Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

First Time Tour Bike Buying Advice

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

First Time Tour Bike Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 03:32 PM
C. Law
First Time Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link!
Old 04-17-19, 03:34 PM
C. Law
First Time Tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffs
For your size frame I think you might find that the LHT with 26" wheels might handle better and have less problems with toe overlap and wheel flop than the Marrakesh. Toe overlap is a pain at low speed and wheel flop affects higher speeds such as hill descents.
The most important thing is the the bike is the right size and you are comfortable on the bike. For position help have a look at the FAQ's at ....
Touring bikes are about low gears and the sales guy sounds like he doesn't have a clue. If you want to be able to compare different setups then use a gear inch calculator such as ...

For touring I'd be aiming for between 18" to 21". On your budget a 3x9 setup will be fine. You can have just as wider range with a 2x11 but not for your budget.
Aluminium racks will break long before a steel Tubus rack will but so long as you don't try to take the kitchen sink, you should be fine on a short tour like you have planned.

I really want to try out a LHT. They've been recommended almost nonstop, but no one in town carries the Long Haul or the Disc. I could just buy one, but it feels dangerous without riding one first!
Old 04-17-19, 03:39 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
https://www.bikeattack.com/jamis-aur...SABEgLkRPD_BwE

You might take a look at the Jamis Aurora Elite.

Reynolds 631
Tires are 35s.
Disc brakes.
Lots of great specs.

Last edited by riverdrifter; 04-17-19 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-17-19, 03:42 PM
C. Law
First Time Tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
I agree that a triple will give you the essentials. Make sure your gearing is low enough first and foremost. Maybe even lower than you'll ever need. With a triple you can get some reasonably high gears too. I love roaring down slight downgrades or long flats with a tailwind. You CAN have both.
The LHT are popular but be comfortable whatever you choose. My first touring bike was a straight gauge Japanese entry level touring bike that fit me perfectly. The entire gearing needed to be changed to a nice granny with half steps with barends. It had no typical braise-ons but never gave me a minutes trouble. It would not have accommodated the tires I think you'll need so a 700mm wheel will be useful for you.
Racks shouldn't be an issue unless your going off road. Get something wide enough to keep everything away from your spokes and low riders are a must. They're more likely to keep you upright especially on dirt roads.
Sounds like you're buying a bike for the trip. Be sure to ride it fully loaded to feel how it handles loaded. There's nothing like unpacking the plane and gearing up your nice new Trek 720 only to find it's way more flexible than the straight gauge frame you were used to when your many miles from home.

Thanks to everyone posting about the low gears. I am keeping that in mind as one of the most important factors.
Old 04-17-19, 08:57 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Kona Sutra & Salsa Marrakesh look pretty good IMO esp in re components. Marrakesh looks to have a fairly short stem; easy to swap in a longer and possibly riser stem. One nice thing about buying a frameset & building up is that sometimes they give extra length on the steerer tube (as with Trucker) so one can ride it for a while & then have the tube cut as desired. Marrakesh available in frame only but I don't see steerer tube length listed. Many bike tourists like a highish handlebar position. Relying on a riser stem to get that is sometimes problematic, available ones are mediocre quality & limited angles. With my Disc Trucker I ended up leaving more steerer tube than I had expected but handlebar has fairly deep drop so I'm fairly aero when I want. My Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon required a riser stem; height is good but should be 1" more forward.

Sutra & Marrakesh are limited to 40mm wide tires w/fenders. Many folks would find those wide enough for 100's of miles on dirt/gravel but not me. I agree it's a risk to buy a bike sight unseen but perhaps if you found the Salsa a bit too short in reach, the Trucker might fit well (it's known for the long top tube). If you have a current bike that's comfortable you can measure things to get a fairly good idea as to what would fit. Building up a frameset isn't hard, LBS can install the headset & bottom bracket. It can be fun to choose components as desired.
Old 04-17-19, 09:44 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Kona Sutra & Salsa Marrakesh look pretty good IMO esp in re components. Marrakesh looks to have a fairly short stem; easy to swap in a longer and possibly riser stem. One nice thing about buying a frameset & building up is that sometimes they give extra length on the steerer tube (as with Trucker) so one can ride it for a while & then have the tube cut as desired. Marrakesh available in frame only but I don't see steerer tube length listed. Many bike tourists like a highish handlebar position. Relying on a riser stem to get that is sometimes problematic, available ones are mediocre quality & limited angles. With my Disc Trucker I ended up leaving more steerer tube than I had expected but handlebar has fairly deep drop so I'm fairly aero when I want. My Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon required a riser stem; height is good but should be 1" more forward.

