Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 08-03-18, 09:45 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
It was typical summer here in Florida (HOT) with the exception of rain almost every day. The rain was needed because we've had a rain deficit for the last 3-4 summers. I still managed to ride almost as often as usual.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-04-18, 06:50 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts

This is my group of "gravel grinders" that rides every Tuesday from the local senior center, taking a break at one of our favorite spots along our favorite rail-trail. We're all decent riders by this point in the season and we're usually out for 25-30 miles each week, with a mid-ride stop for coffee and a donut and lots of good conversation at another favorite place. BTW, I'm standing way in the back, 3rd from the left. Age range from 60-80.
Old 08-04-18, 09:20 PM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Did 41 Miles today with group averaging over 17 MPH. First 20 Miles stayed with fast entire group and averaged 19-20.

Still getting back after serious fall last year and long vacation trips off bike.

FYI there are four of us over 70 in group of 60+ Riders. Most do better than me. Average age of total group in low to mid 50s.
Old 08-05-18, 06:43 PM
Mainiac

Bikes: Fuji Allegro, Miele Mountain Bike, Trek Domane AL 2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lost the last 2 weeks of July to pseudo-gout. Cortisone is wonderful. Still increasing my mileage from the layoff.
Old 08-05-18, 10:44 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Between running & riding I'm fried. An unavoidable consequence of getting older is needing more recovery time; every other day is unsustainable..for me anyway. I am spending the next three days stretching, chillaxing, napping, and eating fat.
Old 08-06-18, 06:12 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

A great month!!! A typical hot and humid July in NC.

We celebrated my oldest grandchild’s birthday at 2 years old and got him a stryder. He didn’t want to put on his helmet so my wife and I put on helmets and wore them for a while. When he saw it was okay so he put it on!!!

I got some riding in around Glacier and Canada.

One of my 50+ golfing buddies made a hole in one.

Life is good!
Old 08-06-18, 07:20 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi “old” guys. I am about to turn 69, so I guess this is my forum too.

I am brand new, just one other post. I am in the process of moving to Cherry Log, Georgia, at the foothills of the North, GA mountains. I am maybe 5-10 miles north of the “Mountain Bike Capital of Georgia” Ellijay, GA. The community I live in has a network of paved/gravel roads. I live on one of those roads and plan to ride most days. The roads are very hilly and there are large quantaties of very small gravel in many areas which are easy to slide on. There are many forest roads and MTB trails in close proximity.

I have two bikes a Rocky Mountain Sherpa, which I switched over to a SRAM 1X, 11 speed bike, 32t chain ring, 10-42 cassette, 27.5+ tires (tubless). l have been riding the Sherpa as my Focus Mares CX has a Shimano 105 2x groupset, 36/46 front and 11-28 rear, which is a problem on the sttep hills. I like the Sherpa so much I have decided to make a similar conversion to the Focus bike. I just bought a GX Eagle group set for the Focus Mares CX. I plan to convert the Focus bike to a flat Riser handlebar & grip shifters. The very steep ups and downs on the roads I ride may benefit from gripnshifters that allow fast multiple gear changes. I am obviously enamored with the simplicity of 1X groupsets. The Focus bike has two sets of tires and rims, 700-40C, tubless with Stans, 28mm Continentals for paved trails, roads and maybe commuting.

At my age I bruise easily and heal slowly so I am more interested in exercise than racing. There are steep drop offs at many places along the roads I ride. I found out the hard way how easy it is to roll off one of those slopes, crash & burn. Fortunately I only got a scrape or two but I learned to be more careful. I like flat pedals and flat riser handlebars for the increased comfort while riding and because I believe I could exit the bicycle faster.

I would like to learn to work on my own bikes. I have invested in a good many bike specific tools and a Park Bike rack. I hope to find other people to ride with in the area.

Last edited by McMitchell; 08-06-18 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-06-18, 11:55 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I increased the length of my XL toe clips by the width of a single nut. Just a modest incremental change but it felt better; and, I ended up with a ~5% improvement in avg. mph on my regular run-- I may have to add another nut...
Old 08-06-18, 09:37 PM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pursuance
I have two black skull caps for Winter wear.
Just put a white SPF30 on the wish list for my next order.
The skin on my forearms lived a rough life when I was a diesel mechanic so I always wear long sleeves and full fingered gloves.
Bandanas? When the sun is up a bandana is around my neck and last month I started using a nose guard on my dark glasses.

I'm considering one of those wide brims worn on the helmet as some recumbent riders wear.

