Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Bar ends on fitness bikes

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Bar ends on fitness bikes

Old 09-24-18, 01:52 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
If I may suggest...and if there isn't a fit problem I can't see in this photo....

Switch the bar ends and the brake levers.

Make the set up GRIP BRAKE / BRAKE LEVER MOUNT / BAR END / STEM / BAR END / BRAKE LEVER MOUNT / GRIP

Right now it looks like the brake levers are sitting too far in to make them comfortable when holding the normal grips. If this feels awkward, swap the brakes and bar ends to the brake levers are another half inch outward and more accessible from the regular grips.

I did the same thing when I put my bar ends inside. Then after 2 rides I took it all apart and redid it because the brakes were awkward being that far back.

Originally Posted by McMitchell
I am about to test out this “inner bar” arrangement. I am thinking about ordering Ergon GP2 grips too. Ergon actually makes grips that work with Grip Shifters.

I cut the bar down to 680 too. Maybe bar tape for the metal bars?

Old 09-24-18, 02:31 PM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
If I may suggest...and if there isn't a fit problem I can't see in this photo....

Switch the bar ends and the brake levers.

Make the set up GRIP BRAKE / BRAKE LEVER MOUNT / BAR END / STEM / BAR END / BRAKE LEVER MOUNT / GRIP

Right now it looks like the brake levers are sitting too far in to make them comfortable when holding the normal grips. If this feels awkward, swap the brakes and bar ends to the brake levers are another half inch outward and more accessible from the regular grips.

I did the same thing when I put my bar ends inside. Then after 2 rides I took it all apart and redid it because the brakes were awkward being that far back.
Skipjacks,

Thanks for the suggestion,
I have Ergon GP2 gripshift grips arriving tomorrow, when I remove the parts from the handlebar I will try the arrangement you are suggesting.

My grip on my brakes is a little different. I have nerve damage in my neck that extends into my arms and hands. My hands go numb sometimes while driving a car. Instead of the normal single finger on my brakes I usually use a two finger grip to maintain a better feel. In the current position, I can get to the brakes fast from the different hand positions. The grip shifter on the right handle changes the orientation of the brakes on that side.
Old 11-04-18, 07:38 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Skipjacks, I have been in the process of moving, frustrating as bike tools and stand may not be where I am.

The GP2 “gripshift version” did not work with my SRAM gripshifter, not a big deal as I got them for $10. The gripshifter requires an interlocking grip. I ended up buying a second set of end bars, similar to the 3” endbars mentioned above. I figured putting those end bars outside my grips would put the grips at about 660 which is what I was trying to achieve, in terms of hand position.

The 3” end bars did not fit over the plastic clamp holders on the SRAM grips. I did a little testing and figured out the clamps on the end of the grips were not necessary so I sawed them off. I also took your suggestion and switched the position of the brakes and inner bars. I also wrapped the metal inner bars.

Last edited by McMitchell; 11-04-18 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-04-18, 08:35 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rather than moving futher off track from the OP’s post. I am moving my comments to one of my post on handlebars:
https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...s-hybrids.html
Old 11-12-18, 11:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
One solution I've found to the "reach the brake" problem is to let one hand ride the drop bar while the other stays in the basic flat bar position. It feels a little silly to have an asymmetrical position, and I don't stay in it long, but it does give that needed spell of vertical hand position to fend off the tingling.
Old 11-12-18, 01:47 PM
esteroali

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Extensions

Where can I get those extensions that Andrei has??
Old 11-13-18, 04:49 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by esteroali
Where can I get those extensions that Andrei has??
I'll post here what I once answered another forum member in a PM.

They're cheap no name aluminum bar ends that I bought locally (exactly like these):

See how they're made of 2 pieces: a base (clamp that goes on the bar) made of solid aluminum (I painted mine black to match the rest of the bar) and a thin aluminum tube that slides on top. Also observe how rather than being bent in the middle, these ones are bent at about 3/4. I think it's important for the final ergonomics. I managed to separate the two pieces (base and tube) by applying heat to where they were connected. I then flipped the extensions around so that the longer portion would point away from the handlebar and I aligned them in nearly vertical plane (pointing up and not inwards). Like this it nearly replicates your typical bullhorn bars or drop bar hoods. It wasn't my first attempt as I destroyed a couple in the process of finding the optimal configuration. Some models use some really strong epoxy-type glue or are spot welded. I don't think you can non-destructively separate those. So you have to get lucky. It's important that they be long enough to accommodate your hand on the straight portion with the heel of your hand resting against the bend. The ones that are bent right in the middle don't give you a long enough straight section to grab on to. Once I determined the optimal position, I glued the tubes back on their bases with some epoxy (wish I had used some hot glue instead... with epoxy it's permanent). I then wrapped them, doubling up the tape in some spots, where more pressure is typically applied (the inner part of the bend). I see some people who simply put this type of bar ends in the middle and call it a day. I tried that too at first but simply didn't find the position to be natural. I think in the end it was worth the hassle.

