Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Saw a Nasty Crash Today

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Saw a Nasty Crash Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-13, 02:56 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Saw a Nasty Crash Today

It happened in a state park here in PA. On a very cold, wind swept day as I was finishing up my ride. An older gentleman (I'd say early-mid 60's) passed me on the loop, going quite fast. The final stretch of the loop is a steep downhill (about a half mile or more). I'd been down the stretch earlier, and there were two sections of black ice. As I had been completely stopped, it dawned on me to try and catch up to warn him......but he was too far ahead and moving too fast.

Sure enough, as I came towards the bottom, there he was - sprawled out on the tarmac. He had hit one of the icy sections, and taken quite a nasty tumble. I didn't see him fall, but it looked quite bad. He was probably going 20+. At first, I thought he was dead. He lay there - unconcious, but breathing. Several hikers came by, and after a minute or two he came to on his own. I asked him not to move (we had quickly called 911), but he slowly rolled onto his back, then very slowly sat up. He was banged up pretty good, bleeding a little (the cold suppressed the blood), but no broken bones. Although he complained of a headache and was woozy, he appeared to have escaped with perhaps only a mild concussion. His helmet was badly dented, scratched and cracked! If ever there was an individual lucky enough to be wearing a helmet, it was him!

An ambulance quickly arrived, and he was helped inside (he had the presence of mind to call his wife - I wonder how that call went!). I helped with his bike, which was a little mangled up at the top.

It was very upsetting to witness and a terrible way to end an otherwise wonderful bike ride, but it looks like everything will turn out okay for him.

So, the lesson of the day ......... wear your helmets at all times!!!!

Last edited by wthensler; 02-02-13 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-02-13, 03:27 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
Because the helmet prevented a concussion in this case, right?
Old 02-02-13, 03:40 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Certainly can't say for sure, but it likely reduced the severity.
Old 02-02-13, 04:28 PM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had 3 significant wrecks on a bike where my head hit the pavement. No brain affects from the two with the helmet; the one without = concussion. Ask me if I wear a helmet? You bet.
Old 02-02-13, 04:35 PM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From my understanding, helmets dont do a very good job at preventing concussions but they do a great job at preventing skulls factures.
Old 02-02-13, 05:28 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Originally Posted by Angio Graham
From my understanding, helmets dont do a very good job at preventing concussions but they do a great job at preventing skulls factures.
If you saw the helmet, it clearly absorbed a lot of the impact. Wish I snapped a photo, but I wasn't thinking of that at the time
Old 02-02-13, 05:54 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
No - the main lesson is don't ride too fast for conditions. The helmet is there as a last resort only. You should think about the conditions you might encounter and adjust speed accordingly. Not ride as fast as possible and think your pathetic helmet is going to save you in any case.
Old 02-02-13, 06:32 PM
wthensler 

Originally Posted by 009jim
No - the main lesson is don't ride too fast for conditions. The helmet is there as a last resort only. You should think about the conditions you might encounter and adjust speed accordingly. Not ride as fast as possible and think your pathetic helmet is going to save you in any case.
Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, in this case, even zero would have been too fast. But the poor guy was clearly going WAY too fast.
Old 02-02-13, 10:32 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
This.

Even though I live where ice is rare, when there is a chance of it being in the hills, I ride the flats. If it is in the flatlands, I get on my rollers. I'm just too old to slide along on the ice with any success, so for me the only safe speed on ice is 0 mph.
Old 02-03-13, 04:36 AM
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An older gentleman (I'd say early-mid 60's) . . . . HA! . . . .
Old 02-03-13, 05:17 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll take a concusion over a fractured skull anyday. No helmet=no ride for me and my kids.
Old 02-03-13, 06:17 AM
wthensler 

Originally Posted by Jamesw2
An older gentleman (I'd say early-mid 60's) . . . . HA! . . . .
I meant older than me (I'm 'only' in my mid 50's). I didn't say 'elderly'.....
Old 02-03-13, 06:22 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good thing you and other folks were there. On a speed note - was he a roadie, or was he just a fella on a hybrid going for speed on the downhill? A 20 mph skidout/crash is horrific. On a positive note the skidding probably lessened any road rash?
Old 02-03-13, 06:27 AM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Did somebody mention helmets? Lets throw in a vc comment too and get her going right!
Old 02-03-13, 07:05 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
.....So, the lesson of the day ......... wear your helmets at all times!!!!
Originally Posted by Angio Graham
Maybe, maybe not, but please lets not turn this thread into another "Pro-Helmet/Anti-Helmet" discussion. We have plenty of those already.

