Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I've been shot

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I've been shot

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 03:20 AM
Lot's Knife

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been shot

About a half-dozen pops from a passing SUV, after midnight, in Tucson. Luckily it was a paintball gun. A welt on my left forearm the size of a pingpong ball. The cops said it was probably a frozen ball. Creates more damage that way.

Pulled over into Chaffin's Family Restaurant and called 911. Never thought I'd have to say the words: "I've been shot." At that point I didn't know what kind of projectile had hit me. I assumed a bullet, but I could still make a fist.

Cops and paramedics show up. They take pictures of my arm and a hole in my shirt. I don't have a license-plate number. Just a dark SUV with two or three kids in it. Describes 60,000 vehicles here. I'm no help; they'll never get caught. I'm given a victims-rights pamphlet with a case number, then I bike home. "Isn't there someone you can call?" they ask. Well, yeah, but ... I'll just ride home.

Surreal. I stuff my ruined shirt in the bottom of a rag bucket, and now I have to wear a long-sleeved shirt for the next several days. Why? If my wife finds out, she'll never, ever abide me commuting in this town again. There'll be a domestic war. And the savages will win.

I'd like to say, "Be careful" or offer up some similar bromide, but in reality there's nothing you can do. Frustrated and discouraged. So much for the European commuting ideal. I bought into it. Purchased a Breezer and everything. But goddamned if things aren't different here.

Thanks for listening.
Old 09-28-06, 03:24 AM
CrosseyedCrickt
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude
down in Kentucky that is considered assault with a weapon with intent for great bodily harm
here in Michigan though the cops don't seem to care unless there is some race issue involved
sorry to read about this incident
Old 09-28-06, 03:29 AM
Lot's Knife

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The police here took it very seriously, I'm sure. I'm just sorry I couldn't be more help. After three hours of ice, the swelling has gone down. God, I feel lucky. They sounded just like TV gunshots. Pop pop pop pop.

Old 09-28-06, 03:31 AM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that looks *very* painful.....

a
Old 09-28-06, 03:36 AM
dalmore
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some people ... man that just sucks. heal up soon.

Change you can believe in - Bigfoot Nessie 08
Old 09-28-06, 03:43 AM
Lot's Knife

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, man. I remember something ChipCom said in a thread about the Phoenix shootings:

Live your life. Don't cower.

Hey, in Phoenix they used small-gauge shotguns, so I'm counting my blessings.

Eff 'em. I'm not a tough guy, but I'm riding tomorrow.
Old 09-28-06, 05:14 AM
Mars
coitus non circum.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lot's Knife
Thanks, man. I remember something ChipCom said in a thread about the Phoenix shootings:

+1000

I am SO sorry about this awful event. But, I must say, your quiet kind of courage is the kind that gives me hope for the human race. Keep rolling, brother.
Old 09-28-06, 05:24 AM
bike2math

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man that looks painful. I rate Tucson as the worst of the cities I've been in for the respect given by motorists. As a pedestrian there I had full cans of soda, handfuls of change, and hundreds of lit cigarettes thrown from moving vehicles and hitting me. Living in Texas, Ohio, and every state in New England I've never had anyone throw something at me.

For some reason the teenagers and the 20 something near teens are particularly agressive, car centric, intolerant, disrespectful, and in general the worst bunch of a'holes I've had to deal with.

Part of the problem must be the millions of six lane city streets, as the other cities I've lived in had narrow surface streets and six lane freeways.

For a city that has wonderful biking weather year round there are far to many parking spaces at the schools and buisnesses.

Just my 0.02.
Old 09-28-06, 05:41 AM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The same thing happened to my haircutter who hasn't owned a car for 20 years. Except that the thugs did not freeze the paint ball. They used a red paint ball, they hit him on his thigh. As you explained, it sounds just like a gun. Anyway, he hears the shot, feels the sting, looks down and sees red flowing down his leg. He nearly passed out, before he realized that it was paint and not blood.

I hope that this does not "catch on". I teach high school and while most teens would not do this, the segment of that population that would is growing. They are bored, have no home supervision, and do incredibly stupid things.
Old 09-28-06, 05:47 AM
cgchambers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man I dont even know what to say, sorry or wish that had not happened does not even begin to describe...

