Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New Trek Verve 2

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

New Trek Verve 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 12:26 PM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
New Trek Verve 2

Well, I had been looking for a used road bike that would be more comfortable than my current bike and decided to look at a hybrid instead.
I did some research and saw the Verve was generally considered the most upright hybrid and very comfortable. I took a test ride and it was a revelation just how comfortable.

So, I did some more looking and was discouraged to find many comments on BF calling the bike cheap and suggesting it was not a good bike. I looked for an "Official Verve Thread" thread and it took a while but when I found it there were very few posts, leading me to believe the negative comments might be correct.

Then I remembered a friend I have who has an old Verve, as does his wife. He was a world class athlete in his youth and never stopped working out. At 70 he still rides 20 to 30 miles a day and even at 70 he averages 18 mph. Their Verve bikes are still in good shape. How bad a bike can it be?

So, I decided to go for it. I bought it 4 days ago, have 60 miles on it, and could not be more pleased. The more I ride it the more I like it. Pretty much everything about it. The location of the brake/shifters are a little too close to my hands, but I have quickly adapted to it. It takes more time to get up to speed with the stock tires but the top speed is not far behind my road bike and, while not as quick and nimble as my road bike, the Verve is hardly lethargic or boring. It is simply a great bike. I have had it off road for a short amount of two track and it manages nicely. Not a MTB but a perfectly fine hybrid. I am not even going to change the tires.

Not sure why there is not more positive chatter about the Verve, but I am very happy with mine.
Likes For spinconn:
Old 04-14-24, 03:31 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Nice-looking bike. Red goes faster, you know. IIRC, if that's an adjustable stem, you could try lowering the angle a bit; that would put the handlebar a little farther away. Enjoy your ride!
Old 04-15-24, 02:13 AM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A year ago I decided to get back on the bike after suffering for about 3/4 years of foot issues that caused me to have over 25 surgeries to correct. I was researching a more upright bike to ride vs my Specialized Cross trail and was looking a Specialized Roll and a Cannondale when a member here suggested the Verve. I found a Verve 3 in my size (XL) in a shop about an hour away and went to check it out.

I test rode it for a bit and was really loving it, but was struggling to get my leg over the bike, This was not an issue I knew I had until I was there. The fellow helping me out noticed my struggle too and suggested the low step model, I said I'd love to try one, but they don't make them in XL. Long story short: Trek use to (Come on Trek, make the XL Low steps again!!) and they had an NOS Disc Brake one kind buried under customer repair bikes that had been cannibalized for various parts through the years. The shop quickly restored it back to stock and I took it for a ride and it was instant love.

Been the best bike I've owned in my adult life and I have but hundreds and hundreds of miles on it in the past year. It is my happy place. Never had any mechanical issues with it. Had to replace the tires and tubes, but that was my fault when I changed the tube and the I set the pump too high and blew the tire.

But as a Clyde, I can tell everyone that it swings above its weight class and it is better than some would lead you to believe. Comfortable ride and shifts really well for the entry level kit on it. I'll upgrade the bits when they finally wear out, but still going strong. I upgraded the hand grips (I think I was given the wrong ones, they were basic rubber/non-ergo) and I swapped out the saddle to higher end Trek one the shop gave me to a Brooks B17 I've had for a bit. The saddle they originally had on there was from a big box store bike, like I said, it had been scavenged. They swapped it for the gel seated one that was pretty good, but the Brooks is breaking in so good, I get that now.

I had fenders and rear rack added the day I bought the bike too.
Likes For munkeyfish: