Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ticking sound in Zipp 404s

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ticking sound in Zipp 404s

Old 09-23-20, 04:34 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
Yep, there's something hard loose in the rear wheel, but once I start moving the centrifugal force keeps it from causing any noise. So my second video is actually irrelevant.
The second video shows it's not the valve stem, so that's the most relevant thing so far as that's typically the cause of ticking noises in deeper carbon wheels.
Old 09-23-20, 04:37 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
Third video!

When I press down on the bike while rolling it back and forth I can produce a creaking sound in the location of the valve that I believe is the sound in my first video. It does actually sound like glue between two surfaces being pressed together and pulled apart, doesn't it?
You just have some noisy AF wheels!

Bummer, man. As an appreciator of quiet bikes, that's really irritating.
Old 09-23-20, 02:18 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Some web research suggest the culprit and a possible fix. Thought I'd quote it hear for posterity.

There's a "starved joint" somewhere that makes a ticking or scratching noise every rotation as the tire is pushed against the rim under load and separates from it when not under load. Super common, super annoying problem typically caused by a less than perfect glue job.

It's happened to me numerous times and I've found that you can locate it by taking the wheel and slowly walking it along a floor putting your weight on it from the top until you hear the noise. When you do, examine the tire/rim very closely and you'll likely find the problem area into which you can inject some Mastik using an old spoke, the end of a zip tie, anything like that. Let it harden up for 10-15 minutes until it forms cheese strings when you press the tire against the rim in the subject area. Then, fully inflate. This has always solved the problem for me and it's where I'd suggest you start.

...I can't explain why it's happening with multiple tires but this leads me to believe you may have too much glue build-up on the rim and it's causing the tire to not sit well in one place.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...ic.php?t=74160
Problem resolved. I tried the easy option first to inject a little Mastik in the trouble spots with the end of a zip tie and it worked like a charm. I've since ridden the bike with this wheelset to work a few times for trial runs and on a 150 mile weekend charity ride without any issues.
Old 09-24-20, 01:31 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I believe I can confirm that the noise is the result of a poorly bonded section of the tire, right around the valve. I was able to pry the tire up and away from the rim rather easily there, by contrast with the rest of the wheel, where the bond is cemented tight. Last night I tried to put some glue into the crevice and went for a ride afterward, but it didn't really work very well, and the sound is still there. I think I'm going to try using a zip tie this time, as per the post quoted above.
Old 09-24-20, 01:33 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
It'd be funny (not ha-ha funny) if the culprit is the professional glue job...