
Old 09-18-20, 12:58 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
What rims and how old are they?
Likes For branko_76:
Old 09-18-20, 01:01 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Try some soapy water around the wire bead to seat it properly.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 09-18-20, 01:09 PM
hokiefyd 

They're tight rims (Matrix Vapor) in 622mm from 1997. But as stated above, the beads are seated. They were difficult to install, but the beads are seated. The tires themselves are uneven. The rims are true, the beads are seated, but the tires have inconsistencies.

I've had some tires that were very close to perfect before. And some that were not perfect, but acceptable. I think one of the tires I received is close to acceptable (still worse than I like). One of the tires has a pretty noticeable lateral movement to it in one section. Again, the beads are seated.
Old 09-18-20, 01:13 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
I would remove and reinstall them in a different orientation. If the problem persisits, send them back to the vendor.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 09-18-20, 02:15 PM
hokiefyd 

I recieved an unexpectedly fast reply from Panaracer, given their out of office message. They said, and I quote, "that shop is full of crap". They asked that I send me a copy of my eBay receipt and asked me to send them a link to a video of the issue. Of course, I will do both.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 09-18-20 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 03:19 PM
hokiefyd 

I sent Panaracer the video and they said they'd be happy to replace the tires. I'm pretty happy that they're working with me on this. I don't know what they'll do with the eBay seller.
Old 09-18-20, 03:32 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
I do sometimes worry about coiled tires with a wire bead, especially if they've been in the mail for a while. I uncoil 'em immediately after receipt.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-18-20, 03:41 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I've coiled them myself. Bent the wire a few times. I just put 'em as straight as I can and ride. If it's a front, I just don't look down. (Training form decades of sewups. Some, even the very good ones, are just crooked, Only matters if you think about it.

Good on Panaracer but I would have just ridden them and not said anything, either to them or the forum.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-18-20, 03:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've received wire bead tires that were looped to reduce the size for shipping and the tires were just fine. Same trick photographers use to reduce the size of our large reflectors with springy metal support hoops. But folding them up like kevlar bead tires probably would damage wire beads.

Good to hear Panaracer sided with you to support their product. I just bought a couple of sets of Soma tires, presumably made by Panaracer, and I'm really impressed with the quality.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-18-20, 07:54 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by canklecat
Good to hear Panaracer sided with you to support their product. I just bought a couple of sets of Soma tires, presumably made by Panaracer, and I'm really impressed with the quality.
Yes, I'm pleased that they're supporting their customer, even though I didn't buy directly from them. This is a great story for Panaracer in my opinion.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-18-20, 09:35 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
That's awesome. Great tires and it's good to know they'll back the customer like this, especially so quickly.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 09-19-20, 08:58 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've coiled them myself. Bent the wire a few times. I just put 'em as straight as I can and ride. If it's a front, I just don't look down. (Training form decades of sewups. Some, even the very good ones, are just crooked, Only matters if you think about it.

Good on Panaracer but I would have just ridden them and not said anything, either to them or the forum.
Problem is, on a bike- you're spending an inordinate amount of time looking at your front tire, or with it in your immediate peripheral vision. I've got one wheel with a little 'jog' in it... I should just replace the rim, but it's really minor- I can't feel it, I've gotten it out, but it's come back- But I'm glad I have a front bag because it would drive me bonkers.

If I'm going to spend the time, money and effort to build something awesome- I want it to be awesome. A problem that should not be there and can be easily remedied, should.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 09-21-20, 01:32 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

I just bought a couple of sets of Soma tires, presumably made by Panaracer, and I'm really impressed with the quality.
I was going to put Panaracers on my Soma when the Clunker Challenge was complete. I know the 2 Somas are not connected but it looks like I need the Soma branded tires instead. 😁
Old 09-23-20, 02:17 PM
hokiefyd 

I just wanted to follow up here and say that I received a shipping notice from one of Panaracer's distributors on Monday and two fresh tires arrived by USPS at lunch time today. I mounted them and both run straight and true.

A big thank you to Panaracer for supporting a customer when the online bike shop would not!!!
Old 09-23-20, 05:13 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
All that in 5 days!!! My 27" tires will be Panaracers.
Old 09-23-20, 05:21 PM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'm asking here, because I know this group as a collective is a regular user of their products like the Pasela line of tires.

I bought a pair of 700x38s from an eBay bike shop who claims they are a Panaracer reseller. 700x38 Pasela PT wire bead. The tires installed with a significant effort, but I did eventually get the beads to seat with a consistent bead witness line around the rim flange. Neither tire is acceptably true. The rear tire has a bit of a hop to it, and the front has a small hop and lateral skip. You can feel it when you ride the bike. The tires were shipped coiled and zip tied. They did have legitmate-appearing Panaracer paper collars around the tires -- they appear to be legit products.

So I contacted the eBay seller and asked about the warranty from Panaracer, and asked if the tires needed some time to "rest" to straighted up after being in that condition. The seller essentially told me I was out of luck because home install voids the warranty from Panaracer. He said they ship tires all the time coiled up and that's a legit way to ship them (did not answer if the tires might need time to "recover" from that).

