Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Old 05-16-20, 12:25 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
This is one of those sellers who has repeatedly list and relisted this bike and the price changes drastically and somewhat illogically each time. I have seen it for $900, $1,400 and now its $1,700. The price is going up and down. Best I can tell was made in 2003. Probably a nice bike in its day, but $1,700 seems way over the value for aluminum frame and old Ultegra.

Trek 2300

TREK --- Road Bike --- 58cm -- High End (NEW PORT RICHEY)

Trek 2300 road race bike, size 58cm. No hurry to sell.
All premium race parts. CALL ONLY. It's not a mass produced bike,
you won't likely run into another while out riding.
Top of the line model. 727TWO 71** 4two O7. You can read reviews
about it online and you'll want it even more.
* I'll knock UP TO $300 off for a fast laptop
or a NIB e scooter that does eighteen mph.
Or a belt drive commuter / City bike.
$1700.
Old 05-16-20, 01:39 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Stay away from the phone unless you're ready to actually meet. Even then, text, don't phone.
This is precisely my protocol, except this guy claimed that he had no cell phone.
Old 05-16-20, 01:52 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I don't know what any of that means.

I list the bike for sale at a certain price. I may be firm ... or my price may be inflated a bit to allow some leeway. Someone writes, "hey, I love the bike, let's meet." We do. In person, he asks, "will you accept $20 less?" I say yes or no.
With complete deference to Lemond1985 , I never make offers over the phone or texts. Its just not cricket. Only in person. I almost always ask as a matter of course, if the seller is flexible on price, and I NEVER haggle price if we are meeting halfway somewhere. I never lower MY asking price if I have to meet someone or deliver. I only give flexibility on my asking price if buyer is congenial and willing to come to my place to take the sale. Everyone has to have a code. Rules. I feel like Jesse Eisenberg's character in Zombieland. Thing is, if you develop a working set of rules and stick to them, you'll never have poor buying/selling experiences on CL. I have met some truly wonderful people from my CL deals, and a few of them are even corresponding friends, whom I hear from often.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 05-17-20, 11:01 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
This is classic. Not sure how long this listing will stay up.

"Great bike for sale it’s been wrecked a few times left outside for years but with a little fixing up and some duck tape it will ride like a champ. I figured,I could get retail prices because I only bought it 5 years ago and I still think it’s in perfect condition..was asking $400 but now, I want $500 because I had to spit shine and take a picture, that’s extra Right? I want every Penny I can get for my old used bike..."
Old 05-17-20, 12:16 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
scammers

I was wondering if you folks ever get scammers responding. A few times i have had people respond . They have very anglo names yet you can tell from their grammar that english is not their first language .Just odd communication, ignore.
Old 05-17-20, 12:17 PM
YouthSpear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
With complete deference to Lemond1985 , I never make offers over the phone or texts. Its just not cricket. Only in person. I almost always ask as a matter of course, if the seller is flexible on price, and I NEVER haggle price if we are meeting halfway somewhere. I never lower MY asking price if I have to meet someone or deliver. I only give flexibility on my asking price if buyer is congenial and willing to come to my place to take the sale. Everyone has to have a code. Rules. I feel like Jesse Eisenberg's character in Zombieland. Thing is, if you develop a working set of rules and stick to them, you'll never have poor buying/selling experiences on CL. I have met some truly wonderful people from my CL deals, and a few of them are even corresponding friends, whom I hear from often.
There is a wealth of opportunity from giving discipline to these ideas, and I often come back with a better deal or extras added by showing promptness and cordial deals with no haggling made before. If you must drive out to get a good deal, describe what value you would place on the item under your circumstances. Settle by hearing them out(in person), and if you feel you want to save money in person, people honestly appreciate you asking them, even if they say no.
Likes For YouthSpear:
Old 05-17-20, 12:39 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
This is classic. Not sure how long this listing will stay up.

