Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Redshift suspension seatpost review

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 02-08-20, 04:03 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

As you may already know I am very much into finding the most effective (in terms of improving comfort) bike parts. I already tested many suspension seatpost so I had great expectations towards a seatpost made by the same company that has created a suspension stem. And after all of my testing, I can say that this seatpost really works well in terms of comfort improvement but this is still a spring suspension so you have to do a lot of fine-tuning to make it work best for you. If you are interested in more detail just read my review:
https://gravelbikes.cc/tests/redshif...atpost-review/

And if you have any questions just ask me. I will be doing a big suspension seatpost shootout in coming weeks so I can check/test things you want.

Cheers!
Likes For sweetspot:
Old 02-08-20, 10:12 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
so what is the purpose of the magnetic cover? any issues attaching a saddle bag? Did you adjust the saddle height compared to regular seatpost?
Old 02-08-20, 11:31 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
No offense to anyone involved, but in my mind it's bonkers that the Redshift post (which uses two springs) costs more than a PNW Coast (which is a hydraulic dropper with air suspension.)

As a happy owner of a PNW Pine, dropper > anything else.
Old 02-08-20, 12:19 PM
sweetspot

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
so what is the purpose of the magnetic cover? any issues attaching a saddle bag? Did you adjust the saddle height compared to regular seatpost?
It protects the mechanism from debris but Redshift told me it was done just to make people sure that anything wrong will happen and you can run the post without the cover. To be honest, it looks kind of weird, especially with the rope attached and the magnetic bolt can be sometimes irritating when it attaches to the wrench while installing the saddle.

Saddlebag could be a problem because of the movement of the whole mechanism. I will ask Erik from Redshift about that to be sure. And yes, this post has around 6 mm of sag, so you should adjust the saddle height accordingly. But this is a small adjustment and to be honest you will barely feel the difference even if you don't adjust the saddle height at all.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
No offense to anyone involved, but in my mind it's bonkers that the Redshift post (which uses two springs) costs more than a PNW Coast (which is a hydraulic dropper with air suspension.)

I am very interested in finding out how PNW Coast performs. Hopefully, I will get one soon for testing!
Old 02-08-20, 01:09 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Thanks. I have the redshift seatpost but haven’t had a chance to install it. I got a new bike and am dialing in that fit before adding the redshift seatpost. They mention somewhere on their faqs about saddlebags but nothing definitive of course.
Old 02-09-20, 03:45 AM
sweetspot

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
Thanks. I have the redshift seatpost but haven’t had a chance to install it. I got a new bike and am dialing in that fit before adding the redshift seatpost. They mention somewhere on their faqs about saddlebags but nothing definitive of course.
Hi, I got the answer from Erik. The saddle that is attached only to the saddle rails will work just fine. The more traditional saddles that are mounted both on rails and seatpost should work also (they tested different examples of saddle bags and many of them performed well) but of course, they did not test everything that is available so there is no 100% guarantee that each and every saddle bag will work flawlessly with their seatpost.
Old 02-10-20, 12:20 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Odd that you don't mention the sag in the review. Exactly the kind of real-world detail I hope to get from reviews, not as a surprise when I buy something
Old 02-11-20, 11:38 AM
sweetspot

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
Odd that you don't mention the sag in the review. Exactly the kind of real-world detail I hope to get from reviews, not as a surprise when I buy something
Fair point but to be honest I did not even think that I should mention that (maybe I do too much of testing and sometimes forget that my readers do not need to be as well informed as I am).

Of course that there will be sag in each and every suspension seatpost on the market. It has to be, there is no other way around and I don't see the problem with it. At all. But you are right, you should know before buying and installing this kind of seatpost that you have to adjust the height accordingly.
Old 02-11-20, 10:05 PM
wpwoodjr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the RedShift stem and just installed the seatpost as well but have hardly ridden it yet.

I see you have in your wish list, more supple tires. Have you tried the Compass tires (www.renehersecycles.com/compass-tires/)? I have the Bon Jon Pass 35mm as my rear tire and the Stampede Pass 32mm as my front and love them. This is on a 2016 Diverge Pro.
Old 02-17-20, 06:51 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I owned a Short Travel thudbuster and loved it.They are well built smooth bomb proof
Old 02-18-20, 02:02 AM
sweetspot

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wpwoodjr
I have the RedShift stem and just installed the seatpost as well but have hardly ridden it yet.

I see you have in your wish list, more supple tires. Have you tried the Compass tires (www.renehersecycles.com/compass-tires/)? I have the Bon Jon Pass 35mm as my rear tire and the Stampede Pass 32mm as my front and love them. This is on a 2016 Diverge Pro.
Yes, I am familiar with ReneHerse tires but they are very hard to get in Europe, where I live. But for sure I want to test them and compare to my Cazadero's which I value greatly in terms of comfort.
Old 02-28-20, 03:51 PM
Matadors

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I use both the RedShift stem and seatpost on my gravel bike and have used my Revelate Sweetroll on the front and Pika on the back. The extra weight made both more active in the rough stuff, but nothing that a few turns on the back and a stiffer elastomer in the front would not cure.
Likes For Matadors:
Old 03-13-20, 07:45 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
I owned a Short Travel thudbuster and loved it.They are well built smooth bomb proof
I'd love to have somebody do a direct comparison of those I had a bike fit recently and the fitter loves the thudbuster. Of course, that's what he sells but many seem to love it.
Old 03-13-20, 08:07 AM
evan the cdn

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

Isn't the goal of the Redshift seatpost to provide compliance on rough roads and not just the big hits? From PNW's website it looks like the Coast is designed to absorb just the bigger hits.
https://www.pnwcomponents.com/produc...28488424554573
"NOTE: This is NOT a replacement for rear suspension, it is a suspension seat post which helps absorb the larger bumps while seated. It does not provide small bump compliance found in rear suspension mountain bikes."
Old 05-09-20, 05:54 PM
Matadors

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I have put a thousand miles on my Red Shift seatpost and stem and am very pleased with their performance. Once you get them dialed in you do not even notice them until you take a big hit. They absorb the small stuff without me even thinking about them. I have ridden asphalt, gravel and fire roads with a lot less wrist ache and seat tenderness.

I like them so much I bought another stem for my tandem and seat post for my stoker. She said the difference was astounding.

Almost full suspension, but not quite.
Old 05-09-20, 06:00 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but I did my first, and so far, only, kickstarter for this seatpost. When it finally arrived, I put it on various bikes, and it has now wound up on the touring bike I have been building up. I am very pleased with its quality and performance.

This other photo made me do a double-take (my bike previously even had tires on that looked even more like the ones below):

Originally Posted by Matadors
I use both the RedShift stem and seatpost on my gravel bike and have used my Revelate Sweetroll on the front and Pika on the back. The extra weight made both more active in the rough stuff, but nothing that a few turns on the back and a stiffer elastomer in the front would not cure.
Likes For Cyclist0108: