Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Group Rides- What am I missing?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 07-22-12, 10:42 PM
redvespablur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am predisposed by temperament to ride alone but have been tempted by reading about the joys of group riding. However, when I come upon these groups when our riding I get the feeling I am missing nothing.

This morning, for example, I came across a group ride about 20k into a 45k loop and it was constructed of about 20 riders cruising at about 30 kph over pretty flat terrain - they were just cruising mostly soft pedaling - taking up the whole lane - obstructing traffic without concern and certainly not leaving any room for another rider to slip by without braving oncoming traffic. I had to tuck in behind for 10 minutes waiting for them to pick it up a bit. When it was obvious they were not going to pick it up I managed to squeeze by.

Group dominated by two or three alpha males who clearly were much stronger than companions but were cruising along awaiting short Strava segments? before making any effort whatsoever. The ride did not even look like a workout - as a Clyde the workout part is pretty important to me.

To me the attraction of the group would be the extra speed not the less effort. Am I missing anything? Or am I just ok out there on my own. This was clearly not the A ride (I'm not A ride ready yet) but the drop off from A to next level pretty steep.
Old 07-23-12, 06:21 AM
Guinnessmike

Bikes: Diamondback Cross Country Specialized Sirrus Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing groups do for me is make me faster if you are faster than the group than maybe that won't help - to be honest being single and slower puts me with all the gals in groups so that is one bonus of group riding
Old 07-23-12, 07:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
I believe you very well may be missing something. July 23rd is a Monday. Ever hear of a "recovery ride?" Many groups do them on Monday after a weekend of hard riding.

In any event, find a group ride that is fat enough for your liking. Sounds like you are making an assessment of group riding based on one example.

I will be leading a group ride this coming Saturday. It will be a workout, and I won't tolerate people taking up the entire road and obstructing traffic.
Old 07-23-12, 08:14 AM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by redvespablur
I am predisposed by temperament to ride alone but have been tempted by reading about the joys of group riding. However, when I come upon these groups when our riding I get the feeling I am missing nothing.

This morning, for example, I came across a group ride about 20k into a 45k loop and it was constructed of about 20 riders cruising at about 30 kph over pretty flat terrain - they were just cruising mostly soft pedaling - taking up the whole lane - obstructing traffic without concern and certainly not leaving any room for another rider to slip by without braving oncoming traffic. I had to tuck in behind for 10 minutes waiting for them to pick it up a bit. When it was obvious they were not going to pick it up I managed to squeeze by.

Group dominated by two or three alpha males who clearly were much stronger than companions but were cruising along awaiting short Strava segments? before making any effort whatsoever. The ride did not even look like a workout - as a Clyde the workout part is pretty important to me.

To me the attraction of the group would be the extra speed not the less effort. Am I missing anything? Or am I just ok out there on my own. This was clearly not the A ride (I'm not A ride ready yet) but the drop off from A to next level pretty steep.
Getting a workout from a group ride is going to depend on a couple factors.
  • Is the group ride fast enough? Some groups are slow and social. But then, this may be just what the doctor ordered. A recovery ride is on my schedule usually for Monday or Tuesday. Often, on Mondays, I'll ride with the self-proclaimed, "slow group" (although many of them could easily ride with the "fast group"). Choose wisely.
  • Where do you ride? If you're not getting enough of a workout, go to the front of the group and set pace. And you don't necessarily have to drop everyone else. Setting pace on front of a group for a 2-hour ride is quite the workout. If you need intervals, do one, then slow & wait for the group to catch up (my son does this on the aforementioned Monday slow ride) while you recover. Repeat. I'm sure the group will understand, especially if you tell them.

The nice thing about group rides for me is some or all of the following:
  • Faster speeds
  • Better workout
  • Friendly atmosphere
  • Ease of comparison (against other riders or against same course) to see if my fitness is getting better
  • Company on the road
Old 07-23-12, 08:34 AM
redvespablur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I should just try to hang on to a small A group rather than trying to find the right tempo B group.

I only get in 1 -2 rides a week so I don't want to do recovery rides so much.
Thanks for replies.
Old 07-23-12, 09:29 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe I should just try to hang on to a small A group rather than trying to find the right tempo B group.

