Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Richard Moon bicycles

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Richard Moon bicycles

Old 08-07-20, 10:08 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
Thanks, you sell a bike like that one and you sure as heck know that you won't be finding another!

But you never know what new and unusual bike will come along, and you never know when.
Old 08-07-20, 10:28 PM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
A regular moon is when you show them the back, a richard moon is when you show them the front.
Old 08-09-20, 07:15 PM
jgerpheide 

Bikes: American Classics made by the Masters: Brian Baylis, Wolf, Wizard, Masi, Confente, Fuso, Keith Lippy, Smolenski, to name a few.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 10 Posts
Richard Moon

Originally Posted by degan
A regular moon is when you show them the back, a richard moon is when you show them the front.
I will definately remember this Moon statement regarding the back vs the front.
What is better than A Richard Moon? There will be lots of opinions and various bikes that come to mind.
For me, the only thing better than a Richard Moon, are two Richard Moons!

Dreams come true with a little luck thrown in too!
Even my wife loves this one!
Old 08-09-20, 09:42 PM
jgerpheide 

Bikes: American Classics made by the Masters: Brian Baylis, Wolf, Wizard, Masi, Confente, Fuso, Keith Lippy, Smolenski, to name a few.

Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
Sheesh jgerpheide you must own 1/2 of the Richard Moons in existence now! Congrats on the new cycle, and cheers to a well thought out sale dddd!
I have not seen another after searching the past 8 years. They are out there somewhere and perhaps less than 25 were made. Not much known about the framebuilder from the research I have done.
My new Richard Moon is frame #8 ... (the sequence is 2 97 8) February 1997 frame 8
Old 06-11-21, 01:33 PM
systemBuilder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jgerpheide
I have not seen another after searching the past 8 years. They are out there somewhere and perhaps less than 25 were made. Not much known about the framebuilder from the research I have done.
My new Richard Moon is frame #8 ... (the sequence is 2 97 8) February 1997 frame 8
Brian Baylis showed me a richard moon bicycle on a visit to his shop sometime maybe in 2005 or something like that. One of the markers on that bike was the quarter-moon cutouts in the lugs which I imagine are exceedingly difficult to achieve. He said that Richard sent him all his bicycles for paint, and they were just fantastic. The only other bikes he praised so highly were from Bruce Gordon and also he was very proud of his flying scott, which he painted pink! When Brian Baylis says your bikes are fantastic, that's really something crazy!

Richard Moon hand-cut lug
(source: ClassicRendezvous website).

I believe that Richard Moon was an engineer who retired and decided to make some bicycles "for fun". There was no way to recover all the time and money he put into building bicycles - this was a labor of love for Richard Moon, which is why he only built bikes for a few years and then quit to do other things. So these bicycles even more rare than Mario Confente (Masi USA's top builder from the 70's who died tragically of heart failure in his 30's) bicycles, of which he built ~135, and even more difficult to find because they are not as widely recognized!

- Don Gillies
Palo Alto, CA

Last edited by systemBuilder; 06-11-21 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-11-21, 02:51 PM
jgerpheide 

Thank you for sharing the comments on the Richard Moon. Still have not found another one and a well known collector friend told me that 23 were made
and only 4 are known at this point. Yes, Brian Baylis painted all of them!
Difficult to put a value on these and still so rare but not as collectible as Confente framesets. Mario died suddenly of a heart attack and was found outside his home
in the street by a stranger. Everyone has their stories about Mario and so many people liked him amd miss him even now after all of these years.

let me know if you ever see or know of any Richard Moon or Confente bikes available.

Jim
Old 06-11-21, 03:38 PM
Mike_Kelly

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Jim, With a collection like that you might want to research Glenn Erickson of Seattle. I was fortunate to drop by his shop when he was gathering frames he had made for a show. He did amazing artistic work.

I was lucky enough to see your Mattolini at Jon's place. I have two bikes with his complete drillium. I am really glad you saved the Mattolini. I hope someone saved his Samontana Masi.

All the best

Mike Kelly
Hayward, WI USA
Old 06-11-21, 05:35 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Thank you for sharing the comments on the Richard Moon. Still have not found another one and a well known collector friend told me that 23 were made
and only 4 are known at this point. Yes, Brian Baylis painted all of them!
Difficult to put a value on these and still so rare but not as collectible as Confente framesets. Mario died suddenly of a heart attack and was found outside his home
in the street by a stranger. Everyone has their stories about Mario and so many people liked him amd miss him even now after all of these years.

let me know if you ever see or know of any Richard Moon or Confente bikes available.

Jim
there are Confente bikes out there.
but I recall when the CR list was gobsmacked when there was a confirmed $2,600 plus shipping sale.
time has changed things.

I know of a LA built track bike... $12k returned no interest in selling. And the owner admitted they were never going to ride it again.
My size even.
Old 06-14-21, 09:16 AM
jgerpheide 

Originally Posted by Mike_Kelly
Jim, With a collection like that you might want to research Glenn Erickson of Seattle. I was fortunate to drop by his shop when he was gathering frames he had made for a show. He did amazing artistic work.

I was lucky enough to see your Mattolini at Jon's place. I have two bikes with his complete drillium. I am really glad you saved the Mattolini. I hope someone saved his Samontana Masi.

All the best

Mike Kelly
Hayward, WI USA
Can you send a few pictures of your drillium bikes...
Jim
Old 06-14-21, 10:26 AM
Mike_Kelly

Sure. Here is my blog entry for the 2012 Cirque bike show. Mine are at the bottom of the page.

biciak: 2012 Cirque Winners are...
Old 06-14-21, 10:48 AM
Mike_Kelly

Jim, Since you are interested in Jon Williams, you might want to hear his talk on his work. Recorded at the 2013 Cirque. The video is no good but the audio is fine.

biciak: 2013 Cirque Du Cyclisme Presentations
Likes For Mike_Kelly:
Old 07-25-22, 09:37 PM
TBLee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTB- richard Moon frameset or bicycle

Anybody out there that knows of any available or want to sell one. This will complete my American collection of classic vintage bicycles....

Thank you,

Jim Gerpheide

San Luis Obispo, California

Are you still looking for a Richard Moon bike to buy? I have one for sale. I just joined this forum so still figuring out how it works.A totally awesome custom Richard Moon

Custom paint by Brian Bayless with matching tire pump

1996 Campagnolo Chorus component group

Shimano PD-M520 Petals

New Vittoria Zaffiro Pro G2.0 tires

Needs new handle bar tape

Frame size: 53cm

Can't get photo to attach so if possible PM me.

Thanks,

Tim Lee

Roseville, CA
Old 07-26-22, 07:01 AM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
My size! Probably out of my range.... arghhhhh.
Old 02-16-23, 12:16 PM
jgerpheide 

Mike,
I was wondering if you have any pictures of the Jon Williams drillium bikes you referenced in a post a few years ago. I am a big fan of his work
and it is like looking at art. Would you consider selling either of your bikes?
My e-mail is j1gerpheide@yahoo.com tel # 805-234-1036
Old 02-16-23, 05:00 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 593 Posts
lovely bikes,thanks for sharing
Old 02-19-23, 01:19 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,033 Posts
Richard Moon sighting today! I was part of the monthly Cranky & Vintage ride near Sacramento today. One of the bikes was a beautiful Richard Moon fixed gear, beep blue with white lugs. To top it off, it was being ridden . . . (drum roll) . . . Richard Moon (cymbal crash). Gorgeous bike, nice low-key guy. Very easy to like both.

With this thread resurrecting here, I thought people would be interested to know.
Old 02-19-23, 06:13 PM
FrejusFlyer

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Richard Moon sighting today! I was part of the monthly Cranky & Vintage ride near Sacramento today. One of the bikes was a beautiful Richard Moon fixed gear, beep blue with white lugs. To top it off, it was being ridden . . . (drum roll) . . . Richard Moon (cymbal crash). Gorgeous bike, nice low-key guy. Very easy to like both.

With this thread resurrecting here, I thought people would be interested to know.
Hey, bikingshearer! It was nice meeting you on the ride (I was the guy on the tiny red Masi-Rich) . Now that the word is out that we ride with Illuminati, what will become of the Cranky and Vintage ride?!
Old 02-20-23, 09:58 PM
jgerpheide 

Originally Posted by FrejusFlyer
Hey, bikingshearer! It was nice meeting you on the ride (I was the guy on the tiny red Masi-Rich) . Now that the word is out that we ride with Illuminati, what will become of the Cranky and Vintage ride?!
Did anyone find out the name of the person that was riding around on the Richard Moon Track bike? Any chance you might be riding with him again. ?
Thank you
Jim
Old 02-20-23, 10:44 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 85 Posts
Did anyone find out the name of the person that was riding around on the Richard Moon Track bike? Any chance you might be riding with him again. ?
Thank you
Jim
It was the man himself! Very nice guy. There's talk that he might take up the torch again....
Old 02-21-23, 12:38 AM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 186 Posts
This was Richard Moon on our ride!

Originally Posted by bibliobob
It was the man himself! Very nice guy. There's talk that he might take up the torch again....
Likes For Sactown_Albert:
Old 02-21-23, 12:17 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 87 Posts
I talked to him a bit about the possibility of him building again. He said he still had all his equipment, and according to his friend Mark Boles, who was also on the ride, Mr. Moon is currently working on a road bike for himself. I was just about to ask him to add my name to any waiting list he might have, just in case, but I didn’t want to be a pushy jerk. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens.
Old 02-21-23, 06:03 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 142 Posts
Is it appropriate for a vintage ride if it doesn't have downtube shifters?

Old 02-21-23, 06:31 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
Is it appropriate for a vintage ride if it doesn't have downtube shifters?

If the geezer on the bike is Vintage enough, then yes. Now get off my lawn . . . .

As for Mr., Moon, he did not have down tube shifters and nobody rattled his chain. He didn't have shifters of any kind because he was rocking a fixed gear (and going faster than I was able to maintain, I might add).
Old 02-21-23, 09:24 PM
TBLee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the person asking if my Rich Moon bike is still for sale. Sorry it's been sold. I can't reply to your privet message because of this administrator message.

The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with less than 10 posts.
Old 02-22-23, 07:51 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Neat thread. When I was still dreaming of a made for me frameset and considering a builder using Henry James lugs, (Hank lived down the street from me.) Richard Moon was a contender.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.