Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Clyde Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 10:11 AM
Armyofscipio

Bikes: Cervelo RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clyde Racing

I have always been interested in crit races but i know i will be at a disadvantage because of my weight. I weight 240 down from 300 but watching videos online of cat 4 and 5 riders kind of has me second guessing. Any heavier riders have racing success?
Old 05-15-15, 10:44 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Depends on how you measure/define "success".

When I raced 5s & 4s, I could finish top-5 with good effort. Got 2nd once with alot of effort (finishing behind another rider, who I have learned since, is more talented than me, and lighter--it was not a bad result on my part). I could finish top-10 without trying too hard.

But, now that I'm in 3s, they're younger, stronger, faster, lighter. They whoop me in the sprints.

I also race Masters categories alot. However, I live in SoCal. And that means so do former Olympians, World Champions, and an occasional Tour de France rider. All riding Masters. Success for me in those races is not just finishing with the pack (what it used to be), but being active: going for a prime, going with a breakaway attempt, moving around the field at will, etc...
Old 05-16-15, 04:28 AM
Armyofscipio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly what you were talking about is success to me. My first race if i dont get dropped would be nice but i want to be able to finish in the top ten at least. I want to know that its not hopeless
Old 05-16-15, 07:19 AM
mkadam68

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Hopeless? No, of course not.

But make sure you've got some fast paced training rides around you in order to get ready. You can train by yourself all you want, doing intervals 'til you're blue in the face. But racing's a different beast. Racing is doing intervals, but then recovering in-between at 25mph. Or an interval followed by a harder interval without a break in-between. Or doing four 10-second intervals (corners) every 2-minutes for 30-45 minutes total. Then add in the close quarters riding, the bumping of shoulders & handlebars... Awesome time!
Old 05-16-15, 10:51 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
First -- CONGRATS on the weight loss, that's HUGE!

Find a fast (A or AA) ride in your area, and go with them. If you can hang, participate, pull, then you're in the ballpark. Ask your local shops about fast rides, those that simulate race conditions --i.e. riders plan and expect to breakaway etc. Get into those and see how you do. It will give you a really good gauge of whether or not to pay $$ to get lapped in the first 15 minutes.

The one thing I learned from racing (and getting pulled in every one of the 3 races I tried): it's faster than you think, and then a little faster than that. It's a blast, but be prepared for some crazy fast guys, even in the 5s.

What's your training like now?
Old 05-16-15, 11:53 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
racing is a ton of fun, even if I know I won't win, I will play my cards to my advantanges and hide everywhere else Going out at full tilt for 30-40min is something addictive.

Come to the line really warmed up, those first 10-15 mins will be blistering and the field shakes up the field from that that shouldn't be there. In the 5's here in socal I still have 25-27mph ave over the 30mins, and that with a ton surging exiting each turn if not in the front 1/3. It is impossible to train at those speeds by yourself, non the less the bumping at those speeds.

Cyclocross season is few month out as well, same style..almost. The sprint is at the start of the race, eyes will roll back even faster + you have to run some, hike some, crash some (on grass/dirt), get lost in the maze of tape. IMO CX racing is much harder that crit racing, less pack hiding, all out power for use big guys, sprint turn to turn. But is the perfect stepping stone to crit race next yr
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-16-15, 04:53 PM
Armyofscipio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the sounds of it i need to do more heavy group rides. Tomorrow ill be going out on a ride with a guy from my lbs that is on a local sponsored team. Ill see where im at with him i guesd
Old 05-16-15, 05:28 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyofscipio
From the sounds of it i need to do more heavy group rides.
Yes you need to get into more rides where you give up full control over setting speed (unless your on the front)

Have fun
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-16-15, 06:57 PM
Cosmic Hawk

Bikes: BMC Time Machine TMR01

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished a triathlon. Sitting here waiting for the official results. I just beat 190 of the 200 entrants. Never race before in my life on a bike and I signed up for this 3 weeks ago.

I used my friends 500 base model Roubaix at 223 pounds.

Everybody passed me in the swim though so it was a lost cause anyway. Haha
Old 05-16-15, 07:30 PM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started racing again a few years ago. Race both mountain and CX. Nice part of racing is you find yourself racing against the same guys every week. Some weeks you have the bigger motor, other weeks they do.

Success for me mostly means showing up, pinning a number on, and getting dirty. Have hit the podium a couple times too. Feels awfully nice knowing on that particular day everything worked right.
Old 05-16-15, 07:38 PM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
Cyclocross season is few month out as well, same style..almost. The sprint is at the start of the race, eyes will roll back even faster + you have to run some, hike some, crash some (on grass/dirt), get lost in the maze of tape. IMO CX racing is much harder that crit racing, less pack hiding, all out power for use big guys, sprint turn to turn. But is the perfect stepping stone to crit race next yr
You forgot to mention the best part about CX ... the handups. Usually beer but licorice https://vimeo.com/108745916 and fireball whiskey too. Got a shot of fireball late in a race last season. Was expecting beer and got a big surprise when I downed it!

Last edited by 1242Vintage; 05-17-15 at 07:37 AM. Reason: link
Old 05-16-15, 09:35 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Don't be scared. You will lose, most of us do. CX is a blast, but a total ass kicking. I like the six hour mountain bike races, they are the only type I can place near the top in.
Old 05-16-15, 10:03 PM
mkadam68

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Tomorrow ill be going out on a ride with a guy from my lbs that is on a local sponsored team. Ill see where im at with him i guesd
Don't take too much out of it. What if he's just doing an LSD ride? Or maybe his job is to sit in the wind for 2-3 hours, and not follow a wheel, while you can feel free to sit & draft. Of course, if he does that and you struggle to follow his wheel anyway, you'll at least have one answer...
Old 05-16-15, 11:25 PM
Armyofscipio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figure i can get some sort of gauge from him. I've only ridden solo or with the ssme 4-5 people so i have no idea besides average mph how fast i am

Originally Posted by mkadam68
Don't take too much out of it. What if he's just doing an LSD ride? Or maybe his job is to sit in the wind for 2-3 hours, and not follow a wheel, while you can feel free to sit & draft. Of course, if he does that and you struggle to follow his wheel anyway, you'll at least have one answer...
Old 05-17-15, 06:29 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride pretty fast but occasionally get passed by real cyclists. This happens rarely on the morning commuter trail but quite often on the afternoon recreational trail. At least once a day, a guy in full garb with sponsor print on his shirt blows by me like I'm standing still. It tells me I wouldn't fare too well in a race. But, if racing is your dream, go for it.
Old 05-17-15, 07:06 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I figure i can get some sort of gauge from him. I've only ridden solo or with the ssme 4-5 people so i have no idea besides average mph how fast i am
Yeah, don't think that he will be the true marker for you. A lot of pro guys go out and just tick over the miles for training in my area.

Just throw your hat in the ring and have a go! I read far too many stories of people who have a belief that they have to be ridiculously fast before they can even think about having a go. Truth be known you can be fast, but absolutely suck at the art of racing. You will learn more in a few races than you possibly will in a full year of riding out on the road to get fit. The intensity can also vary ridiculously from race to race, it just depends on the mindset of the other riders. I did exactly this myself. I got smashed by guys twice my age for the first few weeks, and by the end of my first season, I easily won my grade in the club champs. ENJOY!
Old 05-17-15, 07:13 PM
Armyofscipio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I guess i gotta just find a nearby race