Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Spam

Old 04-11-20, 04:36 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,690 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Am I partly to blame for this?
Not THIS time.
Old 04-11-20, 11:36 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
No.
Old 04-15-20, 12:10 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Okay I see your issue and understand your frustration. DON'T opt in and DON'T unsubscribe. IT'S TOO MUCH TROUBLE TO UNSUBSCRIBE.
The point is that by not opting in, we shouldn't have to do anything else.
Old 04-15-20, 12:57 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
The point is that by not opting in, we shouldn't have to do anything else.
Took me about two seconds to unsubscribe, and about as many mouse clicks. I think there are other causes more deserving of my moral outrage.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 04-16-20, 09:17 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Took me about two seconds to unsubscribe, and about as many mouse clicks. I think there are other causes more deserving of my moral outrage.
That is NOT the point. The point is that we have already made it clear by NOT opting in that we do NOT want to receive those UNWANTED emails. They have continued to send them. So WHY are we supposed to think that they are going to honour a second request to stop sending those UNWANTED emails?

And

a) given the number of threads on this topic I am NOT the ONLY person who is upset by this.
b) by NOT opting in WE shouldn't have to take any further action.
c) by ignoring our NOT opting in we have no reason to trust that they are going to honour a second request to opt out.
Old 04-16-20, 10:41 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
That is NOT the point. The point is that we have already made it clear by NOT opting in that we do NOT want to receive those UNWANTED emails. They have continued to send them. So WHY are we supposed to think that they are going to honour a second request to stop sending those UNWANTED emails?

And

a) given the number of threads on this topic I am NOT the ONLY person who is upset by this.
b) by NOT opting in WE shouldn't have to take any further action.
c) by ignoring our NOT opting in we have no reason to trust that they are going to honour a second request to opt out.
It's a combination of things. Because of the way our sales email client works and populates its send list, occasionally there is a miscommunication. No system is perfect, but given that there are probably 20 people bringing this up out of over 8,000 members who were active in the last month (so .25%), I'd say a 99.75% success rate is pretty good.

We send those emails to keep the site free to use and your address is not sold. Everything is done in-house. If you unsubscribe in the email, you should no longer receive them in the future.
Old 04-16-20, 11:12 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IBJoel
It's a combination of things. Because of the way our sales email client works and populates its send list, occasionally there is a miscommunication. No system is perfect, but given that there are probably 20 people bringing this up out of over 8,000 members who were active in the last month (so .25%), I'd say a 99.75% success rate is pretty good.

We send those emails to keep the site free to use and your address is not sold. Everything is done in-house. If you unsubscribe in the email, you should no longer receive them in the future.
Did you stop to consider that those 20 are the only ones who have decided to complain? And that there are plenty of others who are not complaining haven't reached the breaking point yet.
Old 04-16-20, 11:31 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Did you stop to consider that those 20 are the only ones who have decided to complain? And that there are plenty of others who are not complaining haven't reached the breaking point yet.
It's always possible. But you have reported your problem and received instructions for implementing a solution.