In my 7 decades i've been concussed 4 times... so I always wear a helmet, even to go to the local shops.
I'm with you, long sleeves and neck protection. All those yrs of riding with no sun screen and tank tops. My skin is paper thin and bruises at the slightest touch. Have to get a nose guard.
Old 08-07-18, 03:23 AM
pursuance

Bikes: Bicycles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bent4me
I'm with you, long sleeves and neck protection. All those yrs of riding with no sun screen and tank tops. My skin is paper thin and bruises at the slightest touch. Have to get a nose guard.
I bought Beko nose guards. They will last but if I had it to do over again there are alternatives.
In the last few months the white head harvest from the nose has been reduced and pore size is down.

https://www.cancercouncilshop.org.au...ose-guard.html

https://www.nozkon.com/

https://www.instructables.com/id/Leather-Nose-Sunshade/
Old 08-07-18, 05:02 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
I know it’s only early August in northern New England but I feel the long, bike-unfriendly months of winter looming. I’m thinking of taking a month to drive south in March. I grew up in AZ and love the desert but that’s too far. I haven’t spent much time in the south and southeast but that’s what I’m thinking of for a winter getaway.

I do mostly gravel or combo paved and gravel rides and I like rail trails, too. Any suggestions from folks familiar with the Deep South or SE, ideally where camping is a possibility? Is it still too cold in many places that time of year? I know I could post this in the regional section but you folks are my age, so I figured I’d star in these friendly environs.
Old 08-07-18, 05:24 AM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pursuance
I bought Beko nose guards. They will last but if I had it to do over again there are alternatives.
In the last few months the white head harvest from the nose has been reduced and pore size is down.

https://www.cancercouncilshop.org.au...ose-guard.html

https://www.nozkon.com/

https://www.instructables.com/id/Leather-Nose-Sunshade/
Thanks
Old 08-07-18, 03:43 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by Greenhil
I know it’s only early August in northern New England but I feel the long, bike-unfriendly months of winter looming. I’m thinking of taking a month to drive south in March. I grew up in AZ and love the desert but that’s too far. I haven’t spent much time in the south and southeast but that’s what I’m thinking of for a winter getaway.

I do mostly gravel or combo paved and gravel rides and I like rail trails, too. Any suggestions from folks familiar with the Deep South or SE, ideally where camping is a possibility? Is it still too cold in many places that time of year? I know I could post this in the regional section but you folks are my age, so I figured I’d star in these friendly environs.
There are LOTS of campgrounds (RV parks) around central Florida and the snowbirds (many from New England) are here in droves during the winter months. We have several rail trails. My 2 favorites are the Withlacoochee Trail (only 6 miles from my house) and the Suncoast Trail (30 miles away). There are several other trails around this part fo the state.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-07-18, 06:58 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Been a 'warm' July here in Arizona.
Warmest start at 5:30 a.m .was 91 degrees. Got progressively warmer and hit 110+ by afternoon for several days.
At age 85 I only ride a couple of hours starting at sunup.
Pedal on!
Rudy/zonatandem
Old 08-08-18, 05:54 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by zonatandem
Been a 'warm' July here in Arizona.
Warmest start at 5:30 a.m .was 91 degrees. Got progressively warmer and hit 110+ by afternoon for several days.
At age 85 I only ride a couple of hours starting at sunup.
Pedal on!
Rudy/zonatandem
Kudos to you and the Mrs.
Here in Florida it's only mid to high 70s at 7AM with 90 to 100% humidity but the temp climbs quickly.

Old 08-10-18, 12:03 PM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
I am returning to cycling after about 17 months off due to inj8ury and laziness..
I am 66 tears old, 6'4", and weigh a plump 262#..
I pulled a hamstring in March 2017, followed by a sprained ankle in early April.
When I went for a couple of short rides (22 and 16 miles) in early July 2017, my right knee started to hurt rather badly.
I had the Big 4: torn meniscus. arthritis, Baker cyst and bursitis.
Went for PT before getting injected.
3 Rooster comb shots and many months later, my knee is not perfect, but does not seem to be irritated by "riding."
I use quotes because what I am doing now is a far cry from what I had been doing.
I have done 5 rides this week, 8 miles each, and have averaged between 13 and 14mph.
I try to avoid hills in the beginning, but will gradually feed them into the mix as my abilities return.
Upper body fatigue, as always after a layoff, is my first hurdle.
Saddle soreness also noticeable.
I am trying to keep from overdoing things, but it is difficult not to be discouraged.
I plan on increasing the mileage slowly, and ramping up the intensity....slowly, figuring
that I need to establish and enhance my basic fitness before worrying too much about weight loss.

