Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

NOOB Bikepacking Questions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 03:34 PM
bertusg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All - I have a couple of total noob questions. I have been biking longer and longer distances to get in shape, but haven't gone multi-day yet. I love the idea of self-supported long distance bike touring, and the freedom that comes with it. Not really jazzed about hotel to hotel riding although I'm sure a hotel is quite nice once in a while. In riding long distances...

1. Where do you camp? Can you just find a place to crash usually within a few miles of where you end up? Or is some level of nightly destination planning necessary? The Trans Am Bike Race /Inspired to Ride style seems really attractive - but the sleeping situation seems a bit sketch. How do you overcome this?

2. How much bike maintenance should I know to have confidence that I can get out of most situations in the boonies (e.g. a broken spoke?) I know how to grease my chain and fix a flat, can figure out a few more things I guess but don't feel very confident to go too remote in case something breaks.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-19, 06:15 PM
Howard70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Hello Burtusg:

1. Where to camp? Depends. Out in the western US there are vast tracks of public lands open to camping nearly anywhere. In those regions I look for sites close to water with great views. If public lands aren't accessible, I'll use campgrounds if available. I've stealth camped a few times, but prefer getting permission out of respect for land owners.

2. How much maintenance skill? More is better, but none is enough to start. Tightening stuff that loosens, lubing chains, adjusting brakes, fixing flats are the most common things I've needed to do. I've never had to replace a spoke, but I usually keep wheels in good adjustment.

Get out there & see what happens.

Howard
Likes For Howard70:
Old 05-01-19, 07:50 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
pretty much 30 years ago, when I got the hankering to do a bike trip, I was lucky in that a roommate of mine had worked at a bike store, so he was able to help me as I started learning more bike maintenance and fixing things. I was in the same boat as you, I wanted to learn more so that I would be more comfortable on a bike trip, and more knowledgeable about how to deal with stuff.
Listen, its like anything, learning a language or any new thing, we learn bit by bit, but the most important thing is to want to learn, and to start.

there are bike coops around where you can go and have someone show you things, teach you, but you'll be doing the hands on--which is the most important.
sure there are tons of great youtube vids out there, lots of them, some crap, some not,-- I highly recommend "Park tools" video series, Park tools is the best bike tool company out there, and their videos are very well made, instructive, well light, well explained, excellent for someone learning.

simply put, make the effort to learn and there are great resources out there, the more you know, the better it is.

bike mechanic stuff isnt that hard, but it is good to have a good mechanic check your wheels before going on a trip, so the spoke tensions are good, and this goes a long way to reducing any spoke problems--IF your wheels are appropriate to the weight you are carrying, AND you dont drive headlong into a giant pothole or jump off a curb on your loaded bike.

camping--personally, over all these years, I still prefer to be at a campground, simply for having a shower so I can be clean right after setting up my tent, and I can wash my bike clothes by hand in the shower or in a sink, and set them up to dry.

a second set of bike shorts and a shirt are a given if your stuff isnt dry for the next day, and you are all set.

so planning a bike trip where you can research campgrounds is nice, and this new fangled interweb thing allows all kind of good info to be found ;-)

sure, once in a while, camping out whereever you must does happen, but as long as you have water and food, it works out and you use common sense of where to wild camp, or ask someone if you can set up your tent in their field or whatever---again, use common sense and with water and food, it works.

depending on where you are, trying out bike touring for a short trip, 2 day, 3 day, where you can comfortably get to a campground each day, is a nice intro.

carrying all the stuff though means though that planning shorter days, like 50, 60km per day will mean its all doable and you arent totally bagged.
your mileage may vary, but the only way to know how a "reasonable" day is for you, is to get out there and try it.

good luck, its a neat activity, hope you try it.