Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Getting back to racing after a long hiatus

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 06-21-16, 09:53 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not sure if I'll get chastised for this thread, but I'm seeking a little advice. It's been over 6 years since I raced last, after taking 5 years off the bike. With the exception of being struck by an F-150 last summer, I've spent the past 12 months working my proverbial (and literal) ass off (50 lbs lost). I just ordered a new USAC license (instead of renewing mine from 2010), and my first race will be this weekend.

Here's the dilemma: I'm starting as a Cat 5 since I never had enough races credited officially (not that I mind at this moment). The race day will give me 2 different groups to ride with. There is the standard Cat 4/5, but also the Pro/1/2/3/4/5 Master's 35+. I'm not sure which one to do, and don't really want to sandbag the 4/5. I know e-wang means nothing, but my power profile is ~4.5 W/kg FTP, ~5 W/kg 5-min, ~8.2 W/kg 1-min, and ~18 W/kg 5-sec, while my CTL is in the mid 90s, and I weigh in the low 160s.

So, do I ride with the Master's where I will undoubtedly have the worst handling skills, or go with the 4/5 and hope there are some strong riders in the field?
Old 06-21-16, 09:59 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Do the open 35+. It will probably be faster and you can just find your-level of riders to slot in with.

Though you're unlikely to be able to just ride away from a 4/5 race, so you probably can't go wrong either way.
Old 06-21-16, 10:05 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Is this a crit? If so, I would race both: the 4/5 for a result and the masters race for training/accumulating race time.

If it's a RR, I would still choose the 4/5. You are a 5, even with the ewang.
Old 06-21-16, 10:20 AM
silversx80

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Do the open 35+. It will probably be faster and you can just find your-level of riders to slot in with.

Though you're unlikely to be able to just ride away from a 4/5 race, so you probably can't go wrong either way.
That's exactly my thought process... I'm just torn.

Originally Posted by caloso
Is this a crit? If so, I would race both: the 4/5 for a result and the masters race for training/accumulating race time.

If it's a RR, I would still choose the 4/5. You are a 5, even with the ewang.
It is a crit, but I'm not certain I can do the morning and afternoon races. They do have the Open 35+ right after the 4/5, but it's only 5 minutes, so I'm going to skip lining up like that. Maybe the open in the morning, and the 4/5 in the afternoon if I can swing it.
Old 06-21-16, 04:58 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do both.

Six years is nothing. I took 26 off and came back to win.
Old 06-21-16, 09:11 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Do both.
This. It's a crit, right?
Old 06-21-16, 10:21 PM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with shovel - do both.

the numbers are strong with you.

the 4/5 will bore you. with a decent enough attack, you'll be able to ride away from at least most of the field, if not just ride around solo.

do the 35/open to race - race! - with your peers.

PS - I pity the poor true cat 5 lining up for the first time...he's going to get smoked by you and never race again and probably ebay his bike.

PPS - whether renewing or just getting a new license, you should make USAC aware of your racing history; not doing so is being deceitful, and, very possibly, against some arcane policy that you agree to when you get a license.

Last edited by happybday29475; 06-21-16 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-22-16, 05:36 AM
silversx80

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rapwithtom
Agree with shovel - do both.

the numbers are strong with you.

the 4/5 will bore you. with a decent enough attack, you'll be able to ride away from at least most of the field, if not just ride around solo.

do the 35/open to race - race! - with your peers.

PS - I pity the poor true cat 5 lining up for the first time...he's going to get smoked by you and never race again and probably ebay his bike.

PPS - whether renewing or just getting a new license, you should make USAC aware of your racing history; not doing so is being deceitful, and, very possibly, against some arcane policy that you agree to when you get a license.
Looks like I'm signing up for the morning open, and the afternoon 4/5. Maybe I'll be gassed enough that I don't discourage anyone.

As far as racing credit goes, I checked into it way back because I had a handful of one day licenses starting back in 2005. I'd probably have enough to get the upgrade to 4 (and do the 3/4 races), but I don't have record anymore after several moves since. The local rep at the time said just to race more. Oh well. I'll see what this weekend is like and perhaps they'll let me out of 5.
Old 06-22-16, 10:45 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In that situation you are doing the right thing with Cat5. You might want to ask for an early exit from Cat5 if you do well and ride smart for a few races.
Old 06-22-16, 11:28 AM
happybday29475

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silversx80
Looks like I'm signing up for the morning open, and the afternoon 4/5. Maybe I'll be gassed enough that I don't discourage anyone.

