Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura-Ace durability on a cross/ dirt drop application.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-13, 08:49 AM
mountaindrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently scored a pair of Dura-Ace 9 speed Stis and I put them on my cross bike (that primarily get ridden on technical singletrack) . Should I be concerned that the front nose covers ate plastic? My old setup was a homemade version of the retroshift with metal thumb sifters in the front of the brake levers. They got smacked on trees or ground into dirt in a couple of crashes and showed no damage, but I worry about these fancy shifters. Am I going to ruin them the first time I crash?
Old 01-31-13, 09:22 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
It depends on how you crash and what you hit. Andy.
Old 01-31-13, 09:24 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I don't know about the vulnerability of the plastic covers but I have to assume that getting dirt, water and debris into the shift machanism is not going to do a lot for its longevity. Riders do use brifters on cross bikes but I'm sure the replacement interval is a lot shorter than for road use.
Old 01-31-13, 09:54 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I think the question actually is: Does Dura Ace sacrifice durability in exchange for its focus on being super light weight? I don't have enough user experience with Dura Ace to have an opinion and have wondered the same thing. Another way of asking would be: If price is not a consideration (i.e. I could easily afford Dura Ace) would Ultegra or 105 still be a better option for rough conditions and rougher usage?

Last edited by dbg; 01-31-13 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-31-13, 10:01 AM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
my fantasy cross bike would probably have deore on it and a 135mm rear locknut width, and be a compact 2x9
Old 01-31-13, 10:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Chain and cassette , replace as if it were cheaper.. , just pay more for the replacements..
Old 01-31-13, 10:18 AM
adclark
What's a bike?

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have crashed before riding my cross bike on singletrack and had a rear Tiagra shifter stop functioning temporarily. I was able to get it working again by flushing all of the dirt and grass out of it, but it seems like the shifters are the first thing to get hit in most crashes. I have never cracked the front plastic covers, but the shifters look pretty terrible from all the scratches, dirt and whatnot. Of course, I could try crashing less and then it wouldn't be an issue but I haven't broken a set yet thankfully.
Old 01-31-13, 12:13 PM
mountaindrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dbg is right on target. I don't need super light weight, but I got a great deal on some used brifters. I just don't want to break them. If they will be a liability, then I need something else
Old 01-31-13, 01:02 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Have you looked into the Retroshift products? https://retroshift.com/

They have been designed for applications such as yours. Simple and rugged. Your choice of Shimano downtube or bar-end shifters.
EDIT: They are provided with Microshift shifters or shifter-less to use your own.

If you bust the brake body, they'll send you a rebuild kit or repair them for you, same price.
https://retroshift.com/store/products...and-re-builds/

Last edited by dsbrantjr; 01-31-13 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-31-13, 01:46 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Have you looked into the Retroshift products? https://retroshift.com/

They have been designed for applications such as yours. Simple and rugged. Your choice of Shimano downtube or bar-end shifters.
EDIT: They are provided with Microshift shifters or shifter-less to use your own.

If you bust the brake body, they'll send you a rebuild kit or repair them for you, same price.
https://retroshift.com/store/products...and-re-builds/
I've recommended these things to the point I'm sure some of you think I work for the company or am an investor. I have no connection to them other than as a customer.

Retroshifts are the least expensive alternative to real brifters I know of and are very versatile. You can use your own Shimano or shimano compatible downtube shifters or the levers from barend shifters in any "speed" you want or as strictly friction or they are available with Microshift shifters in 9 or 10-speed versions. Their major disadvantage is that you can only shift from the hoods but that's easy to put up with.

I have them on my Surly Pacer "rain bike" using 8-speed Shimano downtube levers and on one of my road bikes using the Microshift 10-speed levers. They work well in both applications.
Old 01-31-13, 01:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Pros use premium components because it's their Job..

and they get a bunch of spares , and new stuff every year.
Old 01-31-13, 02:29 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Pros use premium components because it's their Job..

and they get a bunch of spares , and new stuff every year.
And non-sponsored riders who have the money use them because:

a) The pros do.
b) The highest level components are lighter, more precise, prettier and have more social status with their peers.
c) They are convinced it makes them faster.
Old 01-31-13, 03:36 PM
mountaindrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you read the original post, these brifters are replacing my own rippoff retroshifts. Those work great but are only usable from the hoods. I ride almost exclusively in the hooks (dirt drop style) you have to completely take your hands off of the grip to shift. Not a design flaw per se, but a severe limitation. Same reason a won't use Sora brifters or similar.
Old 01-31-13, 03:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindrew
Dbg is right on target. I don't need super light weight, but I got a great deal on some used brifters. I just don't want to break them. If they will be a liability, then I need something else
In your shoes, I'd try to unload them for a small profit, and buy something more durable. Don't think of what you paid, but what they're worth or would cost to replace. Even if you got them free, it wouldn't make sense to trash them.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-31-13, 09:18 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I don't think DA STI will fare any worse than other brifters in a crash, but if you crash your brifters don't expect them to survive... If you don't like retroshift, have you considered regular bar-end shifters?

I'd probably sell the DA and find some cheap used Tiagra or 105 STIs if you are set on brifters. That way, when you destroy them, it won't sting as much.
Old 02-01-13, 05:02 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't see the DA brifters being anymore vulnerable to damage than a lower-line Tiagra or 150 set because they are actually produced with better quality materials, but you may be able to trade the DAs for two sets of Tiagra so you have a spare set just in case. Personally, I'd keep the DA and not worry about it unless you crash alot.

BTW: I saw a guy recently with a drop bar Mtb that had a homemade set of really cool neoprene "covers" that he had fitted to cover the brake and shifter pivots on his 105 levers. They were loosely cupped at the top to cover from the top of the front of the hoods down to cover about 1½-2" of the top of the brake levers, and then wound tightly back around the back of the lever to cover the pivots. They fit quite tightly were they needed to, but they caused no drag on either the brake or shifter, and the neoprene padding would certainly help to protect the levers from impact damage in a mild crash as well, and they would keep dirt and grit from fouling the braking/shifting even if the entire brifter was dropped into a mudhole.

I wish I had thought to take pictures, but they appeared to be very simple to make with just one short seam sewn across the top to form the loose cupped "crown" over the top of the front of the hood, and one seam up the back of the piece that covered the back of the lever and the pivots. I currently am without either a CX or dropped bar Mtb, but these will certainly be at the top of my list when I build my next one.
Old 02-01-13, 08:16 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by mountaindrew
I ride almost exclusively in the hooks (dirt drop style)
Then you are a logical candidate for barend shifters since your hands are right there.