Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Does anyone use wing mirrors?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Does anyone use wing mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 05:43 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
ya, thanks on the adapter referral (dont need one, but might one day)
and also on noting that the compact is a more rectangular shape, I didnt notice that as I was only looking at the rod lengths.

would be interesting to try a compact one day.

I still think the Take a Look design is so elegant, simple, sturdy and so adjustable, both the mirror and the three point mounting areas.
A great product.

here is a well made diagram showing how versatile it is for changing its position in all kinds of ways. It is completely adaptable to all sorts of riding positions, helmets, glasses, shoulder size, you name it.

https://www.bikepeddlerbikeproducts.com/events
Old 03-06-19, 11:05 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
I used the Take A Look for many years. I was looking for tools online and saw the EVT Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror. I did not like helmet mirrors until I used this one. It has a 2 1/2" round mirror.
Old 03-07-19, 12:08 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I used the Take A Look for many years. I was looking for tools online and saw the EVT Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror. I did not like helmet mirrors until I used this one. It has a 2 1/2" round mirror.
My problem with mirrors that size is that they are too big of an object in my field of view looking forward.
Old 03-07-19, 12:57 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
I use the Ortlieb 'Ultralight' mirror. It's super-light so road vibration does not routinely dislodge it - only once in awhile - the ball joint maintains its position. However, being 'ultralight' means that the hose clamp is plastic on which a metal worm-screw rides - you can only tighten it so much before the metal screw just shreds the plastic hose clamp. Despite this it mostly stays put - a little electrical tape would help. The mirror is convex - takes a little getting used to.

Another possibility that I am considering is the Busch and Muller mirrors (lower photo). They have different length arms and supposedly come with hardware for mounting bar-end or attached around the handlebar. https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/mirrors.php

Old 03-07-19, 02:45 PM
ober27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I really like the Ortlieb Ultra Light. I put one on my Surly LHT, and one on my wife's old mountain bike with trekking bars last spring. I tried using a helmet mirror a few years ago, but got a headache everytime I rode with it.
Old 03-07-19, 06:45 PM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Another possibility that I am considering is the Busch and Muller mirrors (lower photo). They have different length arms and supposedly come with hardware for mounting bar-end or attached around the handlebar. https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/mirrors.php
I put one of these on a friend's bike and it is definitely a high quality product.
Old 03-24-19, 07:15 AM
Wozza2014

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm about to purchase the take-a-look but I am unsure which to go for - the compact or the original. I am based in the UK so I will be using it on the right-side and I read in a comment section on a webpage the following:

We’ve been told that the Original mirror can only be fixed on the right hand side of the helmet or glasses, whereas the Compact mirror doesn’t go on the helmet at all, just on glasses, but you can swap sides with this one.

This seems a bit of odd information about the Original considering the main market for this is USA.

I'm trying to find an email address for take-a-look but cannot find one even on their website. Does anyone know how to contact them?

Last edited by Wozza2014; 03-24-19 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-24-19, 07:44 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Wozza2014
I'm about to purchase the take-a-look but I am unsure which to go for - the compact or the original. I am based in the UK so I will be using it on the right-side and I read in a comment section on a webpage the following:

We’ve been told that the Original mirror can only be fixed on the right hand side of the helmet or glasses, whereas the Compact mirror doesn’t go on the helmet at all, just on glasses, but you can swap sides with this one.

This seems a bit of odd information about the Original considering the main market for this is USA.

I'm trying to find an email address for take-a-look but cannot find one even on their website. Does anyone know how to contact them?
I have only owned the originals, but it doesnt matter, the design of them allows both to be turned and work on both sides. You just rotate the various points so that it goes on either right or left sides.

read and watch video here, it is very clear how it works on both sides
Its a brillant and simple and robust design

Take-A-Look Mirror | TravellingTwo: Bicycle Touring Around The World
Old 03-24-19, 08:58 PM
JohnJ80

I have both and strongly recommend the compact.
Old 03-24-19, 10:21 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts

I have the original and I'm using it on the left (as pictured a couple weeks back here above). I could have used it on the right; it works on either side, but I'm in the USA so the left side it is.