I did email Panaracer's product support line (411@panaracer.com), but got an automated response that they'll be out until next Tuesday. So...I wait on that.

For anyone who has dealt with Panaracer before, are they usually pretty easy to work with? Or did I potentially just waste $60 because this eBay seller won't work with me?
Did you call Panti-Racer CService? If not.. please do and report your experience.

Panti-Racer tires are mostly sheiiiit IMO for what one spends. YES you will hear from the ****er's who swear by them.. but their defect rate is high IME.
Old 09-23-20, 10:37 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Aladin
Did you call Panti-Racer CService? If not.. please do and report your experience.

Panti-Racer tires are mostly sheiiiit IMO for what one spends. YES you will hear from the ****er's who swear by them.. but their defect rate is high IME.
I had a bad one: one wire bead on a set of 700x35s was 'smushed' (not bent, but somehow flattened) and the tire sidewall built over it was therefore deformed. No way, no how that tire would seat. I sent a photo to the retailer and they sent me a new good tire quick like a bunny.

I suppose I've bought two dozen new Panaracer tires over the last 20 years, though, so I dunno? Is a one out of 24 failure rate acceptable? Seems a bit high to me.

But I will very likely continue to buy them, as the price/quality ratio is pretty good, generally.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 09-24-20, 12:50 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Grant once showed that the correct way to fold a tire is in three rings, not two. I tried this and it's true, a tire folded with three loops has none of the twist going on, and seems much more relaxed/happpy in this state despite the smaller-diameter loops.

The trick is to grab the tire at 4 and 8 O-clock, with 12 O-clock flat on the floor, then twist both wrists in opposite directions, each180-degrees. The tire magically flips into a three-loop stack of pancakes that holds a nice shape with but one long twist tie.

All that said, a tire folded into two loops and left for a couple of years will even itself out completely after spending some time inflated, even if then removed from the rim. The steel beads never take a set, only the polymers in the tire do, and which relax after spending time in tension inflated.

Stored for some years folded double, a tire will make crackly creaking noises when first installed, but again will straighten itself out upon inflation as the fibers all begin to follow their circular load paths around the tire.
I took a pair of 27x1" Paselas from the huge (24 tires) Nashbar box that they all came (2x-folded) in almost ten years ago, mounted them up to the sound of crinkleiness last November, and am now looking at a fairly worn (and off-road-tortured) pair of used tires some ten months later. They looked straight from the time they were first inflated to 70psi on the 1977 Pro-Tour. They now measure 26.5mm wide, and still look straight.

Last edited by dddd; 09-24-20 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-24-20, 01:30 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Panaracer Customer Service

When I install tight fitting tires or ones that don't seat quite right, I pump them up to the maximum rated pressure and let them sit for a few days. After that I deflate them and reinstall the tires. I use baby powder with talc in all of my tires. It helps the tube settle in and makes installation a little easier.

I've been riding Pasela's since 2007, mostly 700 x 25c but 23c, 28c, 27" x 1 1/8" and 26" x 1 ??. Most of the time they seat up perfectly and run true. Knock on wood, but I've never had a puncture flat with those tires.

About 10 years back, I had a a pair of Panaracer Practice Dual sewups that I bought from 2 different shops, so they were different batches. On the first ride, after about 25 miles, I started hearing what sounded like tearing noises with every rotation. First on the front then the rear.

When I got home and deflated the tires, I found that the tearing noises were coming from the base tape separating from the casing. I called Panaracer and they sent me out a new pair!

I've found that most sewups made after the mid 80's have poor base tape adhesion plus they use a thin base tape material. Over time the tape separates from the casing!

The tape has separated on this tire, and not just in exposed area:

The other thing that I figured out, BITD we used to stretch sewups before installing them by standing on the part of the tire tire touching the ground and pulling upon the top area, moving around until the whole tire was stretched. With modern sewups, that starts the tape separating from the casing and on one tire, the tape actually tore!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 09-24-20, 06:22 AM
hokiefyd 

Subsequent posts in this thread explain that they quickly responded to my email (sooner than expected), sent me two replacement tires, and both replacements run straight and true. Cheers to their team for the quick response.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 09-24-20 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-24-20, 06:25 AM
hokiefyd 

Also, for what it's worth, the replacement tires that Panaracer's distributor sent me were not folded or coiled. They were shipped in a large diameter white bag with no apparent damage or crushing from USPS.
Old 09-24-20, 08:11 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts

I would guess I've had a dozen or so pairs of tires over the past 10 years (to include Sand Canyon and Compass)- I've yet to have had a bad experience with a Panasonic/National built tire.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-24-20, 08:14 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts

The 40 year old Panaracers on my Univega are starting to fall apart. Think they will warranty them?
Old 09-24-20, 08:19 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I had the bead on a 32mm Gravelking SK fail on me. I had them set up tubeless and the tire blew off the rim one day. after that, the tire would blow off the rim at 20 psi, so I could not use it. I sent Panaracer a video of this phenomenon and they mailed me a new tire, no questions asked.

it sounds like the seller is on the hook for mangling your tire in the package though. I'd email Panaracer and see what they have to say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.