Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What would you do? (Attacked on the trail)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-25-14, 12:56 AM
Jackal

Bikes: 09 Felt F3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was riding on the trail on Sunday afternoon, and was physically attacked by a pedestrian.

He was walking right in the middle of the bike trail, and as I was riding by (at 18 mph) this perpetrator kicked me in the thigh, presumably to knock me off of my bike. I was completely stunned. I am fine, besides some bruising, but it could have been worse, especially if I had caught him.

He ran off, and I could probably have caught him, but its probably good I didn't.

What would you have done?

Long story short, be careful out there.
Old 03-25-14, 01:02 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Where was this?
Old 03-25-14, 02:07 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Personally I would have made a citizens arrest and called the cops. Then again that's just me.
Old 03-25-14, 02:20 AM
superdx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hell? Maybe he was just a crazy person? If he was looking to rob you, you'd think he'd have kept it up.
Old 03-25-14, 02:31 AM
jmio

Bikes: raleigh carbon competition, trek 6500 hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
would have been a bad, very bad day for that guy, but, i'm 220 military trained and love to give a good a$$ whoopin! I only cycle to cut up from lifting, so not your typical skinny cyclist. good on you for not catching him. Did you call the cops?
Old 03-25-14, 05:06 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
1. You ride a ROAD bicycle ... right?

2. What were you doing riding 18 mph on a MUP, and not only a MUP but a MUP with pedestrians?

3. And how did a pedestrian manage to kick you in the thigh while you passed him at 18 mph?? That was one amazing shot.
Old 03-25-14, 05:08 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

2. What were you doing riding 18 mph on a MUP, and not only a MUP but a MUP with pedestrians?
Yup. I get the feeling we're not hearing the whole story.

Old 03-25-14, 05:31 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The guy may have pissed that you were riding so fast OP by him...he took it as disrespect.

I will say the smart thing is never fight. To deny that there is a small cross-section...some would say big ...that isn't crazy is to deny the obvious. Its the same with any confrontation...including road rage. Best to avoid angry crazy people.

But, that doesn't keep guys from fighting at times...sometimes with costly consequences.
Old 03-25-14, 05:36 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 603 Posts

3. And how did a pedestrian manage to kick you in the thigh while you passed him at 18 mph?? That was one amazing shot.
This ^^^^
Old 03-25-14, 06:31 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Breaking News!!! You cant ride your "Road Bike" on the "Bike Trail", Really??? I don't know where you guys live but here in Central Florida you can most certainly ride your road bike on the bike trails. Every bike shop in town has weekly rides on them and you cant go out at any time of day without either passing them or being passed by them. To the op, glad you're ok and I would have probably done the same thing unless I had been thrown from the bike or crashed. Better to avoid confrontation when possible because you just never know who or what you're dealing with. I would have called the police with a description of the guy and left the dirty work up to them. As far as hearing the whole story, who knows, we weren't there but just last week there was a crazy homeless guy swinging a golf club at passers by on the West Orange Trail and the Police had just detained him as I was riding by. I wasn't there to see if he had been provoked but he was acting crazy and looked pretty intoxicated. Maybe he was upset with how fast you were passing? Maybe he wanted your bike? Maybe he was crazy?
Old 03-25-14, 06:33 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I wonder what kind of responses the OP would have gotten had he posted he was going 14 mph instead of 18.

They're not that much different.
Old 03-25-14, 06:44 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
He heard you and pivoted in time to land a kick?

Tell us more.
Did he appear to be laying for you-sorta' planning to kick the next cyclist
or was he startled-lashed out? can't be that since you would have veered to clear him by as much as possible??
What was said ?
surely he "MoFo-ed" you?? said something??
Old 03-25-14, 06:46 AM
unionmade

Bikes: Litespeed M1, Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No excuse whatsoever for a pedestrian to attempt to hurt a cyclist. I hope the cops catch him.

I do try to stay away from the MUP's on my road bike. I don't even like them for my commute. Pedestrians are just too unpredictable.
Old 03-25-14, 06:51 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
I don't know where you guys live but here in Central Florida you can most certainly ride your road bike on the bike trails.
This obviously varies by where you live and the specific trail. In Jacksonville, you can routinely do 20mph without a problem. For the most part, there aren't that many users, and other than the first mile or so, slow cyclists, kids, pedestrians, dogs etc. are few and far between.

But when you're around any of the above you need to slow down and give them a wide berth. I simply assume they are going to do the stupidist thing possible, and pass them in a manner that they couldn't hit me if they tried.