I only get in 1 -2 rides a week so I don't want to do recovery rides so much.
Thanks for replies.
If a group cruising at 19 mph is too slow for you, yeah, you need to ride with the A group. Most B groups ride at a 16-18, maybe 19 pace on the flats.
Old 07-23-12, 04:42 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw
If a group cruising at 19 mph is too slow for you, yeah, you need to ride with the A group. Most B groups ride at a 16-18, maybe 19 pace on the flats.
I think you'll find averages that are all over the map depending on the group(s) in question. The bunch I ride with twice a week has 5 groups - an A, three Bs and a C. I ride with the slowest of the Bs and we average between 17.5 and 18.5, with explicit instructions to whomever wants to pull to keep it at 18-20 mph. While that's only slightly faster than the speeds you mention, keep in mind it's the slowest of three B groups.

To the OP, find a group with numbers that seem to fit your riding, then go out with them to see if they're telling the truth. If it's a good fit, terrific; if it isn't, then you have to decide whether you want to finish before the bunch or after. I'll always pick after, so I have someone to chase and a speed to aspire to. Finishing ahead of the group gets boring fast.

Last edited by CraigB; 07-23-12 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-23-12, 08:04 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
OP - Try calling out "passing on your left" or such next time and see if they pay attention and yield to let you by. They should share the road courteously and legally but otherwise their speed and ride intentions are their business.
Old 07-24-12, 06:54 PM
redvespablur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
" but otherwise their speed and ride intentions are their business."

Wow - good to see you are running for moderator. I will PM to see if its ok to ask a question.....
Old 07-24-12, 08:38 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Sometimes a 'good' workout needn't feel hard. Big mistake that most folks make.

Blocking the road doesn't seem smart. They should have been in two lines and rotating.
Old 07-24-12, 09:17 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are as many different ways for a group to ride as there are ways for individuals. If riding with a group of like minded individuals interests you, look around until you find such a group.

Unless you're joining a "workout" group, chances are that most groups will be riding at a less than race pace. Most groups are in it as a sort of camaraderie thing, putting in miles together at the pace of the slowest member (with the exception of significant hills and/or strava segments:-).

Typically you can take one of two approaches: One, ride with a group that leaves you well within your abilities. Or, two, find a group that is going to challenge you. Rarely will there be a group that is Goldielocks perfect. The group I've been riding with lately varies a fair bit from week to week depending upon who shows up.
Old 07-24-12, 10:29 PM
redvespablur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would rather ride alone except I go markedly faster when I am chasing someone down. I really, really like to go fast. I'm kind of embracing the whole suffering thing

I just need a rabbit to chase down - not a group of buddies - although a beer after would be ok.

Thanks for all replies
Old 07-24-12, 10:35 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an idea:

Just stick a straightened out coat hanger into the front of your helmet, with your choice of photograph hanging from the end of it. Just don't tell us if you go for a TDF pro or opt for the supermodel route.
Old 07-27-12, 08:23 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
" but otherwise their speed and ride intentions are their business."

Wow - good to see you are running for moderator. I will PM to see if its ok to ask a question.....
I'm not looking for a fight but I've no problem arguing if you want.
Group rides aren't all just going out and hammering it or racing strava segments. Sometimes it's fun to just roll along and visit on a nice day.
Old 07-27-12, 08:33 PM
hammer_down

Bikes: Fuji Saratoga fixed. Felt Curbside fixed. Peugeot Marsielle road bike. Columbia Sport 3 speed. Iron Horse SGS Sport DH MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
there's a tuesday night group ride near me, i did it once so far but have been busy the past couple tuesdays to do it again. they average 16-18mph and its about a 2 hour long ride. I was the only fixed gear, and i was definitely the only Clydesdale; there was one hill i had to walk up, but other than that it was actually a nice ride. the group gave me a round of applause for finishing the 26 or so miles with them, being the only fixed gear, and i assume for being the biggest guy there haha!
Old 07-27-12, 08:34 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Those of us , as an example you and I, who are solitary by nature will always find groups or crowds to be both annoying and uncomfortable.

Only really special people ever "get in" our circle of comfort with other people.

I wouldn't worry about it since , for us, it is perfectly normal.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-27-12, 08:50 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
"Group" rides vary from one end of the spectrum to the other. Some will be conversational pace rides, some will be training, some are novices, some are well experienced, and all of them will be different.
I personally enjoy really show paced conversational rides most of the time, but also enjoy joining a group who are slightly faster than myself from time to time just to push and see what I can do.

The club that rides out of the shops I have close by are all fairly fit, and quick IMO even on the "B Social" ride. I asked about, and helped create a novice paced slow group for club nights so that new riders could learn about group riding and not feel so intimidated about (or simply join due to obliviousness about) the average speed requirements for the groups. It has helped a lot for the club and for me. I have people to ride with for a while till they get faster, and it has helped increase the number of new riders sticking in and moving up to the faster groups.