Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

new frame. oh ****. Headset woes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

new frame. oh ****. Headset woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 01:08 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
I too recently encountered this issue with a new frame from Italy. The measurement of the upper and lower headset cups measured about .28 or .29 mm larger than the internal dimension of the head tube. I solved the problem and completed the installation by doing the following:

First I took a 1 inch paddle sander which is made for use with a drill and is made of many separate sheets of paper bound on a 1/4 chuck and reamed the inside of the head tube. It works like a hone but does not need lubrication in the process. Apparently some internal burrs along with the chrome on top of that had reduced the ID significantly. The irregularities came off pretty easily and I gained back about .18 mm from that alone.

Next I took a standing belt sander to the upper and lower cup body not only to take a bit off but to create a more taper to get it started. This got me about another .08 mm on the insert portion of the cup body with a little more on the insert end. This is a pretty delicate job and should be done cautiously.

Then I put the upper and lower cups in the freezer and that reduced the OD of the cup body insert end by an additional .03 mm.

I got all of my parts and tools ready and greased, and then pulled the cups out of the freezer and got them pressed in while they were still cold. The pressure required was not excessive and the cup bodies went in nicely.

My only complaint is that in prepping the cup body on the belt sander I did mar the finished surface just a little in a visible area. Probably something that only I would notice but there it is! It wasn't that daunting of a challenge but I have never been one to shy away from taking power tools to new equipment.

The headset was a new Campy Record unit and the frame was custom made for me recently. If I had purchased the bike completely built they would have solved this in the shop and I would never have known about it. It probably happens more often than we think!

Good luck!
Old 07-31-20, 02:19 PM
tz250

Bikes: Club Special, Bottecchia ADR, Alan, Ciocc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
My Yamaha twin days are long past but have many fond memories of those two stroke wonders...
Yes, my racing days are over as well. Very fun times. Two strokes are intoxicating.
Old 07-31-20, 02:34 PM
tz250

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Agree with using a brake cylinder hone. Concentricity is key to good performance here. I don't think the risk is worth the effort with either sand paper or filing.
Thank you to everyone who replied with helpful comments.

I believe now that my frame just needs “frame prep” for headset and BB by a shop with proper toola and experience. The shop I use is qualified to do this. From what you all have said, it seems within tolerance for hand reaming. This is what I wanted to know.

My two previous frames I had headset and BB installed by the bike shop where i bought them. So I kind of freaked out trying to fit the crown race cup.

Stay safe out there,
Robin
Old 08-01-20, 01:31 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Glad it's working out, sounds like a sweet bike.
Likes For cpach:
Old 08-01-20, 05:19 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by tz250
Thank you to everyone who replied with helpful comments.

I believe now that my frame just needs “frame prep” for headset and BB by a shop with proper toola and experience. The shop I use is qualified to do this. From what you all have said, it seems within tolerance for hand reaming. This is what I wanted to know.

My two previous frames I had headset and BB installed by the bike shop where i bought them. So I kind of freaked out trying to fit the crown race cup.

Stay safe out there,
Robin
That is good. I see you are in South Carolina, what shop did you use? I tend to use Charleston Bike company for all my Italian problems!
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 08-01-20, 06:47 AM
tz250

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
That is good. I see you are in South Carolina, what shop did you use? I tend to use Charleston Bike company for all my Italian problems!
yes, Jeff at CHS bike on Savannah Hwy!
Old 08-01-20, 06:49 AM
tz250

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Glad it's working out, sounds like a sweet bike.
it is!
Likes For tz250:
Old 08-01-20, 02:13 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by tz250
yes, Jeff at CHS bike on Savannah Hwy!

You are in good hands. They will do it and they will do it right. Not many shops have solid "professional" mechanics. They do.
Likes For vespasianus: