Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sudden flat tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 05:04 PM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Sudden flat tire

An enigma. We on the couch watching TV. The bike was on a floor rack and hadn't been ridden in two days. Suddenly a loud hiss and the back tire instantly deflates. The tube has never been patched. I'm guessing it's the rubber seal by the valve, but not sure. I can't think of what else it would be.
Old 04-04-20, 05:07 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Pixies. They need some rubber for their moonshot slingshot. They'll wait until you bin the old tube and then pounce...
Old 04-04-20, 05:15 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Perhaps you will discover the cause when you dismount the tire. Let us know what you find.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-04-20, 05:58 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
You are correct in your description of a sudden flat tire. Good job.

I don't know why people are offering suggestions, you clearly didn't pose a question.
Old 04-04-20, 09:01 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
We walk around in a circle and suppose but the secret lies in the middle and knows.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 04-04-20, 09:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check around the valve for cuts -- hold the tube under water and check where the bubbles come out. If it's around the valve stem, check the rim for burrs. Especially with Presta valves if you use the retainer nuts. I do -- makes it easier to inflate a tube from scratch, especially with push-on chucks like that on my floor pump (my mini-pumps have threaded chucks).

Recently I forgot to loosen the Presta valve retainer nut after inflating the tube. A few days later it leaked through a nick around the valve stem. Sure nuff, burr around the rim valve stem hole. And I made it worse by overtightening the valve retainer nut. I deburred the rim and reminded myself to loosen the nut after inflating, if I can't force myself to do without the retainer nuts completely.

On the plus side, I'm doing my part to keep my LBS in business during this carumbavirus pandemic (they're limiting the shop to 2 customers at a time, and I wore my mask and tried to avoid touching stuff I didn't plan to actually buy). Had to visit a couplafew days ago so they could pull a jammed crown race for me (they have the proper fancypants Park tool, which I can't justify buying). And they never charge me enough for service favors, so my conscience compels me to buy tubes and stuff I won't need for years. I usually patch tubes until there's more patch than tube, but I don't try to fix tubes with cuts near the valve stem.
Old 04-05-20, 12:37 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I have had mystery blow-outs .... sounds like a gun going off .... great to liven up a quiet evening ......
Old 04-05-20, 03:20 AM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Trevtassie, if you lived in Hawaii you would know it was the Menehune not pixies that did ii. A burr around the valve hole (it was a presta) sounds plausible, but why suddenly with no movement did it pop. My hunch is that the glue on the flap holding the valve in place gave out. I had a similar sudden deflation happen while I was riding on another bike. It was the valve flap. Both were Specialized tubes.

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-05-20 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-05-20, 06:38 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have had mystery blow-outs .... sounds like a gun going off .... great to liven up a quiet evening ......
Apparently we have different types of guns......
Old 04-05-20, 07:17 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Over-inflation? I've had it happen twice, both times when I inflated a tire in the PM for a ride the next morning. I overinflated 70psi tires to about 85psi and they went 'BOOM' without warning a few hours later. First time I thought it was a faulty tire, next time I got a little more inquisitive and noticed the displaced tire; the tire bead gets pushed out over the rim where the tube was able to force its way out, and the tube pops along a seam in that area. Solution: pay attention to the psi rating on the tire sidewall and don't exceed it!!
Old 04-05-20, 09:30 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
If i were to hazard a guess as to why it went flat, I'd say it was due to all the air escaping. You could probably resolve the enigma by investigating what may have caused it.