I measured the arm on my original and the length (excluding the clip and excluding the mirror) is about 3 and 1/2 inches. Just eyeballing it. it looks like the arm on the compact is an inch and a half shorter. The mirror surface on the compact is smaller, but it's closer to your eye, so not sure if the image is about the same size? I really have to find one to try.

Last edited by rseeker; 03-24-19 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 10:52 PM
djb

Originally Posted by rseeker
I have the original and I'm using it on the left (as pictured a couple weeks back here above). I could have used it on the right; it works on either side, but I'm in the USA so the left side it is.

I measured the arm on my original and the length (excluding the clip and excluding the mirror) is about 3 and 1/2 inches. Just eyeballing it. it looks like the arm on the compact is an inch and a half shorter. The mirror surface on the compact is smaller, but it's closer to your eye, so not sure if the image is about the same size? I really have to find one to try.

Thanks for the photo, I will check my mirror to see length. As far as I've seen, stores here only so one model, so I'm not 100% sure which mine is.
Old 03-24-19, 11:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
There was a guy at NAHBS selling heavy duty tools, and he had helmet mirrors with stalks made from the oil squirter tubes used on lathes and mills. I can't speak for or against it except it looked like a neat idea. Wish I could figure out which company... can't find it now.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-25-19, 04:44 AM
Wozza2014

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80

I have both and strongly recommend the compact.
Can you expand on that please. Why do you feel it is better?
Old 03-25-19, 07:14 AM
djb

here is a side shot of mine, perhaps it is a compact, as the length seems to be shorter than the last photo.
3 inches from first mounting point rubber thing to the 90 degree bend where the mirror is.
Old 03-25-19, 07:25 AM
djb

I see now that the compact has a more rectangular mirror, mine is slightly rectangular, but the compact has a wider rectangle, which I can see from experience would be handy to have a wider view.
As to the shorter rod, I would have to use one to see how that is, although I think its reasonable to say that if you attach this to a helmet visor edge, like I do, then the actual distance from your eye will be diff from helmet to helmet.
Mounting it on eyeglasses may be a different matter, but I have never done this.
I do know I put a slight bend to the main "rod" on mine to have a slightly outward position, to see a bit better past my helmet or shoulder. Perhaps a compact on glasses would be a bit too far inboard--but this is a guess on my part, it could be perfectly fine.
Old 03-25-19, 08:09 AM
JohnJ80

Can you expand on that please. Why do you feel it is better?
it protrudes less from your head so I snag it far less. It’s much close to the rim of my helmet and I think that’s the reason.

The shape of the compact is more rectangular so it gives, IMHO, a better view behind. You don’t need vertical space on the mirror, you need horizontal space which limits head movement to a degree.

The rectangular shape seems to be less invasive in forward field of view.

Ive tried the regular a few times again but I always come back to the compact and find I like it far and away better.
Old 03-25-19, 04:02 PM
djb

it protrudes less from your head so I snag it far less. It’s much close to the rim of my helmet and I think that’s the reason.

The shape of the compact is more rectangular so it gives, IMHO, a better view behind. You don’t need vertical space on the mirror, you need horizontal space which limits head movement to a degree.

Ive tried the regular a few times again but I always come back to the compact and find I like it far and away better.
very good point about less head movement. I can very much see how this would be an advantage.
As far as I can tell, the store that sells them here in Montreal only has the regular, but I will keep an eye out for the compact version. Mine must be 9 seasons old now, and lots of trip time in there also, so I would purchase a compact if I could find one.
Good sales job in any case.
Old 03-25-19, 04:13 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by djb
very good point about less head movement. I can very much see how this would be an advantage.
As far as I can tell, the store that sells them here in Montreal only has the regular, but I will keep an eye out for the compact version. Mine must be 9 seasons old now, and lots of trip time in there also, so I would purchase a compact if I could find one.
Good sales job in any case.
Amazon carries both. That’s how I buy them. Great product.