"Great bike for sale it’s been wrecked a few times left outside for years but with a little fixing up and some duck tape it will ride like a champ. I figured,I could get retail prices because I only bought it 5 years ago and I still think it’s in perfect condition..was asking $400 but now, I want $500 because I had to spit shine and take a picture, that’s extra Right? I want every Penny I can get for my old used bike..."
That's the famous Salvador Dali bike...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-17-20, 02:51 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by YouthSpear
There is a wealth of opportunity from giving discipline to these ideas, and I often come back with a better deal or extras added by showing promptness and cordial deals with no haggling made before. If you must drive out to get a good deal, describe what value you would place on the item under your circumstances. Settle by hearing them out(in person), and if you feel you want to save money in person, people honestly appreciate you asking them, even if they say no.
Good thoughts, and welcome to C&V!
Old 05-17-20, 10:21 PM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 52 Posts
rolling project...fillet brazed

Likes For cheffyjay:
Old 05-18-20, 04:37 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by cheffyjay
rolling project...fillet brazed

"If not sold soon I guess I'll have to build it up". Is that a threat?
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 05-18-20, 12:53 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
"If not sold soon I guess I'll have to build it up". Is that a threat?
Think of his poor kid, sleeping in a bed with no headboard.

Wonder what "soon" means, given that the ad's been up for a year.

Y'know, seems as CLers and eBayers finally started learning how to spell, compose and shoot, and the WW supply gradually dwindled over the years, along came OfferUp with a new, apparently inexhaustible supply. Thanks folks.

Last edited by madpogue; 05-18-20 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-18-20, 01:14 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Maybe he can build a pizza oven on there...where is the headset?
Old 05-19-20, 02:14 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
"This is a very very good bike. I met lance Armstrong once a while ago and he was with a girl that didn't look like Sheryl but everyone looks different in pictures than they do in real life so I didn't say anything. But Lance told me it was a cool bike. I can't ride it anymore because my wife is making us clean out the garage to make room for her craft studio.

Its in very good condition. I paid $600 for it but since times are tough ill give you a deal."

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d...126800475.html
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 05-19-20, 04:59 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
"This is a very very good bike. I met lance Armstrong once a while ago and he was with a girl that didn't look like Sheryl but everyone looks different in pictures than they do in real life so I didn't say anything. But Lance told me it was a cool bike. I can't ride it anymore because my wife is making us clean out the garage to make room for her craft studio.

Its in very good condition. I paid $600 for it but since times are tough ill give you a deal."

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d...126800475.html
He must have taken the same thing Lance did.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-19-20, 05:17 PM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by 2cam16
He must have taken the same thing Lance did.
Well, that says maybe. But if it were truly "performance-enhancing", the wife wouldn't be wanting to make a craft studio in the garage.

But that _is_ a cool bike; I've never seen a left-side-drive "Nojava" before. No wonder Ecnal was impressed.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 05-19-20, 05:33 PM
vintagebicycle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
This one has been listed for a long time now
___________________________________________________________________________________________

https://cnj.craigslist.org/bik/d/tre...123107845.html

TREK DOMANE AL3 Bicycle - $275

New Yorkers need not respond to this post.......Parts or Repair............ "DAMAGED FRAME"..................
TREK DOMANE AL3 bicycle.Looks nearly new but was involved in a mishap.Has Bontrager seat and
700x28 matched tires on rims.Made of 100Alpha aluminum.This is a high-end bicycle.
See all pictures for details and condition.
Asking $275.00..........FIRM on the price, Non-negotiable.Call or text (NO EMAILS WILL BE ANSWERED)
Likes For vintagebicycle:
Old 05-19-20, 08:36 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagebicycle
This one has been listed for a long time now
___________________________________________________________________________________________

https://cnj.craigslist.org/bik/d/tre...123107845.html

TREK DOMANE AL3 Bicycle - $275

New Yorkers need not respond to this post.......Parts or Repair............ "DAMAGED FRAME"..................
TREK DOMANE AL3 bicycle.Looks nearly new but was involved in a mishap.Has Bontrager seat and
700x28 matched tires on rims.Made of 100Alpha aluminum.This is a high-end bicycle.
See all pictures for details and condition.
Asking $275.00..........FIRM on the price, Non-negotiable.Call or text (NO EMAILS WILL BE ANSWERED)
short wheelbase track bike for use on right turn tracks only.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 05-19-20, 10:17 PM
madpogue 

^^^^ Show up with a hammer, bang down those two kinks enough to push the front wheel forward of the downtube, and demand a test ride.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 05-20-20, 12:51 AM
vintagebicycle

Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^ Show up with a hammer, bang down those two kinks enough to push the front wheel forward of the downtube, and demand a test ride.
On which half? That thing is aluminum, chances are it won't take much to make it a two piece frame being bent like that.
Sort of makes you wonder how it got in that condition? Either a really hard front impact or a really bad fall, ...... from the 8th floor.
Its not likely with damage like that much else survived unscathed unless the frame was intentionally folded.
Likes For vintagebicycle:
Old 05-20-20, 06:11 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Another cheesecake CL ad, I hope she gets her $34,000 or whatever she's axing. What are these people thinking, putting up an ad like this? Would not.

