Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cloth tape / bar end help

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cloth tape / bar end help

Old 08-04-20, 05:37 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by kidadam
this is the same stuff with just a single stripe of adhesive in the middle?
You know, I think it used to be like that. Last 2 times it's been very light adhesive on the whole surface.
Old 08-04-20, 06:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Pragmatic reason to start @ the bottom is the way you avoid peeling up the edges of the tape, as you move your hands,
from the top to the brake hoods,
... to brake ..

Maybe if you then shellac saturate the cotton tape that wont happen as soon..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-04-20, 08:31 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
What about when you slide you hands from the drops, to the brake levers?
Tim
Old 08-05-20, 08:26 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Does anyone have any experience shellacking the padded cloth tape?

Newbaums has neoprene or foam or something bonded underneath the cloth. Would the small amount of give cause shellac to crack or peel? Would the thicker profile of a pad like that cause edge rolling issues with a top down wrap? Same reason everyone goes bottom up with cork.

A compromise may be the extra thick but 100% cotton tape that Orange Velo has.

​​​​​​
Old 08-05-20, 09:13 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Has anyone here ever used the Almarc "stitch-on" leather? It used to come pre-applied to bar/stem as I recall, but I think they had a DIY kit way back when.
Old 08-05-20, 11:09 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts

Newbaums has neoprene or foam or something bonded underneath the cloth. Would the small amount of give cause shellac to crack or peel? Would the thicker profile of a pad like that cause edge rolling issues with a top down wrap? Same reason everyone goes bottom up with cork.

​​​​​​
I tried shellacking the Velo Orange thick cushy cotton tape. It was not a great idea, as it turns out. I don't recommend it. It took a huge amount of shellac to get it anywhere near smooth, and the weave still would not fill in all the way. At that point of course any slight cushiness is gone, and there isn't much point to cushy tape that isn't cushy. When I finally cut it off it weighed a ton.

I've shellacked over Velox tape for decades now, and it works very well. I haven't ever tried adding cushioning underneath, but others here have. I may give it a go soon, as I'm tired of modern tape, and past the point in life where unpadded bars are pleasant. I was thinking to use some synthetic close cell foam tape underneath, or maybe those add on high tech bar pads. Supposedly using old inner tube works pretty well. Ask gugie.
Old 08-05-20, 11:15 AM
kidadam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I tried shellacking the Velo Orange thick cushy cotton tape. It was not a great idea, as it turns out. I don't recommend it. It took a huge amount of shellac to get it anywhere near smooth, and the weave still would not fill in all the way. At that point of course any slight cushiness is gone, and there isn't much point to cushy tape that isn't cushy. When I finally cut it off it weighed a ton.
This is good to know - I was considering it. I'm fairly certain the velo-orange stuff wouldn't hold up well starting at the top. I thought damn I should have done that but when I look at it in person - it looks a hell of a lot better than it previously did.
Old 08-05-20, 11:18 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
The VO stuff is pretty nice as is, don't get me wrong. It just isn't the best choice if you want to shellac over it. Used plain, it is a bit more cushy than standard cotton. I'd imagine that it would last about as long, maybe longer. Depends how into the trashed cotton tape look you are. When I used to race as a teen, shredded tape was cool, like ripped blue jeans...
Old 08-05-20, 11:29 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Ok, but how do you do it with barcons?
I did mine by starting from the tops and the bottoms, and just finishing under the brake hoods. Seemed to be okay, other than the problems with getting it to look okay on the curved sections <sigh>

I did leave a lot of black tape around the hoods just to avoid getting the orange tape really filthy quickly.

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-05-20, 11:38 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
I start exactly like you did in that first photo except I run the tape in the opposite direction. That way the tape is running back across the top at the stem. Thin means my hands tend to tighten the tape when I pull on the bars going uphill and riding the tops.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-05-20, 11:47 AM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
I always go top down on top (don’t like tape or twine), but sometimes go up from the bottom and meet in the middle. On some levers it’s pretty easy to tuck under the rubber hoods.
Old 08-07-20, 09:46 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts

​​​​​​
Never seen the Newbaum's that has a foam backing. Just their plain cloth tape is great stuff.