As far as racing credit goes, I checked into it way back because I had a handful of one day licenses starting back in 2005. I'd probably have enough to get the upgrade to 4 (and do the 3/4 races), but I don't have record anymore after several moves since. The local rep at the time said just to race more. Oh well. I'll see what this weekend is like and perhaps they'll let me out of 5.
Cool - I'm curious to see how it goes! Good luck, have fun, welcome back!
Old 06-24-16, 09:41 AM
silversx80

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's official, I'm registered for two sessions tomorrow. Open 35+ in the AM, and 4/5 in the PM. Excited and nervous.
Old 06-24-16, 05:29 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Good luck
Old 06-24-16, 05:54 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...can I have your stats?! You'll be fine. Have fun!!
Old 06-27-16, 09:18 PM
happybday29475

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@silversx80 how did it go?
Old 06-28-16, 08:41 AM
silversx80

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rapwithtom
@silversx80 how did it go?
Incredibly fun, incredibly hot (triple digits according to my bike computer), pack-fodder finishes.

Cue the excuses:

My wife and 2-year-old came with me, so we got out late and arrived with less than 15 minutes to change, sign in, pin on my number, and line up for the Open 35+ (lined up with about 3 minutes to spare). No warm-up... suck, at least it was a neutral start. The field split into two groups early on, and I was in the 2nd group with about a 20-sec gap. Stupidly, I decided to try and bridge the gap (no teammates at the races) with a couple guys on my wheel. Went really deep into the red, finally grabbed on to the front group, and tried to suck wheels for 2 laps before I fell off because I couldn't recover (those guys were in a different league). Picked up by the second group and it was pretty steady and strung out for the rest of the race, while I hung out in back trying to see a good point to move up. About 5 turns to go I carried too much speed through a corner and wound up off the front. That screwed any chance of a sprint finish for me, so I just tried to see how deep into the red I could go in a futile attempt to get some sort of gap... no dice. I wasn't last, at least.

The 4/5 race was an absolute mess in comparison, but some very strong riders. Slow in the corners, huge efforts after each, and every corner... every. freaking. time. . 36-foot wide track, and the entire width was taken up, so jockeying for position was very difficult. I got fed up with it, moved to the front, noticed a couple riders about 15 seconds off the front, Went into the red and bridged the gap, and at some point we became 4. At no point did anyone give indication that we'd work together (I'm guilty as well). Worked too hard for nothing, blew up, and got swallowed by the pack. I spent a few laps just trying to allow my HR to get back to normal, stayed away from the dangerous riders, and listened to all the rear derailleur indexing problems everyone seemed to have. In the last lap I just couldn't get, and keep a good position. It seemed like every time I was 8 riders back, they would let up and I was suddenly in the back half. Eventually I lost count of the corners and crossed the line in the middle of the pack with too much left in the tank.

Considering that this time last year, I wasn't able to move my left arm (or much else) due to taking an F-150 to the arse, all in all I'm happy with the day and had a great time. There were a lot more tactics involved than I anticipated, with no respectable hills to split the field, and there were a lot more racers than I expected. What I'm taking away from this is that my training is not ideal for crit racing, so I need to make some changes and have more days with a variability index over 1.3. I was actually sore.

Looking for the next one.
Old 06-28-16, 08:53 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like some solid racing right there for your "first" two races.
Old 06-28-16, 09:40 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Sounds like fun to me.
Old 06-28-16, 09:57 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So you have a 4.5W/KG FTP -- and couldn't hang onto the gront group in a CAT 5 race? Does not add up at all.
Old 06-28-16, 10:03 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by deapee
So you have a 4.5W/KG FTP -- and couldn't hang onto the gront group in a CAT 5 race? Does not add up at all.
He finished in the middle of the pack. Also, have you raced? It's the constant accelerations that get you, not the ability to hold x power for 1 hour.
Old 06-28-16, 10:16 AM
silversx80

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm know! Crazy, right?!?!
Old 06-28-16, 10:45 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Positioning and recovery means a lot more than ewang. Sounds like the OP had a great couple of first races back: worked hard (too hard ), stayed upright, and most importantly gained a lot of information on what to work on next.

I would call that a super successful race day.
Old 07-01-16, 09:15 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Typical Crit accelerations I think it takes atleast 3/4 crits to get your swing back, know the right wheels to follow and who to avoid . Best wishes getting back!