Here's the final result before wrapping:

I have since swapped the handlebar for a wider one (a 62cm semi-riser flipped upside down) so I can space them apart more (40cm vs 32cm on these photos)

Last edited by andrei_r; 11-13-18 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-18-18, 08:04 PM
esteroali

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i was REALLY disappointed today. I got my extensions but instead of being a two part clamp system it is just one bolt to tighten the extensions to the handle bars. This would mean I’d have to take everything off to get the bars on.. It was a no go. Looking now for a two part clamp on bar, I was thinking of getting aero bars and just leaving the elbow rests off and cutting the bars shorter. Looking for suggestions.

Last edited by esteroali; 11-19-18 at 04:27 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 06:54 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by esteroali
So i was REALLY disappointed today. I got my extensions but instead of being a two part clamp system it is just one bolt to tighten the extensions to the handle bars. This would mean I’d have to take everything off to get the bars on.. It was a no go. Looking now for a two part clamp on bar, I was thinking of getting aero bars and just leaving the elbow rests off and cutting the bars shorter. Looking for suggestions.
You will not find two-part clamp bar ends. That's just not how they're usually made (with the exception of the sqlab spergrips, which are designed to go inboard.) Aero bars usually have two piece clamps, but to install regular bar ends on the inside, everything has to come off, which isn't such a big deal in my opinion.
Old 11-29-18, 09:53 PM
wombat_alex

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Quick 4

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried Ergon GP2, GP3, and GP5. All but GP5 appeared quite short to actually provide a good additional hands position while GP5 provides at least three more due to it's curved inside shape. Highly recommend.
Old 12-01-18, 04:12 PM
esteroali

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New bars

So these are my new bars. Not exactly what I wanted but ok. I wish the spread of the handles was further apart but the cross bars are as far apart as the threads will allow. It’s a little dicey holding on there but I’m going to give it a go. If I think they are too unstable I may try to fabricate a wider cross bar.
Old 12-02-18, 02:16 PM
esteroali

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope nope nope!!!

Went for a ride today with these and discovered these will not not not work. To close together and too dangerous for me. Unless I can fabricate a wider speed bar it’s to the drawing board. Really bummed.
Old 12-02-18, 05:47 PM
wombat_alex

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Quick 4

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar extensions (can’t call them ends if they’re in the middle) resemble aero bars, and as such I’d assume they need to be longer and curved to actually be comfortable to use. Now, I wouldn’t put aero bars on a hybrid but I’ve seen people do it. But it’s important to remember what application they have and don’t expect miracles in easier climbing or sharper turning. With proper training it might change but it’s my impression.
Old 12-18-18, 05:18 PM
esteroali

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Final product. Very happy

Had center bar cut in half and lengthened.
Old 12-19-18, 03:20 AM
Randy Barat

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anybody tried the Jones Loop bar?
Old 12-20-18, 05:15 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 484 Posts
This thread brought up memories of Cipollini, Spinergy wheels, and Spinacci bars
Old 12-20-18, 11:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Question world wide ?

Originally Posted by Randy Barat
anybody tried the Jones Loop bar?
Yea, but not everyone is on this forum..
Old 03-17-21, 06:43 AM
DarkSkyHUnter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
What product are you using for the inner barends?
Old 03-24-21, 04:44 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSkyHUnter
What product are you using for the inner barends?
I have some no name barends, similar to these: https://www.bikester.co.uk/rfr-bar-e...ck-363547.html The crucial point is that they are adjustable by rotating them around the longitudinal axis, and also long enough to give two distinct hand positions (three, if you count the one where palms rest on the handlebar grips while thumb and 2nd and 3rd finger wraps around the barend)
Old 04-29-21, 04:03 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I need to wrap then in bar tape though because they are hard aluminum. Not great for holding for extended periods. But even without tape they are good for a few minutes just to get my hands off the normal grips.
I slide a piece of inner tube on my bar ends.