Evil Insurgent (medium) - $3400

"It's Not About The Bike"?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik...122603628.html

Last edited by Lemond1985; 05-20-20 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-20-20, 07:00 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagebicycle
On which half? That thing is aluminum, chances are it won't take much to make it a two piece frame being bent like that.
Sort of makes you wonder how it got in that condition? Either a really hard front impact or a really bad fall, ...... from the 8th floor.
Its not likely with damage like that much else survived unscathed unless the frame was intentionally folded.
I'd be surprised if the damage was due to anything other than the bike being on the roof rack when the owner tried to drive into the garage. If the wheels are truable, there might be $200 in usable parts there between wheels, groupset, seatpost and saddle. If you could get him down to $150 (and you probably couldn't because that's about half his asking), it might be a worthwhile donor to turn a vintage frame into a restomod with modern-ish components.
Old 05-20-20, 07:50 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I'd be surprised if the damage was due to anything other than the bike being on the roof rack when the owner tried to drive into the garage. If the wheels are truable, there might be $200 in usable parts there between wheels, groupset, seatpost and saddle. If you could get him down to $150 (and you probably couldn't because that's about half his asking), it might be a worthwhile donor to turn a vintage frame into a restomod with modern-ish components.
I'm pretty sure I said it before, but either he, or one of us should head over there to strip the parts off of the scrap. What's the group worth without one or both integrated shifters (assuming they're smashed)?

It'd make a good stool, right?
Old 05-20-20, 08:05 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
I'm pretty sure I said it before, but either he, or one of us should head over there to strip the parts off of the scrap. What's the group worth without one or both integrated shifters (assuming they're smashed)?

It'd make a good stool, right?
Oh yeah, I didn't notice the twisted left lever. That'd drop the value down to just about nothing to me. I was looking at it as a turn-key donor bike.
Old 05-20-20, 08:56 AM
vintagebicycle

Originally Posted by himespau
I thought about the garage idea but I would have figured that on most bike racks that hold the bike with both wheels attached, the bike would have just gotten ripped off the rack or the rack ripped off the roof of the car. On a rack which mounts via a front fork clamp with the wheel off, the damage would still have likely been more compression than folding. The bike would have likely gone to one side or the other bending or snapping the forks or crushing a wheel. If you look close at the other pics posted, that bike has a lot of sun fade on the top surfaces, and some deep scratches on the front of the top tube. It likely spends a lot of time chained up somewhere. My guess was that maybe it was chained to one of those parking hoops in NYC and it got hit by a car or garbage truck with the frame cabled to a heavy structure. Either that or caught somehow in an elevator or doorway? If not it likely just took a flying leap out a window onto something solid like a railing or fire hydrant. The wheels don't look damaged enough to have taken a hit. The twisted lever also is just twisted, not crushed.
I see it as a $50 gamble at best without looking at it up close, and I'd be willing to bet its far worse in person than it looks to be in those pics.
I couldn't imagine buying a bike like that and leaving it outside or just chaining it up all day somewhere. Every last place i worked and rode a bike to had someplace indoors to keep the bike. Whether it was hanging in a closet, or on a hook somewhere in the warehouse. I even parked one in my office on the second floor for a couple of years. When I worked at a bike shop years ago, I just put my bike in the back store room or hung it on a hook in the shop.

For another $325 you can have one without the damage: https://www.letgo.com/en-us/i/trek-d...4-dc49388652b6
(unless its the same bike and all that was caused by shipping damage?)

Last edited by vintagebicycle; 05-20-20 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-20-20, 09:03 AM
curbtender

That's right, blame the garbageman...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.