does this sound reasonable, or should I be riding more (or, less...???)
Old 08-11-18, 01:32 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I second RonH's suggestion. After spending 62 years living in Central Maine my wife and I moved to North Central Fl (Ocala area). We try to ride daily on the Withlaccochee Trail. And there are several other trails near by. It's a great place to spend the winter months if you are done with the cold and snow as we are. However, unlike Ron, we tend to get out of Dodge for the summer months..... back to the North East and Atlantic Canada. Ride on.... Oh and Ron we are heading home in a couple of weeks. Look forward to seeing you on the trail.
Old 08-11-18, 02:50 PM
Ronno6

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
I second RonH's suggestion. After spending 62 years living in Central Maine my wife and I moved to North Central Fl (Ocala area). We try to ride daily on the Withlaccochee Trail. And there are several other trails near by. It's a great place to spend the winter months if you are done with the cold and snow as we are. However, unlike Ron, we tend to get out of Dodge for the summer months..... back to the North East and Atlantic Canada. Ride on.... Oh and Ron we are heading home in a couple of weeks. Look forward to seeing you on the trail.
We lived in Astor for 10 years, about 45 miles east of Otown.
Lots of wide open riding in lightly traveled roads over there.Straight and flat.
Now we're in South Mississippi, where there are lots of open lightly traveled roads, but nothing is flat or straight!
Old 08-11-18, 05:48 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronno6
We lived in Astor for 10 years, about 45 miles east of Otown.
Lots of wide open riding in lightly traveled roads over there.Straight and flat.
Now we're in South Mississippi, where there are lots of open lightly traveled roads, but nothing is flat or straight!
Did you ever ride on the Nature Coast trail out of Chiefland?
Old 08-12-18, 06:09 AM
Ronno6

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
Did you ever ride on the Nature Coast trail out of Chiefland?
I never rode that one.
Didn't do much trail riding.
Some Pinellas Trail when we lived near St. Pete, any others would have been 1x.

Longleaf Trace in Hattiesburg, Mississippi is nice
Silver Comet in Atlanta,too.
Old 08-12-18, 10:39 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Been a cold damned summer in the Bay Area. Looking forward to Fall. I know everyone East of California has been sweltering (but there's no climate change, lol) so I hope my cooler weather will head your way. Riding in merino wool in summer is the way we roll sometimes.
Old 08-13-18, 06:11 AM
Ronno6

Originally Posted by linberl
Been a cold damned summer in the Bay Area. Looking forward to Fall. I know everyone East of California has been sweltering (but there's no climate change, lol) so I hope my cooler weather will head your way. Riding in merino wool in summer is the way we roll sometimes.
What was it that Mark Twain was rumored to have said??...."The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer I spent in San Francisco.."
But he actually never said that....
Old 08-13-18, 07:33 AM
CrazyIvan

Bikes: Cannondale R600 Triple, Me-Mover FIT 2.0

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What was it that Mark Twain was rumored to have said??...."The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer I spent in San Francisco.."
I've been riding bicycles for a long time, so I was ready for some cross training with something that came close to spinning without risk of pounding my joints on my 80-year-old body.
I started riding the Me-Mover over 2 years ago and found I saved time aerobically, meaning I don't have to spend hours to get a good workout. The Me-Mover gets things going almost immediately, heart rate increases in minutes, with bonuses of standing, giving my balls a well-deserved freedom vacation, along with a needed core and other muscle workouts.
Diversification is needed, if not mentally, then physically, our bodies demand it.
Old 08-13-18, 09:22 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Some years this is more true than others. This year is one of them. Seems like there's a cool bubble from Northern Cal up through Oregon. Southern Cal is still getting heat. Of course, the Bay Area fog ("Karl the Fog") is our built-in air conditioning. I personally find it easier to get motivated to ride when it's colder out (merino wool bike clothing
is amazing) than when it's incredibly hot. I'm always impressed by the folks who ride in 90+ degree weather. I'd be a melted mess. The heat bothers me more than the cold at my senior age. Wishing all the rest of you some nice cool breezes.
Old 08-13-18, 10:06 AM
Ronno6

Originally Posted by linberl
I'm always impressed by the folks who ride in 90+ degree weather. I'd be a melted mess. The heat bothers me more than the cold at my senior age. Wishing all the rest of you some nice cool breezes.
When I was a young whipper snapper in my 30's and 40's I lived in St.Pete Fla, and would ride after work.
I found that, on 90° days it wasn't too bad while I was moving. What really sucked was when I picked up the
speed in order to get thru a traffic light only to have it change at the latest possible second...........
THAT hurt !!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.