Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mojave Rattlesnakes; Multiple rattlesnakes in Camp; Low Sound; Appropriate Responses

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Mojave Rattlesnakes; Multiple rattlesnakes in Camp; Low Sound; Appropriate Responses

Old 04-26-19, 01:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
What about caterpillars? Caught this guy defiling my Ortlieb pannier two years ago. I was worried that he might strike and do me in. Are they dangerous when they lurk around your tent, especially at night? Those spines do look like they could inflict a fatal wound. What about if I encounter one in my mom's basement?

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-26-19, 01:27 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Strange, coyotes didn't make the list, never mind the dreaded jackalope. 🤔😁
They're stealth killers. Nobody ever can prove the dead bodies were killed by a jackalope.
Old 04-26-19, 01:43 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Strange, coyotes didn't make the list, never mind the dreaded jackalope. 🤔😁
Both did, but they were wearing dog suits at the time of the report.
Old 04-26-19, 02:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikesplendor
Okay, this is a reasonably serious situation, so please put the BS on a leash for this one.

I've had four encounters, two in less than twenty-four hours, three of the four right in camp; two of the four were "low noise." In past experiences, the rattles have been very noticeable and instantly unmistakable. The last two I barely heard. They were like a low-volume hissing. In one of those two, the snake was within striking distance, and I could have been bitten easily. In the most recent case, the snake actually started coming at me when I poked him with a stick to get him to move away. Supposedly Mojave Rattlesnakes are more aggressive.

I used to think they weren't such a big deal, kind of like a bad bee sting without the allergic reaction. That is, painful but not fatal.

Now I read this, after the latest encounter:
"Even though all rattlesnake species are venomous, this species is particularly dangerous to humans. The Mojave rattlesnake has the most potent venom of any rattlesnake in North America. Its venom is about 16 times more toxic than that of the Sidewinder (Crotalus cerastes) and surpasses even that of the tiger rattlesnake (Crotalus tigris)."

​​​​​And it has me concerned on a new level. I am not near medical assistance at all, and a bite could be much more serious than a bee sting. And apparently there are serious neurotoxins involved in the special case of Mojave rattlesnakes, that are different from other rattlesnake toxins. And the Mojave species are not uncommon in this area.

I don't really want to kill them (for several reasons).

What if the next one has lost its rattle in a fight (one of the ones in camp had lost part of its rattle, and it isn't unusual), so little or no sound. Or what it is just low-volume like the last two, but things go a little differently next time, or at some point?

No warning.

These guys can also be hard to see. They often blend in well.

I'm a bit concerned, and am open to any thoughtful and constructive suggestions.
Not a suggestion but a guess as to why the snakes are in camp and silent. The campsite probably has small critters coming in to scavenge garbage, etc. Those critters are rattlesnake dinners. If they rattle, their potential dinners hear it and leave.
Old 04-26-19, 05:01 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
What about caterpillars? Caught this guy defiling my Ortlieb pannier two years ago. I was worried that he might strike and do me in. Are they dangerous when they lurk around your tent, especially at night? Those spines do look like they could inflict a fatal wound. What about if I encounter one in my mom's basement?

I've seen them before. They eat carbon fiber and give birth inside the tubes. Then the newborns eat the inside of the CF. This is the real reason for CF asplosions.
Old 04-26-19, 06:41 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Actually, those hairs deter predators. Odds are that's one of the nasties where the hairs break off in your skin and can cause a lot of pain and inflammation. https://www.poison.org/articles/2014...rpillar-stings

I had a rattler ambush a jay in the dry leaves next to the little-used hike 'n' bike site atop Palomar Mountain years ago. Lots of leaves, six inches deep on the picnic table when I climbed up the little trail to the isolated site. I didn't do anything because at the same time the rest of the jays were scolding something hidden in the brush next to the campsite that was watching me. I left the snake swallowing the jay to go take a shower and attend the campfire program, but did a good search of the site when I got back to make sure it was gone. Hopefully whatever was in the brush was just a raccoon or coyote, and not a mountain lion, but it never made another appearance.
Old 04-26-19, 08:02 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
Beware the dreaded Puss Caterpillar! https://m.ranker.com/list/caterpilla...ic-vega?page=2

If you have rattlesnakes in camp you can either kill them or move on. I’m a great believer in “live and let live” but not when the thing I’m letting live may not share the same generous and enlightened attitude towards me! If I meet a snake on the trail I tip my hat to him and ride on but I stand firm about sharing a tent with one. And there’s no shortage of snakes to replace one.
Old 04-27-19, 03:29 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Good eatin'

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...uahuan-desert/
Old 04-27-19, 06:03 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Rumor has it they taste like chicken.. I wouldn't know.
Old 04-27-19, 06:12 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Just as I was looking at the article again, my kid starts talking about the new Diamondback Syn'r.