Sutra & Marrakesh are limited to 40mm wide tires w/fenders. Many folks would find those wide enough for 100's of miles on dirt/gravel but not me. I agree it's a risk to buy a bike sight unseen but perhaps if you found the Salsa a bit too short in reach, the Trucker might fit well (it's known for the long top tube). If you have a current bike that's comfortable you can measure things to get a fairly good idea as to what would fit. Building up a frameset isn't hard, LBS can install the headset & bottom bracket. It can be fun to choose components as desired.
both the Kona and the salsa can take wider tired. Mt Marrakesh came with 42’s. The Sutra has the most clearance. I wat to say as much as 2”.
Old 04-18-19, 01:11 AM
b_young
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
+1 for the Kona Sutra. Not the LTD model just regular Sutra.
Old 04-18-19, 05:21 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by C. Law
I'd love to go this route, but I'm not sure where to start with 90s MTBs, especially since I feel like most won't have disc brakes. I know the rim/disc brake debate is never-ending, but disc brakes sound positive to me in terms of braking on long descents, reliability in weather, and repair.

If you have any thoughts on where to start with MTB, I'd love the advice!
OK, what you would be looking for is a mid to high end steel MTB from the early 90s. Specialized, something like that. You are looking for Deore LX or DX level gear if you can find it. It'll probably be 8 speed, but that's OK. Ideally threadless 1 1/8" steerer, though you might need to go mid range in a later model to get that with rigid forks. You'd change the bars to something like a butterfly, VO crazy bars or Jones Loop. Front racks you'd need to look at clamp on mid mounts for the forks. Basically you are aiming at a cheap Surly Troll.. My first touring bike was my 1991 Kojima Climax, I then "upgraded" to a $70 Shogun which I rode Vancouver Island along every logging road I could find, then down to San Francisco.
Don't get sucked into the disc brake hype, I currently ride discs, but mostly because I got a set of cheap wheels. Before I got them I rode V brakes and they were just as effective, with the added bonus of not fading when going down big hills slowly. Main thing is to spend the money on decent pads, with replaceable rubbers. Discs work OK when you have good airflow over the discs, but go slowly down a steep hill while heavily loaded and they'll cook.
Old 04-18-19, 06:24 AM
dinoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys! I have found "authier ferraroli" MTB i think from early 90's steel frame, deore xt... Have pictures but can't post it (new user). What do you suggesting/changes to transform it into descent safe touring bike?
Old 04-18-19, 07:00 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
while its great to suggest using an older mtb, one has to be realistic about someone who has little bike knowledge or mechanical knowledge, getting into the used bike thing.
Its hit and miss already, and sure it can work fine, but it also can be a can of worms depending on the bike, the condition etc.

