Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Recumbent Trike - bike fitting

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 01:27 PM
TrikeBirder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After exploring the topic of a proper bike fitting, I'm sold. I definitely see the advantages and importance of such fittings for those wishing to improve their cycling performance, make intelligent equipment choices, minimize injury, and help maximize performance.

I started riding again 3 years ago after a 35 year absence from the sport. Compounding this challenge is that I exclusively ride a recumbent trikes now. Transitioning from 2 wheels to 3 has been enlightening to say the least. When I rode df bikes, I lived in the Traverse City (TC), Michigan area, roughly 25 miles from TC. If there was little chance of rain, I rode my bike to and from college from home to TC. The route was quite hilly and and really got my cycling legs in shape. I was in my twenties then, and I rode all the time.

Four artificial joints (hip, knee, two shoulders) and several decades of later, and I purchased a used TerraTrike Rover. Last fall, I purchased a used Catrike 559 w/ Rohloff hub and Schlumpf High Speed Drive. I can't begin to explain the pure pleasure of riding recumbent trikes. While they aren't typically as fast as df bikes, they are a blast to ride and amazingly comfortable. Currently, I try to ride every day alternating rides of 5-8 miles with my wife at slower speed 6-8 mph, with rides of 10-20 miles on the other days at nearly twice the speed (10-12 mph), but still fairly slow compared to df bikes.

Here are my questions:
  1. Would a trike fitting be advisable for me?
  2. What should I expect potential benefits of such fitting to be (i.e. determine best crank arm length, best x-seam to use, optimum cadence goals, etc) ?
  3. What should I expect to pay?
  4. How would I go about finding a qualified trike fitter?
  5. How do I evaluate potential trike fitters before selecting one, and how do I evaluate the actual fitting I might receive?
  6. How long should (might?) I expect a fitting to take? Also, how many separate sessions?
  7. If my goals are to continue my weight loss (60+# in three years), Improve my average cadence and speed, improve endurance and recovery, determine optimum crank arm length, cadence, x-seam, etc., might I be further ahead by hiring a personal trainer?
Thanks in advance for any and all opinions and assistance you might provide.
Old 07-17-18, 02:35 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Where did you buy your trikes? Do you have a local specialty store?

I would imagine that everything would be different between fitting an upright bike and a trike.

Fortunately, some trikes have a fair amount of adjustment with mast length, seat and handlebar position.

I wouldn't go be what a book tells you should fit, but rather what is comfortable to you, especially with crank length, and having had multiple surgeries.

Anyway, go back to your store and talk to them.
Old 07-20-18, 07:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've never heard of a personal trainer for cycling. They're usually called coaches, and in person cycling coaching might be a bit expensive. Online coaching isn't too bad, cost-wise. You'd need a Garmin or similar instrumentation to send files back and forth.

As far as fit goes, the most important thing is distance of seat to pedals. A good place to start is putting the heel of your cycling shoe on the pedal and adjusting the seat so that your leg is completely straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke, with no reaching. Then with your toe on the pedal in the normal position, you should have ~30° bend in your knee, give or take a few degrees for personal preference. Measuring that might a little challenging by yourself, but a friend with 2 sticks and a protractor can probably manage it.

All that said, as above, you should be comfortable. IME the best way to get fit and improve performance is to ride lots, especially on hills, and the best way to lose weight is to eat less, but you know that.

Trikes are pretty cool. Be sure to use a flag and bright lights in the daytime for visibility