Whip it good.
Likes For rootboy:
Old 08-07-20, 08:00 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Who has pictures of their top down (no shellac) job on a frequent rider after 3-4,000 miles? I know many folks would replace the tape more frequently than that but bottom up stays neat and tidy longer. And for a cheapskate like me, that is important.
Old 08-07-20, 08:41 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Classtime
Who has pictures of their top down (no shellac) job on a frequent rider after 3-4,000 miles? I know many folks would replace the tape more frequently than that but bottom up stays neat and tidy longer. And for a cheapskate like me, that is important.
I've been riding this tape long enough for it to be fading... it started out black. This is probably Velox, but might be Cateye?? Not sure if I have any records on it.
This is a photo from yesterday, Aug 6th.

edit: a check of the records shows that I put new Velox tape on the bike in May 2017 when it had about 3400 miles on the bike. The bike now has 6200 miles, so that's 2800 miles on the tape.

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 08-07-20 at 08:48 PM.
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-08-20, 08:21 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
Has anyone here ever used the Almarc "stitch-on" leather? It used to come pre-applied to bar/stem as I recall, but I think they had a DIY kit way back when.
I've made my own leather kitting a few times, I use the rubber velox for end plugs.

I think Almarc is still available, or it was as of a couple years ago.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 08-08-20, 08:35 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I've been riding this tape long enough for it to be fading... it started out black. This is probably Velox, but might be Cateye?? Not sure if I have any records on it.
This is a photo from yesterday, Aug 6th.

edit: a check of the records shows that I put new Velox tape on the bike in May 2017 when it had about 3400 miles on the bike. The bike now has 6200 miles, so that's 2800 miles on the tape.

Steve in Peoria
I can see your handlebars through the tape.

Are we looking at a little mistake by your brake hoods or has the tape moved a little in that time?
Old 08-08-20, 08:57 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I always do Top-Down, as the 3 bikes I purchased in the 70s came wrapped this way.... I use Front -to-Back..... as my grip tightens the tape this way.
Usually takes a bottle of wine to complete both sides of the wrap, and then it looks really good.
Always tuck in the tape at the Velox plug. (as much as possible).
I tried Shellac once and eventually raplaced the tape... I didn't like the Shellac.

"Front to Back.....it's sanitary"
Old 08-08-20, 09:49 AM
steelbikeguy

I can see your handlebars through the tape.

Are we looking at a little mistake by your brake hoods or has the tape moved a little in that time?
this is an example of the philosophy known as "close enough for government work".
To answer your question, I don't think the tape has moved.
The rolls of Velox aren't very long, so I'm a bit shy about using much to cover the bars behind the levers.
This is part of the reason that I don't wrap from the middle of the bars........

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-08-20, 11:28 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I really, really like Renfrew brand hockey tape for a cloth wrap for my handlebars. It's very durable and has lots of tape per roll. It's available in lots of colours too.key

"PRODUCT NUMBER: 104R COLOURED

Application: Stick handles and bladesSpecially designed for today's composite hockey sticks, Pro-Blade Coloured Cloth Tape from Renfrew Pro incorporates an advanced adhesive formulation applied to a polyester/cotton cloth base, resulting in a more substantial cloth tape with increased wear characteristics. This premium cloth tape comes in 12 colours – pick your favourite to help identify your stick or match your team."

Cheers
Old 08-10-20, 12:48 PM
ManekiNico

Bikes: ’85 Pinarello Treviso

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
East Coast/West Coast, Ginger/Mary Ann, Top Down/Bottom Up... some questions may never be settled.
(It's Mary Ann).
Mary Ann, bottom up. Wait… that didn’t come out right.
Likes For ManekiNico:
Old 08-11-20, 12:55 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
if you wrap cloth tape from the top the edges tend to become unwraped in the drops during use.
I used to use stiched on leather ( Rhode Gear Handlebar Hide) a kit you could buy. the feel was
perfect between grip and padding and the look was so classy.
Old 08-11-20, 01:15 PM
slenten
Lotus Must Recite

Bikes: 1991 Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I haven't tucked in tape since the '70s. I wrap top and bottom separately, and, as a bit of anti-aesthetic,
I don't bother covering the brake lever clamps. Polyurethane is my finish on cotton tape to reduce color shift.