its not a black and white easy answer it all Im saying,and sometimes just getting a new or newish proper touring bike is going to be the best route for lots of people.
Old 04-18-19, 07:38 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Or you could buy one of these https://surlybikes.com/bikes/troll Already has everything you need except the racks. Pretty well what I ride now except I've got a Rohloff and ATS speed drive because why not carry 2kg of extra weight. Anyway, apart from the racks all you need to change would be the cranks, to a set with 22-30-40, that will get you some nice low gearing.
Looking at pictures of that Authier it looks like a very nice bike if it's in good condition. Do you have access to a good bike mechanic to look at it? If good it would need servicing, repack the hub bearings, change the bottom bracket to a Shimano UN55 sealed unit, or if you put some octalink 22-30-40 cranks on it, an octaliak BB. In terms of touring the main thing you need to do is change the handlebars to somethiing touring orientated, probably the VO crazy bar, as you could re use the stem and they are nice and wide for gravel work.
Old 04-18-19, 10:12 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
This may sound odd, but start by chosing your tires. You'll have more issues with tires on a long tour than any other component of your bike. For example, I know of a few people who are going with the Rene Herse (Compass) 26 x 2.2" Rat Trap tires for touring, and buit their bikes around them. I would definitely NOT use those on the trip you're planning, as they have very thin sidewalls and not much tread. I'd sacrifice the ride and fast rolling of those tires for something much beefier, since you'll be on a lot of rough gravel. A 26" tire is often stated as the most easily found emergency repair size. I'd get something wide - 2" minimum, which will give you comfortable ride and good traction on gravel. And make sure you have room for fenders with lots of clearance.
Old 04-18-19, 02:21 PM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Or you could buy one of these https://surlybikes.com/bikes/troll Already has everything you need except the racks. Pretty well what I ride now except I've got a Rohloff and ATS speed drive because why not carry 2kg of extra weight. Anyway, apart from the racks all you need to change would be the cranks, to a set with 22-30-40, that will get you some nice low gearing.
Looking at pictures of that Authier it looks like a very nice bike if it's in good condition. Do you have access to a good bike mechanic to look at it? If good it would need servicing, repack the hub bearings, change the bottom bracket to a Shimano UN55 sealed unit, or if you put some octalink 22-30-40 cranks on it, an octaliak BB. In terms of touring the main thing you need to do is change the handlebars to somethiing touring orientated, probably the VO crazy bar, as you could re use the stem and they are nice and wide for gravel work.
Nah, ditch the Authier, see if you can find one with V brakes. The canti brakes on the front make swapping the handlebars more problematic, since I realised the stem doesn't have a split face to install bars with protrusions, and the canti's mean youd have to fiddle around finding a cable stop to fit the stem you replace it with. Reasonably easy, Problem Solvers do them, but anyway V brakes are much easier to maintain in the fieldanyway. You could still run butterflies and keep the stem, but you'd need to find a wide version of them for gravel work.
What Gugie says about tires is true. For a trip like you mention Marathon Mondial are about as strong as you can get. I like the Extra Terrestrial style 2.5 balloon tires for touring now, they just roll over everything, pavement, gravel, sand. The ETs themselves are a bit flaky quality control wise, I had one chew out in less than 1000 miles due to a molding error. Surly gave me a new one and some swag for my troubles however. Great tires if you could rely on them.Next tires I might try are the Schwalbe Moto-X.
Old 04-18-19, 04:39 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by C. Law
...I've ridden the Salsas that are recommended for this kind of trip (Vaya, Journeyman, and Marrakesh). I liked the steel frame of the Marrakesh, but the aluminum rear rack worried me for such a long trip. I was reassured that they made it extra strong to compensate. It was the only of the three Salsas I rode that has three front gears and is steel. The other two were great bikes but aluminum frames and only two front gears...
Salsas Journeyman frame is aluminum.

Salsa Vaya frame is steel, and has been for 9 years now. Up until last year the base model had a steel fork, now carbon fork is the only offering.
Old 04-18-19, 09:18 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
This may sound odd, but start by chosing your tires. You'll have more issues with tires on a long tour than any other component of your bike. For example, I know of a few people who are going with the Rene Herse (Compass) 26 x 2.2" Rat Trap tires for touring, and buit their bikes around them. I would definitely NOT use those on the trip you're planning, as they have very thin sidewalls and not much tread. I'd sacrifice the ride and fast rolling of those tires for something much beefier, since you'll be on a lot of rough gravel. A 26" tire is often stated as the most easily found emergency repair size. I'd get something wide - 2" minimum, which will give you comfortable ride and good traction on gravel. And make sure you have room for fenders with lots of clearance.

I agree, in fact for several years we've seen a trend of touring bicycles allowing wider tires. However I feel some are still limited too much esp with fenders. A bike that allows wide tires can always be fitted with narrower tires if desired. Wider tires can be safer too by eliminating some front-end bounce on bumpy descents.
Old 04-20-19, 07:53 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I agree, in fact for several years we've seen a trend of touring bicycles allowing wider tires. However I feel some are still limited too much esp with fenders. A bike that allows wide tires can always be fitted with narrower tires if desired. Wider tires can be safer too by eliminating some front-end bounce on bumpy descents.
Another thing that makes wider tires safer is that you don't need too be as cautious riding on the gravelly shoulder of country roads - a plus when a car goes whizzing by. You have the confidence to move away from it into the gravel if you need to.
Old 04-20-19, 08:06 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Another thing that makes wider tires safer is that you don't need too be as cautious riding on the gravelly shoulder of country roads - a plus when a car goes whizzing by. You have the confidence to move away from it into the gravel if you need to.
From someone who has ridden and toured on 28's to 50's, this is actually an appreciated factor, but your tire width choice does depend on various factors, load weight, road surfaces. I have found 37mm to be that reasonable tradeoff of still good speed, but handles rough and sketchy surfaces much much better than 28 or 32---but on good roads, a lighter tire and lighter load and bike is fine too.

And then of course, different tire models differ greatly, but a lighter wider tire will always be nicer on any rough stuff.