What I will say though, is that a helmet and gloves definitely can serve as protection against road rash, so any additional protection that they may offer is just a bonus, and since "His helmet was badly dented, scratched and cracked!", I would guess that the rider benefited to some degree by having been wearing one.

No - the main lesson is don't ride too fast for conditions.....
+1, and to that I will just add ".....or too fast for your own ability to control your bike".

Black ice is a forseeable condition in many areas of the country at this time of the year, and it is unfortunate that the fallen rider didn't take that possibility into account. I also think that the riders was lucky to have you and the hikers there to call 911 and assist him appropriately.
Old 02-03-13, 09:02 AM
wthensler 

Originally Posted by Essex
Good thing you and other folks were there. On a speed note - was he a roadie, or was he just a fella on a hybrid going for speed on the downhill? A 20 mph skidout/crash is horrific. On a positive note the skidding probably lessened any road rash?
He had on bluejeans and boots, so my guess is not a roadie, just riding a nice steel endurance bike. The park is well traveled, so it was his good fortune that there was cell phone service.
Old 02-03-13, 02:00 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Stealthammer
Maybe, maybe not, but please lets not turn this thread into another "Pro-Helmet/Anti-Helmet" discussion. We have plenty of those already.
Too late, you missed the fact that the OP already turned it into a helmet thread in post 1.
Old 02-05-13, 05:51 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He had on bluejeans and boots, so my guess is not a roadie, just riding a nice steel endurance bike. The park is well traveled, so it was his good fortune that there was cell phone service.
Cheers.

From a behaviorial / lucidity perspective - odd. You would think he had enough requisite life experiences (60), or environmental cues to come to some conclusion that perhaps speeding down a hill was a bad idea? Just contextually odd, but I see people here in NY ride their bikes in traffic thumbing a cell phone too.
Old 02-10-13, 12:40 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Too late, you missed the fact that the OP already turned it into a helmet thread in post 1.
Naah...the op merely threw in what he thought was a good little piece of advice at the end of a post.

I'll agree that it was unnecessary, but it wasn't evil.

You're the one who tried to turn it into a helmet thread.

Why don't you try having a bit of patience for folks who don't always type exactly the right words? We can't all be that perfect, O Great Wise One.
Old 02-10-13, 12:45 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A friend takes humorous issue with the term black ice, wondering why the descriptor gets attached when the ice becomes evil. That notwithstanding, black ice is no joke. My most serious solo crash featured that nasty stuff.

Early spring rides can be wonderful but watch those surfaces!
Old 02-10-13, 01:56 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Studded snow tires.

May not have prevented the wreck but certainly would have reduced the odds. As necessary in winter months as a helmet in my mind.
Old 02-10-13, 09:03 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A bike helmet won't prevent a closed head injury. But it sure will prevent something more serious. Unless the cyclist is riding in such a manner, that the inertia of a crash will exceed the capabilities of the bike helmet. It also will depend the ratings of the 'Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute', for said bike helmet. Because, Each helmet under the same conditions, will react differently in a crash where contact is made with the head.
Old 02-11-13, 12:11 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods
Naah...the op merely threw in what he thought was a good little piece of advice at the end of a post.

I'll agree that it was unnecessary, but it wasn't evil.

You're the one who tried to turn it into a helmet thread.

Why don't you try having a bit of patience for folks who don't always type exactly the right words? We can't all be that perfect, O Great Wise One.
= helmet thread.

Where did I say anything about evil?

Oh, I forgot, you do not like anyone noting that bicycle helmets do not live up to the hype.
Old 02-11-13, 12:15 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Chris516
A bike helmet won't prevent a closed head injury. But it sure will prevent something more serious. Unless the cyclist is riding in such a manner, that the inertia of a crash will exceed the capabilities of the bike helmet. It also will depend the ratings of the 'Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute', for said bike helmet. Because, Each helmet under the same conditions, will react differently in a crash where contact is made with the head.
You make it sound like you do not believe concussions and brain swelling are any big deal.
Old 02-11-13, 09:23 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes indeed, and we have a lovely thread just for the purpose of discussing helmet use, so this thread will be closed.

Forum Guidelines *click here*