They've got the right of way on the MUP, and its your obligation not to hit them, no matter how stupid they act. Here it was intentional, but if the OP was prepared for them to mistakenly jump into him, he couldn't have kicked him.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-25-14, 06:59 AM
RIRview

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2 Project One

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here where I live, the MUP's are clearly marked with painted lanes that not only say "Bikes" and "Peds," they also have symbols (footprints and a bike stencil). While most people stay in their designated lanes, there are always clueless walkers who stroll down the middle of the bike lane, and either appear annoyed or startled when bikes have to swerve to avoid them.
Old 03-25-14, 07:17 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by RIRview
Here where I live, the MUP's are clearly marked with painted lanes that not only say "Bikes" and "Peds," they also have symbols (footprints and a bike stencil). While most people stay in their designated lanes, there are always clueless walkers who stroll down the middle of the bike lane, and either appear annoyed or startled when bikes have to swerve to avoid them.
That's what your bell is for.
Old 03-25-14, 07:20 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Well in our town, we have two different things: MUP and Class I bike paths.

The MUP are unpaved and used for biking, hiking/walking, and horseback riding. Everyone is supposed to yield to equestrians, and bikers yield to hikers/walkers.

Class I bike paths are different things- paved and used for cycling & pedestrians. Almost all of them have a sidewalk for pedestrian use and two bike lanes separated by a dashed yellow line. The bike lanes are painted with bicycle symbols and the sidewalk is marked with pedestrian symbols. There are no official right of way rules published, just ride to the right & ride safely. No published speed limit for cyclists. I assume there are no published right-of-way rules because the paths are designed such that cyclists will be seperated from pedestrians.

Of course this is not what happens, pedestrians walk on the bike path rather than on the sidewalk. So you definitely have to watch your speed or (better yet) ride in the lonely part of the day. But as a general rule, I'd have zero guilt riding fast on a bike path, especially if doing so is an alternative to gumming up rush hour traffic on a 4 lane road. I wish actually there was some sort of bicycle cop patrol that would ride around and remind pedestrians that everyone would be safer if they walked in their designated lane.

H
Old 03-25-14, 07:27 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,466 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
I wonder what kind of responses the OP would have gotten had he posted he was going 14 mph instead of 18.

The problem is that if he admitted to 18 he was probably doing 22 or more. We're not hearing the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Frankly, my suspicions arise right away when I hear a sob story.

So Mr. Jackal, you going to come back and explain yourself, or are you content to just toss a grenade in the room?
Old 03-25-14, 07:42 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo

I had the same thought and in this scenario I doubt that the bicycle speed was much of the issue.

Not enough information.
Old 03-25-14, 07:44 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
The problem is that if he admitted to 18 he was probably doing 22 or more. ?
This is always true of my posts. If I say I rode 30 miles at 22mph then likely I'm just being humble and I went 25.
Old 03-25-14, 08:02 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
That's what your bell is for.
Except @Machka, 95% of the peds are wearing earbuds and cannot hear you. I wish that there was some huge societal shift towards the only acceptable behavior out in public being situational awareness/attentiveness as to what's going on around you.

H
Old 03-25-14, 08:11 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Unless you're going 12mph and gawking at the trees, I don't even see the point of being on an MUP. I find the ones around here more dangerous than the road.

Old 03-25-14, 08:46 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
You should report the incident to the police along with a description. The police will do nothing, unless it happens to another cyclist, in which case, your report will establish a pattern of behavior and can help get a more aggressive prosecution.
Old 03-25-14, 09:01 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackal
I was riding on the trail on Sunday afternoon, and was physically attacked by a pedestrian.

He was walking right in the middle of the bike trail, and as I was riding by (at 18 mph) this perpetrator kicked me in the thigh, presumably to knock me off of my bike. I was completely stunned. I am fine, besides some bruising, but it could have been worse, especially if I had caught him.

He ran off, and I could probably have caught him, but its probably good I didn't.

What would you have done?

Long story short, be careful out there.
The guy gets kicked and it is his fault?

wow

so I can feel free to assault anyone I deem is performing bad behavior?

To answer op question I am not sure I would have behaved as well as you did. I most likely would have chased down and confronted. What happens next I cannot guess. My guess is escalation.

I think you did the right thing. I think calling the police and reporting is a good idea. I hope it never happens again
Old 03-25-14, 09:03 AM
darb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yelling slow down would have been the correct plan of attack from the ped. but you need to slow down on mup. but that is crazy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.