I made the obvious joke. His mom was not amused.
Old 04-27-19, 08:06 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Uhh, don't poke the snake with a stick?
Likes For Leebo:
Old 04-27-19, 11:19 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Rumor has it they taste like chicken.. I wouldn't know.
I've seen a few roadkills in the last few weeks, and they look more like beef, but I was never curious enough to try any. 🤔😉
Old 04-27-19, 11:22 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I actually saw a beef road-kill (i.e., cow) on my way into Island in the Sky a few weeks ago.
Old 04-28-19, 09:17 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As a meat for eatin', rattlesnake is, at best, okay. Better than frog, IMO. But snake is oily, and as snakes have pretty much no fat, it can be tough. Not fishy at least, which is good (frog is like a chicken-fish hybrid.) Snake is kinda one of those things you eat to say you've eaten it.
Old 04-28-19, 04:10 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Probably just needs the right dipping sauce. With curley fries. 🤔😁 I'm not very big on hot dogs, but the right chili & a decent bun can transform them into something semi-decent. 🙂
Old 04-29-19, 04:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Snake is kinda one of those things you eat to say you've eaten it.
+1. Had it at a function held by a natural sciences museum, along with crickets and some sort of meal worms. Rabbit, too, which I make for myself several times a year. Snake was just o.k.
Old 04-29-19, 06:34 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I actually saw a beef road-kill (i.e., cow) on my way into Island in the Sky a few weeks ago.
Now that I have never seen. I do recall driving past Harris Feed Lot along I-5, between LA and SF, and seeing an old cow skeleton in the median of the freeway. Apparently the cow was "shot while trying to escape", just like in the old WWII movies. But they just left the body there, I suspect, as an example to the other cows thinking of making a run for it.

"There has never been a successful escape, from Harris Feed Lot."
Old 04-29-19, 10:54 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
A few points:

First, how toxic the venom is doesn't mean anything unless it's coupled with the dose the snake delivers. I think I remember reading, some years back, that the only rattlesnake in the U.S. that can kill a 175 pound man is the eastern diamondback, because it's big and has correspondingly large venom sacs.

Second, physical barriers can protect you. Put on blue jeans and wear shoes in camp, if that's where you're most worried. Save the shorts and sandals for places where you're not so scared.

Third, back out of striking range. Obvious, I know, but it needs to be said. Cowardly? Maybe. Safe and rational? Definitely.
Deadly or not, any bite from a rattler is a serious concern. Of course, if it's a dry bite, then you don't have to worry about the venom. Otherwise, I'd certainly be concerned. And the Mojave rattler's venom is widely considered the most toxic of all rattlers.

Deadly or not, I don't want to be bitten by any venomous snake. It would quickly bring your tour to an end.

-Matt
Old 04-29-19, 06:10 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
started coming at me when I poked him with a stick
Really? Boneheaded move! In everyone of your earlier paranoid-posts I and others mentioned not messing with wild critters.

any thoughtful and constructive suggestions
Maybe you need to stay home, watch TV, & play video games.

Last edited by BigAura; 04-29-19 at 06:23 PM.
Likes For BigAura:
Old 04-29-19, 06:41 PM
BigAura

Old 04-29-19, 10:12 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

No wait, it says DON'T molest it. 🤓😁
Old 04-30-19, 06:58 AM
BigAura

No wait, it says DON'T molest it. 🤓😁
Fortunately the OP didn't get that far, but he did poke-it-with-a-stick which every rattlesnake-warning-guide, posted in parks & nature recreation areas, tell you NOT to do.

I also find it disturbing that the OP mentions his fleeting thought of killing it!