Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Trek 360

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 08:01 AM
Jsf515

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 360

I just picked up a Trek 360 that’s had been sitting in a barn for a long time. It seems like it’s in fair shape, just really dusty and needs to be gone through.

It’s not my size and I don’t plan on keeping it, so I don’t want to drop lots of money on it. I just wanted something to practice wrenching on and past the time. I’ll look to pass it along after going through it, but not looking to make serious profit.

I was hoping anyone could pass along any tips or suggestions. I know the components aren’t high end, but they all seem to work. I’ll likely look to replace cables, bar tape, and the chain.

Funny thing, someone at some point taped over what looks like the original bar tape with electrical tape. I’m not sure why, but the bar tape underneath looks in good shape! But I’ll replace it nonetheless so I can get to the brake cables.

The biggest problem is it is it was missing the front wheel. I’m hoping to find a matching front hub cheap (Maillard 500) and give a go at building up some wheels using old Mavic MA3 rims I have. Would these rims work ok on this bike? Or would they be out of place? They don’t owe me anything as they were given to me years ago and just laying around. But I don’t want to impact the sale ability of the bike in the long run.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-20, 05:30 PM
Jsf515

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No love for the 360, eh?

I’ve got everything removed and the frame cleaned up ok. Few blemishes but seems pretty sound.

I would have thought finding a matching Maillard 500 front hub would be earlier, but not any turning up.
Old 08-09-20, 06:15 PM
Jsf515

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures of the frame.

Old 08-09-20, 06:38 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
https://www.vintage-trek.com/images/trek/Trek88_1.pdf
Old 08-09-20, 06:45 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
That looks really clean, I would suggest that you look for a local coop. They maybe able to help you on your quest of finding the types of parts you want. The MA3 rims either silver or grey would look great on the 360. Original was probably Matrix black or grey rims.

What are the parts that came with the 360?
Old 08-09-20, 07:45 PM
Jsf515

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. It cleaned up ok. There’s some scratches and little minor surface rust on the down tube. And other nicks that I’m hoping a bit of touch up will make ok.

The components are just what are listed in the catalog dedhed linked to. They’re next on the clean up agenda. Decades of barn dust/dirt.

The rear whee is as listed but the rim is oxidized and I’m not sure if it’s slavagable. And if I’m in need of a front, I figure I’ll replace both. Just need to decide if it’s worth trying to find a matching front hub, or just go with something different all around.