Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do you use stainless clamp bolts?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-19, 05:59 AM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts

That is on brake levers, shifters or stem. I believe stainless steel is softer/weaker than alloy steel. Bout titanium? Please advise.
Old 05-13-19, 06:16 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
I believe most such bolts are cro-moly steel, which is stronger.
Old 05-13-19, 06:27 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Stainless fasteners are a nice touch; they stay looking good unlike plated steel, and are pretty much always strong enough, unless maybe they're under-specced like Thomson's M3 stem bolts. Titanium is often not a great idea to replace steel bolts; the strength difference is a lot more than for SS. Aluminium definitely has its place, particularly in headset top caps where M5 in steel is total overkill and any non-stainless steel is going to look like crap with the rust.
Old 05-13-19, 06:30 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
I would have no problem substituting SS, for most fasteners like that -
If you're under the impression that manufacturers use some kind of grade 8 fasteners for things like clamp screws, I have news - They don't.

I most always substitute SS fasteners for mounting racks, cages, etc. I'm pretty sure that SS would handle the torque values for most clamp screws on a bike.
You can buy really nice stainless button head capscrews from McMaster Carr, and others - I use them often, in various sizes.

The one thing with stainless steel, is that it should always be lubricated / anti-seized, or installed with loc-tite, because stainless can gall when threaded into itself, or seize from corrosion, when threaded into aluminum.
Old 05-13-19, 07:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
There are numerous alloys of both types of steels.. like there are a number of different aluminum and titanium alloys ,

hex headed bolts can be marked indicating the differences , such as 8.8*, vs common mild steel, un marked..

in addition there are a number of heat treatment options..

* I used those higher strength steel bolts, to mount the bottom of my touring bike's rear rack.
it was not stainless , so I painted it. ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-13-19 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-13-19, 08:15 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I'll use SS bolts if and when plated starts to rust. I don't worry about them being weaker or softer, they aren't under that much stress on a bicycle.
Old 05-13-19, 08:28 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Titanium is often not a great idea to replace steel bolts; the strength difference is a lot more than for SS.
I've been replacing a lot of random bolts with titanium over the years, mostly on my "winter" bike because titanium is immune to salt and corrosion in general. They look nice as well... I've replaced chainring hardware, brake shoe hardware and other miscellaneous fasteners and have had no problems with bolt stripping or breaking. According to this THIS web site,

"High quality Ti bolts can be used in the following areas:
-disk brake rotor bolts;
-caliper mounting bolts;
-seatpost saddle rail clamp bolts;
-frame/fork v-brake/cantilever brake bosses;
-stem clamp bolts; and
-any other areas where the strength of steel is needed."
Old 05-13-19, 11:03 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I'm pretty sure if I can use stainless for stuff like this it'll be plenty strong for a bicycle application.

Old 05-13-19, 12:11 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
I only use wrought iron bolts.
Likes For 86az135i:
Old 05-13-19, 12:15 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by mixteup
I would have no problem substituting SS, for most fasteners like that -
If you're under the impression that manufacturers use some kind of grade 8 fasteners for things like clamp screws, I have news - They don't.

I most always substitute SS fasteners for mounting racks, cages, etc. I'm pretty sure that SS would handle the torque values for most clamp screws on a bike.
You can buy really nice stainless button head capscrews from McMaster Carr, and others - I use them often, in various sizes.

The one thing with stainless steel, is that it should always be lubricated / anti-seized, or installed with loc-tite, because stainless can gall when threaded into itself, or seize from corrosion, when threaded into aluminum.
Where can I find allen headed bolts? I'd love to replace rather than repair badly rusted nuts and bolts but hate using hex headed bolts that are commonly available. They look so tacky. I only buy a couple here and there and don't need large quantities.
Old 05-13-19, 12:42 PM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-13-21 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 12:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Fishing Seaport , So Marine hardware & supply Store , has abundant stainless steel stuff..

Wisconsin is not on a salt water lake.. that's in Utah ..

Old 05-13-19, 01:28 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
There are standards for strength of screws and bolts. There are properties like malleability, tensile strength etc. The ANSI standards are what industry is supposed to adhere to. Counterfeit hardware has caused problems for aircraft and other industries. Although it is only a bicycle, I question manufactures about strength of a part. I am going to use the SYZR pedals with my custom bicycle shoes I ordered. I called Speedplay and asked which pedal axle material had more strength. They told me the SS was the strongest. I have snapped more than a handful of pedal axles over the years and double that of crank spindles. This stopped in 1980 when I made the decision not to stand on the pedals anymore.
Old 05-13-19, 02:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I'd trust what the manufacturer put in them to be the proper strength. Unless you bought some really cheapo obscure POS's.

Some stainless steel is strong and other stainless is not. Stainless comes in all sorts of flavors.....alloys actually. In fact just about every metal in common use is an alloy because in a pure state, there is almost always something that any particular pure metal doesn't do well. Even gold. Depending on what other elements it was alloyed with and the percentages is what determines it's strength and other characteristics. Some stainless alloys are real expensive some are really cheap. Guess which the big box building supply stores sell.

A lot of bolts and nuts are sold as "ungraded" whether carbon steel or stainless steel or whatever. So you have little to no idea what the strength is. Learn how bolts are graded, use graded bolts and you'll know.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-13-19 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 06:04 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
Where can I find allen headed bolts? I'd love to replace rather than repair badly rusted nuts and bolts but hate using hex headed bolts that are commonly available. They look so tacky. I only buy a couple here and there and don't need large quantities.
Bolt Depot, for small quantities :
https://www.boltdepot.com/

I buy these from McMaster Carr, but they sell only larger quantities - In about any size or spec you'd need:
5mm, for bottle cages -
https://www.mcmaster.com/94500a298
6mm for some rack or fender mounts -
https://www.mcmaster.com/94500a315
Likes For mixteup:
Old 05-14-19, 07:26 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
There are two major categories of "Stainless Steel" in common use:

The 300-series which are known generically as "18/8 chrome/nickel" and have a low carbon content. The most common grades are 303 and 304. These are non-magnetic or only weakly magnetic, not heat-treatable and very corrosion resistant. They are moderately strong and more than sufficient for any bicycle fastener. Nearly all stainless steel spokes are 304 stainless and their strength is obviously adequate.

The 400-series sometimes called "stainless tool steels". These have a lower chrome content, usually in the 12%-15% area, low to no nickel, fairly high carbon content and often other alloying elements like molybdenum. These steels are magnetic, heat treatable to high hardness and strength and are used for cutlery, machine tools, firearms bearing balls and other items where their hardness and strength are required. Their resistance to common corrosives is good but not in the same league as the 300-series. You will rarely find them used for bicycle components.

There are other classes of stainless alloys, e.g. the "Hastaloy" series, that are used for specialty purposes where extreme corrosion, high abrasion resistance or heat resistance are required but these are far too expensive and exotic to ever be used in bicycles.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 05-14-19, 08:37 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
That is on brake levers, shifters or stem.
Yes, you can, but be aware that some of the more corrosion-resistant stainless varieties (e.g. 316) are VERY susceptible to what is called gall. The nut and the bolt surfaces stick and start to dig out material from each other when they rub together when tightened. You end up with a nut and bolt that are cold-welded together, and they are irrevocably ruined, with the only solution being to destroy both (sawing, drilling, EDM) to remove the remnants. Solutions are to use anti-gall compound before tightening, or to plate the SS surfaces (with silver, for example). Titanium also galls easily.

Given that one appeal of a bolt and nut (as opposed to a rivet or welding) is that you can make and unmake the joint, the galling issue is a point in disfavor of SS and Ti nuts and bolts.

Alloy steels are generally much less susceptible to galling, can be very strong, and are relatively cheap compared to SS or Ti.

If you have rusting or corrosion issues (e.g. you live by the ocean and often get salt mist in the air) SS or Ti might be desirable. Just make sure to use anti-gall BEFORE you make or unmake the joint, even under no load. If you are not having rust/corrosion issues, I'd avoid SS. If you are a racer or a weight weinie, Ti is more attractive. But again: use anti-gall!

Originally Posted by epnnf
I believe stainless steel is softer/weaker than alloy steel. Bout titanium? Please advise.
Not uniformly so. Reynolds 953 is a type of stainless that has incredible strength. Roughly 50% stronger than 4340 Chrome-Moly steel. Properly made stainless bolts can be very strong. See here for a comparison.

So it depends. And even within one class or another, regular (carbon/alloy) and stainless steels come in many grades. You could choose mil-spec bolts made from 8630 or 4037 (there are non-stainless steels). But even a lot of good fasteners (for example in the 8.8 class) are made from good old medium carbon steel.

So, I suggest:
1) If you are making and unmaking the joint a lot, I'd avoid both SS and Ti.
2) Unless you race, or accept the fact that you are a gratuitous weight-weinie, I'd avoid Ti.
3) If you use your bike in a wet and/or corrosive atmosphere (near the ocean, or in downtown Beijing) and have had or expect to have rust/corrosion issues, consider SS or Ti. If you do use either, invest in very good anti-gall. And use it. Religiously.
Old 05-14-19, 09:25 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Reality is most of the stuff you're going to come across in SS fasteners from Ace, True Value, McMaster, Fastenal etc when you ask for SS fasteners is going to be 18-8 - 304. On the low end you might find 302, but not normally.
This is the real world of what people mean and use when they say "stainless fastener".

Anything else you want 316, 316L, 304L, 400 series, you're going to be special ordering and know what you want/require or specify based on the requirements of the application.

304 is 95 ksi Tensile, 42 ksi Yield, and 55% Elongation. More than adequate for ANY bicycle application of fasteners. Even the imported stuff (which most of it is) is fine.
I've sent SS fastener samples to the lab for element testing to verify composition and have yet to have a SS fastener, import or domestic, fail to meet ASTM requirements.