Glad you are ok, and have not let this discourage you. Hope your luck is MUCH better from here on out!
Old 09-28-06, 06:21 AM
nycballer0591
original bike rider

Bikes: huffy tempas 26" MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow that sucks hope it gets better. if i was u i would carry a paintball gun with me now but since that would mean that u are just as bad as those idiots don't do it. you have alot of courage to continue riding after something like that.
Old 09-28-06, 06:27 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And people wonder why I think they should raise the driving age to 21.

I hope you heal quickly!
Old 09-28-06, 07:14 AM
Marylandnewbie

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is just totally ridiculous. It is unbelievable what people will do when they feel anonymous in their cars. I'm glad you weren't more seriously hurt and I hope you heal quickly.

For what its worth I think you're on the right track with continuing to ride. It is important for you not to feel fearful in perpetuity as well as making a broader point that bikes belong on the road and have rights there. Just be careful and keep an eye out for your assailants. Hopefully after some time you will feel at ease again on the roads.
Old 09-28-06, 07:40 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wicked looking wound. What sucks is that if you were shot with a "real" gun, the police might make a bigger deal of it. WTF?

Too bad that there were no witnesses, and who can get a license plate number after getting shot, yikes!
Old 09-28-06, 07:54 AM
Wulfheir
Designated Drinker

Bikes: '04 Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My cousin did that and now he's got weapons offences on his record. He was coming back from his job; baby picture photographer. There is something ironic about that.
Old 09-28-06, 07:56 AM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The biggest danger with paintball guns is potential shots to eyes and ears. There's a reason people wear goggles when playing paintball.
Old 09-28-06, 08:07 AM
littlefoot

Bikes: Many all steel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bunch of savages...just think of the negative Karma they will reap...
Old 09-28-06, 08:35 AM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Those kids are going to get themselves shot eventually, methinks. Incidentally, a helmet light makes it a lot easier to read license plates because (1) you can steer it, and (2) it's almost right on your line of sight, making reflective plates light up well. So if you wanted an excuse to have a helmet light, there's one. They're a double-edged sword, though... it's easy to accidentally blast people in the eyes with them when you look around in traffic.
Old 09-28-06, 08:38 AM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alabama passed a law that considers Paint Ball, Air Soft, Pellet, and BB guns the equivalent of a firearm. When you transport any of them you must have it cleared of ammo and pressure cylinder (if removable) must be disconnected. If you get caught with a loaded Paint Ball, Air Soft, Pellet, or BB gun you lose the firearm, your vehicle, and everything in it plus whatever penalties the Judge issues. Any retailer that sells Paint Ball, Air Soft, Pellet, BB guns, and supplies must have a pamphlet available warning customers about Alabama law concerning Paint Ball, Air Soft, Pellet, and BB guns as being considered the same as any other firearm. This law effetely eliminated problems associated with Paint Ball guns in Alabama. We were also having problems with people freezing pain balls and shooting people and storefronts breaking the glass in some cases, which prompted this law. The police go after these people with a vengeance as there department gets use of the vehicle or the proceeds of it's sale.
Old 09-28-06, 08:40 AM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that sucks - try posting about this and/or speaking to the moderators on www.pbnation.com - they're usually helpful with (outing/name+shame/publicly humiliate/call their parents) morons with paintball markers
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 09-28-06, 08:54 AM
Nyrome
I eat cars

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those boys are little terrorists. glad to hear that you won't let that event create barriers for you.

keep your courage.
Old 09-28-06, 09:00 AM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lot's Knife

Great attitude, and glad to hear you're OK - eff those little terrorist punks, in these cases I have to believe karma will come take a bite out of their ass someday.

Heal soon!
Old 09-28-06, 09:06 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Wow! Sorry to hear that, glad your (kinda) OK.
Old 09-28-06, 09:22 AM
Ngchen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder whether the idiots ever considered that their victim could've easily thought that the shooting was with an actual firearm, and possible drew and returned fire? CCW, anyone?

Then again, the shooters were idiots, so what can we expect?
Old 09-28-06, 09:33 AM
serpico7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hearing about stuff like this makes me want to fit a sawed-off shotgun to my top tube. Too bad a bystander or other motorist didn't take down the plate #. Glad it didn't hit you somewhere where it could do serious damage or cause you to steer into oncoming traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.