Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Calabasas area bike shops for rental bike.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 09:12 PM
c_bake

Bikes: Kestrel RT900SL, 1975 Viner, Specialized StumpJumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to be out in the Calabasas, California area in a couple weeks and would like to rent a road bike for a day. Can anyone recommend a good shop to do so? I will be taking my own pedals, seat bag, helmet, shoes etc. Just need the bike and a few good routes.
Old 06-16-15, 11:26 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'm afraid I do not know if they rent bikes, but Mike is the best! Pedalers Fork. In fact, I think they're the only bike shop IN Calabasas. Outside of there, there's Serious Cycling & Win's Wheels, both do quality work. Santa Monica Mountains Cyclery is also not too far away, in the San Fernando Valley. There's even a Performance up the street.
Old 06-17-15, 05:28 PM
dcsix

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp SRAM Rival, 2008 LeMond Victoire Dura Ace, 1994 Santana Sovereign Tandem, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Shimano Deore, 1975 Raleigh Super Course Mark II

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi c_bake, in Santa Monica there is Helen's Cycle's and they rent bikes. There may be a closer shop to Calabasas but if you are by chance coming into LAX then Helen's is not a bad detour when heading to Calabasas. Helen's is open til 7 p.m. M-F, not as late Sat/Sun. They show 3 Cannondale models available and 2 Trek; Ultegra, Ultegra Di2, and Dura Ace. It's an excellent shop, sort of the home shop of Velo Club La Grange, a possible source for a ride, a great club.
I don't know either if Pedaler's Fork rents, but it's certainly a good first stop to find a ride.
Cheers!

Helen's Bike Rentals - Helens Cycles Santa Monica California

La Grange Organized Rides | Velo Club La Grange
Old 06-18-15, 10:54 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I'm local and my favorite shop (after trying them all) is Michael's Bicycles Newbury Park I'm not sure if they rent, though.
You can also try Serious Cycling / Products & Services I know they do rent and they host a spirited group ride on multiple weekend days.

If you want more info about local clubs and routes and such, lemmie know what you're looking for in terms of routes, climbing, distance, etc. and I can point you in the right direction for some good routes. You're visiting cycling heaven (which I'm lucky enough to live in!) so make the most of it!
Old 06-18-15, 04:06 PM
c_bake

Bikes: Kestrel RT900SL, 1975 Viner, Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the info! I'm pretty excited to finally get a chance to ride out there even if it is just for a day. I'm going to make the most of it!
Old 06-18-15, 04:14 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Make sure you do the rock store climb, just because. If you ride on PCH try to organize a route that goes generally southwards to take advantage of the prevailing tail winds.
Old 06-23-15, 01:58 PM
dangerd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Santa Monica Mountains Cyclery, Highly recommended. Great bike shop.
They are pretty close to Calabasas.
Not sure if Pedalers Fork rents bikes but it's a great place to go for a beer / coffee / meal.