Old 03-25-19, 05:24 PM
djb

found these details of dimensions (cant speak for accuracy)

-Available in two sizes: compact, which extends 50 millimeters and has a mirror size of 20x37 millimeters (HxW) and normal, which extends 85 millimeters and has a mirror size of 28x37 millimeters (HxW).

-
  • Overall Length: 87mm (shorter than the Original)
  • Mirror Dimensions: 37mm x 17mm.

and just measured my mirror, its 27mmx35mm

so it would appear that both have mirrors that are the same width, 2mm longer than my old one, but they diff in height of mirror--so ultimately, they have the same side to side view, but the shorter compact one may be less obstrusive to peoples vision.
AND as the main rod is shorter, still not sure if for me this would be better or worse.
Old 03-25-19, 07:17 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by djb
found these details of dimensions (cant speak for accuracy)

-Available in two sizes: compact, which extends 50 millimeters and has a mirror size of 20x37 millimeters (HxW) and normal, which extends 85 millimeters and has a mirror size of 28x37 millimeters (HxW).

-
  • Overall Length: 87mm (shorter than the Original)
  • Mirror Dimensions: 37mm x 17mm.

and just measured my mirror, its 27mmx35mm

so it would appear that both have mirrors that are the same width, 2mm longer than my old one, but they diff in height of mirror--so ultimately, they have the same side to side view, but the shorter compact one may be less obstrusive to peoples vision.
AND as the main rod is shorter, still not sure if for me this would be better or worse.
any mirror, or changing mirrors takes a bit of time to adapt.

The shorter mirror works a lot better for me since it’s not sticking out so far. I also wear prescription glasses and have no issues with that either.

They are about $15 on amazon so it’s a pretty small risk and it is returnable.

REI also carrries them, IIRC. Their return policy is legendary.

Have you checked your LBS? I know mine carries them.
Old 03-25-19, 08:06 PM
djb

any mirror, or changing mirrors takes a bit of time to adapt.

The shorter mirror works a lot better for me since it’s not sticking out so far. I also wear prescription glasses and have no issues with that either.

They are about $15 on amazon so it’s a pretty small risk and it is returnable.

REI also carrries them, IIRC. Their return policy is legendary.

Have you checked your LBS? I know mine carries them.
I didn't mention, I'm in Canada, so extra shipping, potential border fees equal to original cost, exchange difference.
Simpler easier and less expensive to buy a compact here.
Thanks for reply though
Old 03-26-19, 09:03 AM
Wozza2014

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback John. Do you mount the compact on your helmet or your specs?
Old 03-26-19, 02:57 PM
JohnJ80

Thanks for the feedback John. Do you mount the compact on your helmet or your specs?
Glasses. There is vibration between head and helmet and I find glasses give a much more stable view. I use Rudy Project Rydons.
Old 03-26-19, 03:42 PM
djb

Glasses. There is vibration between head and helmet and I find glasses give a much more stable view. I use Rudy Project Rydons.
another opinion here, I've always used them attached to my helmet visor and have never had an vibration issues, unlike the various handlebar/hoods mounted mirrors that I've used going back 25+ years.
I've always found my body takes away any vibrations, but then maybe I have a soft head, which people have inferred over the years, so it could just be that.
Old 03-26-19, 09:16 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by djb
another opinion here, I've always used them attached to my helmet visor and have never had an vibration issues, unlike the various handlebar/hoods mounted mirrors that I've used going back 25+ years.
I've always found my body takes away any vibrations, but then maybe I have a soft head, which people have inferred over the years, so it could just be that.
my experience is that helmet is better than attaches to bike and glasses are better than helmet. Getting it off of the bike is the biggest improvement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.