Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Group rides and insurance liability

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-16, 01:36 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I've been asked to lead a 20 mile group ride once a week for a local bike shop. I'm not affiliated with the shop in any professional capacity, just a customer.

Will I risk legal recourse in the event a participant becomes injured while riding in this group?

Can I avoid direct liability through insurance of some kind?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-08-16, 01:56 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
I think you need to make it clear that rides are voluntary and riders assume all risks of riding. You could ask the shop if they need riders to sign a waiver.
Old 01-08-16, 03:13 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I've been asked to lead a 20 mile group ride once a week for a local bike shop. I'm not affiliated with the shop in any professional capacity, just a customer.

Will I risk legal recourse in the event a participant becomes injured while riding in this group?

Can I avoid direct liability through insurance of some kind?
Strictly speaking: no. Anyone can sue anyone else for anything they want. "I don't like the color of your hair. I'm suing..."

Insurance doesn't help you avoid liability. It helps you pay if you've been found liable/responsible.

Unfortunately/fortunately, cycling has not been susceptible to frivolous lawsuits over the years, so there's not much of a judicial track record to go on.

I'd talk with the shop owner, see if you can't become an employee for just the rides. Even say $1 per ride. Should be more, though. After all, the ride is a marketing thing for him/her. They're trying to encourage cycling and make money off it.
Old 01-08-16, 03:22 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Yes, I agree with the above reply. There is no way to completely protect yourself from being sued. When I worked with a development team, I had a ton of coverage. I would ask to see what the shop can do for you. I wouldn't run a ride without some kind of protection.
Old 01-08-16, 03:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Is this a regular event with the shop?

I've been on rides where people just show up.

Also, one had a sign-up/waiver sheet. That would help limit liability and get a list of participants, should one choose to track rides, or create a member mailing list.

Anyway, if you have a concern, talk to the shop about developing a waiver/sign-up sheet if they don't already have one.

Be thoughtful in your ride. Stop at stop signs and traffic lights. Signal. Call out road hazards. If it is a "no drop" ride, make sure you keep track of the stragglers (designated sweeper?). You should be fine if you take care and are safe.

Wrecks happen, and then there is the question of who was the cause of the wreck. If you take a ride through a red light and someone gets smashed, then it may be your fault. If a group of riders decides to race down a hill, it would be up to them to stay safe (unless you're leading the 50mph sprint around hairpin turns).
Old 01-08-16, 03:39 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
If the shop has a USA Cycling club then if the ride is associated as a club activity then it is covered under the club insurance. Otherwise you need to look for a separate insurance rider and have people sign a release if this concerns you.

Old 01-08-16, 04:13 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Releases can help if you do get sued, but they don't keep you from being sued. You want some kind of insurance that pays for the expenses of lawyers and other related xosts. I teach school for a living. Through the education association, I have huge coverage.
Old 01-09-16, 04:51 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
As pointed out, biggest problem is legal fees if you do get sued.

Your homeowners insurance will likely cover you and provide a defense to such claims. (Read the policy and talk to your agent).

If you have substantial assets to protect add an umbrella policy.
Old 01-09-16, 08:54 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Agree with other comments, anyone can sue anybody for anything regardless of signed waivers, etc. Once you're named, you've lost unless insurance is available to pay defense costs. A business sponsoring such rides should have insurance for this and the policy may cover you. If it were me I'd want a written confirmation from the insurance agent or company that I was covered and/or be added as a named insured for the event. I would not rely on the shop to indemnify you without having insurance, I don't think most shops generate the sort of money that a lawyer will burn through.