Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Fitting

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Fitting

Old 08-05-20, 05:42 PM
JS41989

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL5 Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Bike Fitting

I went to a bike fitting today and it was an incredibly eye-opening experience. The process took just over 3 hours and I learned so much about my body, my bike, and we made a number of minor adjustments that seem like they will have a tremendous impact on my ride. Looking forward to getting on the bike tomorrow and seeing how I feel. I only wish I would have done this 1,000 miles ago.
Old 08-05-20, 10:04 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I saw a fitter a couple of weeks ago. I had changed saddles and was hoping he would fix some issues I was having. My comfort was greatly improved and I was a little faster. Good luck on your ride. I hope you have similar success.
Old 08-05-20, 10:53 PM
JS41989

Originally Posted by adamhenry
I saw a fitter a couple of weeks ago. I had changed saddles and was hoping he would fix some issues I was having. My comfort was greatly improved and I was a little faster. Good luck on your ride. I hope you have similar success.
Jumped on a group ride this evening. No weird discomforts, speed was improved, overall just a much more efficient and effective riding position. Honestly a game changer.
Old 08-06-20, 07:44 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I got a discounted Retul fitting session in early 2017 when I bought a new bike. Over the years I had tinkered with seat height, placement, tilt etc. and my cleat placement and thought I had it dialed in. The fitter moved my cleats all the way back in my shoes and raised my seat height .5" and made it level - a very noticeable improvement on my next long ride. I became a believer in fitting by an experienced bike fitter.

The only upsell was discounted heat molded shoe cushions or beds or whatever they are called. The OEM ones were in pretty sad shape so I did spring for those. Not sure those made any real difference over cheap replacements.
Old 08-06-20, 08:46 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I have had a number of fits over the years, and I can say with experience that some fitters are better than others. And some fit theories work better for others.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-06-20, 11:29 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-your-bike/
Old 08-06-20, 04:03 PM
JS41989

Originally Posted by jpescatore
I got a discounted Retul fitting session in early 2017 when I bought a new bike. Over the years I had tinkered with seat height, placement, tilt etc. and my cleat placement and thought I had it dialed in. The fitter moved my cleats all the way back in my shoes and raised my seat height .5" and made it level - a very noticeable improvement on my next long ride. I became a believer in fitting by an experienced bike fitter.

The only upsell was discounted heat molded shoe cushions or beds or whatever they are called. The OEM ones were in pretty sad shape so I did spring for those. Not sure those made any real difference over cheap replacements.
I ended up with a slightly shorter stem, a cleat spacer for my right shoe, and an insole. I have a leg length and foot size discrepancy so these tweaks helped a ton with power and comfort.
Old 08-06-20, 06:36 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore

I had a Retul fit in Boulder back in January. Very impressed. My problems were 1) left foot/toe numbness beginning around mile 10, 2) left hand, same thing, and 3) left hip pain after a ride such that I could barely stand at the finish of the ride. I had already shimmed my left cleat by 2 degrees so I was very interested in those insoles as well. Very pleased. I was using off-the-shelf-insoles before. They did the same thing with my cleat movement.

I didn't feel any up-sell pressure at all, which is good - I don't respond well to that. I did purchase a new handlebar that they installed for free, but I didn't feel any pressure to do it and it was cheap. It was a big help as well.

One interesting thing he did suggest that came out of my fit was to change pedals. He didn't sell them so he had no dog in the hunt. He suggested I get Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL with a +4mm axle and add a 1mm washer to each side. That was the secret sauce I think, particularly on the hip pain based on the way my hip tracked.

I have no abnormal pain anywhere after the fit. Oh, I still have pain, but it's not because of a bad fit! Well worth it. No affiliation, etc.

Glenn