Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

SOFTWARE UPDATE: New photo gallery, photo uploader, and mobile skin, April 24, 2018!

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

SOFTWARE UPDATE: New photo gallery, photo uploader, and mobile skin, April 24, 2018!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 11:16 AM
IBThomas
Banned.

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
That point is now, but that's not such a useful question. More important is what we're asking for. Can you folks deliver on the things we're asking for? You haven't given a yes answer yes. If you're not willing to say yes, can you say no?

I asked a few questions about infinite scroll, and you didn't answer them. If you did, you would realize how flawed your thinking is. Please take a stab at my questions. Please. OK?
Infinite scroll is likely to stay here for the time being, it's a matter of personal taste whether someone likes it or not. And as Paul said, the ability to disable it is readily available and not hard to access - meeting the needs of everyone who wants to keep the feature or not. It's not that high of a concern.
Old 10-17-18, 03:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by IBThomas
Infinite scroll is likely to stay here for the time being, it's a matter of personal taste whether someone likes it or not. And as Paul said, the ability to disable it is readily available and not hard to access - meeting the needs of everyone who wants to keep the feature or not. It's not that high of a concern.
The ability to switch it on is a feature only if you know it's there. Most will not even think to wonder about it. Why make scrollbars work differently from everywhere else? You haven't given a reason anyone would prefer it. It's like having people enter text with the escape key instead of Enter. Sure, it works, but it's not normal, so there should be a reason. Your tendency not to look at norms shows your lack of experience in user experience design. There are reasons for norms. You are ignoring them, as if you don't understand the concept. If you were making a car with a hand-controlled throttle on the dashboard, you would at least have to offer an argument why it's better than a pedal under the driver's right foot. You've offered no reason to use infinite scrolling. You haven't acknowledged that it takes more time to scroll nor the extra cost of downloading when on a pay-by-the-byte connection. I feel like you're skimming and not reading my text.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-17-18, 06:29 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The ability to switch it on is a feature only if you know it's there. Most will not even think to wonder about it. Why make scrollbars work differently from everywhere else? You haven't given a reason anyone would prefer it. It's like having people enter text with the escape key instead of Enter. Sure, it works, but it's not normal, so there should be a reason. Your tendency not to look at norms shows your lack of experience in user experience design. There are reasons for norms. You are ignoring them, as if you don't understand the concept. If you were making a car with a hand-controlled throttle on the dashboard, you would at least have to offer an argument why it's better than a pedal under the driver's right foot. You've offered no reason to use infinite scrolling. You haven't acknowledged that it takes more time to scroll nor the extra cost of downloading when on a pay-by-the-byte connection. I feel like you're skimming and not reading my text.

You have been making very pertinent points, but they don't seem to be understood or something.
Old 10-17-18, 10:01 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It's not as good as bacon.
Old 10-17-18, 10:03 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
It's not as good as bacon.
But what is?
Old 10-17-18, 10:19 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Chocolate and orange juice, but not together.
Old 10-17-18, 10:38 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Chocolate and orange juice, but not together.
You've got a point.
Old 10-19-18, 01:45 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
You have been making very pertinent points, but they don't seem to be understood or something.
Or, everybody has figured out infinite scroll, likes it, or figured out how to disable it, and therefore there's really nobody else making these same points/complaints.
Old 10-20-18, 06:01 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Or, everybody has figured out infinite scroll, likes it, or figured out how to disable it, and therefore there's really nobody else making these same points/complaints.
Correct. I learned how to enable/disable infinite scroll so I could try both features and decide on my own which to use. In the interest of World Peace, I will not divulge which path I have taken.
Old 10-21-18, 11:46 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I had to ask how to turn it off a long time ago because it was overwhelming me and I couldn't stop that crazy thing (Jane)!

If I wanted continuous scrolling it would be for stock quotes or a news crawler, not posts on a forums site.

That's too autistic for an autistic person.
Old 10-25-18, 05:35 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I never knew it existed.
Old 10-25-18, 08:32 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Check your settings (User CP), it may be defaulted to off.
Old 11-16-18, 12:54 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Any updates on the issues reported in this thread months ago?
Old 11-17-18, 11:37 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Do you still have them? Anybody else?
Old 11-17-18, 11:51 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Do you still have them? Anybody else?
We still can't see the start date of a post, when looking at the list of threads in a forum.
Old 11-18-18, 12:36 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

I go to page one and look anyway if I'm unsure. But then after 11 1/2 year I sorta know.
Old 11-18-18, 07:22 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

I go to page one and look anyway if I'm unsure. But then after 11 1/2 year I sorta know.

That is still a loss of forum functionality which seems strange we have to endure.
Old 11-19-18, 06:19 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hi all!

Please use this thread to ask questions and report any issues with the new mobile skin, photo uploader, or gallery tools.
Originally Posted by carleton
Any updates on the issues reported in this thread months ago?
That is still a loss of forum functionality which seems strange we have to endure.
I posted on 4/28:
Originally Posted by gugie
Mentions/quote notification should be #1 priority. It generates more use.:
You mean that more people possibly view your profile?

I killed that stuff off in the last version and never lacked for people looking at that, same for quotes.

Let's get the posting and editing features up and running right first? Mentions etc. were the last things added into it anyway
Originally Posted by obrentharris
You miss the point. Some of us actually like to communicate with each other:

Quotes and mentions are a great tool for doing that, also for moving discussions forward within a large and diverse thread. Just look at the number of times quotes have been used to forward this discussion.
Brent
Originally Posted by himespau
I imagine that he means that those of us who get e-mail notification of quotes and mentions are more likely to come back more frequently because our interest has been piqued to wonder what people are saying about our comments not that we want to look at the profiles of people..

And mentioning [and quoting] someone draws their attention to the thread in which they've been mentioned, which they might not otherwise visit, again bringing up the number of visits.

More page views => more revenue...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
As one who quotes frequently, I would hope that invites more subscribers to read my posts, rather than visit my profile..
My problem is:
To nest the quotes, I use this formula in a linear array (quote spelled correctly):[kwote=author A]...[kwote=author B]...[kwote=author C]...[/kwote][/kwote][/kwote].
Originally Posted by author A
Originally Posted by author B
Originally Posted by author C
Often the quote box eliminates spaces so I have to reinsert them. One annoying problem is that the quote function will often split a quote. I compose:
part A…Part B
and it comes out:

part A…
part B
You then have to copy “part A...,” and insert at the beginning the second quote box, and delete the entire first box, from "quote to "/quote."
…This was not a problem when I first subscribed to Bike Forums in 2008, but started a few years later, after the first major update I experienced (? sometime after about 2012).
The response:
I see those and still am like I'm freaking out. Break them up please, TMI
I posted this note as a request for help, not critique.

Or, is that valid advice, akin to that old medical joke:
Patient: “Doc, it hurts when I do this.”
Doc: “Then don’t do that.”
So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…” I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post…

I use ellipses,"..." to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I bold key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion.

While even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I have no idea what Rollfast's role is besides playing at being a moderator of some sort or another.
(from a now-closed thread) I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue. Personally for me, as a diversion, it’ s challenging to arrange the quotes, and to find them in prior threads.

I think it’s a succinct way to capture the variety of a topic..
Some subscribers like to be quoted.
Originally Posted by wphamilton
At last I'm enshrined in a Jim from Boston quote chain, feels like the big time! Thank you….
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Jim from somewhere between New Jersey and Vermont gave us a post which is more than one foot long---about short posts..

The rest of you just need to surrender and bow down.
Originally Posted by ksryder
Wow. That is masterful. I've always thought it was just self-indulgent and convoluted, but now I see that they are really performance art.

Bravo, sir. Bravo.
I am an Artiste...
BTW, FWIW I quoted ten (10) subscribers in this post other than myself.
...So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-19-18 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added BTW
Old 11-19-18, 08:03 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
One thing that we should keep in mind: the forum software had been reverted to an earlier version, primarily for ease of administration and set features. There are few, probably no, updates beyond security patches. There is no development of new features. Those which can be turned on and off via an administration interface are all that we are likely to see. So asking for new features and bug-fixes will probably lead only to frustration.

Disclaimer, I have no special relationship with this site nor any inside knowledge, and this is from my observation only.
Old 11-19-18, 09:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Not exactly. The version of vBulletin this site uses is listed as a version of 3 but it's a hybrid, a corporate version for the sites owned by the company which owns this site and several others and has no relation to the original;vB3 nor is it 4. No reversion was done, the platform was developed specifically for those sites.

Our owner also owns vBulletin Solutions.
Old 11-20-18, 12:24 PM
IBThomas
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We still can't see the start date of a post, when looking at the list of threads in a forum.
This is an issue that requires a bit more of tweaking on VB. We have the issue logged and it's something that we're still looking at improving.
Old 11-20-18, 12:28 PM
IBThomas
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SOFTWARE UPDATE: New photo gallery, photo uploader, and mobile skin, April 24, 2018!I posted on 4/28:My problem is:The response:BTW, FWIW I quoted ten (10) subscribers in this post other than myself.
I'm having a hard time understanding what you're getting at here with all the quotes. Can you breakdown what you're getting at?
Old 11-20-18, 12:56 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding what you're getting at here with all the quotes. Can you breakdown what you're getting at?
Thanks for the reply. Basically, when I try to nest a series of quotes in a continuously connected manner, the indiviual quote boxes get split up:
To nest the quotes, I use this formula in a linear array (quote spelled correctly):[kwote=author A]...[kwote=author B]...[kwote=author C]...[/kwote][/kwote][/kwote].
Originally Posted by author A
Originally Posted by author B
Originally Posted by author C
...One annoying problem is that the quote function will often split a quote. I compose:
part A…Part B
and it comes out:

part A…
part B
You then have to copy “part A...,” and insert at the beginning the second quote box, and delete the entire first box, from "quote to "/quote."
…This was not a problem when I first subscribed to Bike Forums in 2008, but started a few years later, after the first major update I experienced (? sometime after about 2012).
The rest of my post were linked quotes by various subscribers, including myself about the utility / value of quotes to further the topic of a thread, especially,
I imagine that he means that those of us who get e-mail notification of quotes and mentions are more likely to come back more frequently because our interest has been piqued to wonder what people are saying about our comments not that we want to look at the profiles of people.
And mentioning [or quoting]someone draws their attention to the thread in which they've been mentioned, which they might not otherwise visit, again bringing up the number of visits. More page views => more revenue.
...:
BTW, FWIW I quoted ten (10) subscribers in [that] post other than myself.
See what I mean?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-20-18 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added quotes by himespau and me
Old 11-20-18, 08:26 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

But you are mistaking multiple posts to be undesirable when perhaps addressing individuals separately is more clear. You won't be flogged by the Posting Gods necessarily for that.
Old 11-21-18, 12:53 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

This is an issue that requires a bit more of tweaking on VB. We have the issue logged and it's something that we're still looking at improving.

Thank you for the update.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.