Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Home dealers push second hand bike prices up

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Home dealers push second hand bike prices up

Old 04-21-20, 05:22 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
God bless capitalism! The market drives the demand. The refurbishers provide the supply. Anyone with the skills can do this also, and nobody can stop you.

Capitalism is an absolute sham.
Old 04-21-20, 06:52 AM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
none of the original post makes sense.
if there are bargains, why should
i just can;t go on

responding to nonsense
i can't

(opening craigslist to look for cheap bikes, now i am inspired
actually with lockdown + spring, people are riding bikes AND people are buying craigslist stuff like it;s going out of style
actually i thought it was going out of style
but no
craigslist ho!)

wle
Likes For wle:
Old 04-21-20, 07:29 AM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
is the buying and selling of assets (usually financial instruments) by taking advantage of price differences in different markets. This is as common as pigeons.

I don't have any problem with intermediate vendors doing this, as their influence isn't the primary driver of market prices. Unless they come to dominate a very small local market, in which case they can drive up prices.

In my local (large) market, there are dozens and dozens of bikes available at relatively cheap prices. More than anyone could ever want or need. Very few are in fully refurbished, cleanly presented, truly ready-to-ride condition. This type of bike commands a premium price...and gets it.
Also, 3 words - "free market capitalism".

If you don't like the price, don't buy (or, don't buy from that "dealer)". If enuf people don't buy, supply goes up, demand goes down, along with prices. That is, unless there is collusion or some kind of "cartel" involved
Old 04-21-20, 08:34 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by stephr1
Also, 3 words - "free market capitalism".

If you don't like the price, don't buy (or, don't buy from that "dealer)". If enuf people don't buy, supply goes up, demand goes down, along with prices. That is, unless there is collusion or some kind of "cartel" involved
Can people please stop talking about economics...

This isn't a free market. There is no true free market. For however weird OP is, one thing was made clear and that is that this is about local deals. Which drastically limits the competition aspect. What is happening here is nothing but rent-seeking (these hypothetical pensioners are manipulating the environment in which market activity is taking place). The next thing OP mentions is uninformed buyers, meaning we do not have a situation where both parties have the same level of information in the market exchange, another violation of the idea of a competitive market.

This in practice is no different than buying tickets to events cheap well in advance and then selling them for much more shortly before - what economic value have you created? None.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 04-21-20, 10:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo

This isn't a free market. There is no true free market. For however weird OP is, one thing was made clear and that is that this is about local deals. Which drastically limits the competition aspect. What is happening here is nothing but rent-seeking (these hypothetical pensioners are manipulating the environment in which market activity is taking place). The next thing OP mentions is uninformed buyers, meaning we do not have a situation where both parties have the same level of information in the market exchange, another violation of the idea of a competitive market.

This in practice is no different than buying tickets to events cheap well in advance and then selling them for much more shortly before - what economic value have you created? None.

BS. Your freshman econ 101 is pretty rusty.

The information is readily available--bicycles are not complicated so information asymmetry isn't really a factor, and rent seeking is really not practical even in a small market as barriers to entry are low to non-existent. Anyone who wants to put in the time to do this can do so.

Those assumptions are of "perfect competition", BTW, not free markets, which just means that prices are set by supply and demand without authoritative regulation. Perfect competition is an idealized state as any economist will acknowledge.

The comparison to ticket resales is absurd. Tickets are a product where literally nothing can be done to change it that won't decrease the value. A lot of these guys are taking bikes that aren't functional or only marginally so, and taking the time and materials necessary to produce useable bikes. And even if they are not improving them, gathering them together so someone can look at many at a time might, by itself be a service people are willing to pay a little more for.
Old 04-21-20, 11:06 AM
theDirtyLemon

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Actually, the ticket analogy would be accurate if these vile pensioners had bought rare bikes at wholesale direct from the manufacturer and then waited thirty to fifty years to resell them after those bikes were no longer available.
​​
Old 04-21-20, 11:10 AM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts

Get up earlier then the OP does to buy up all the bikes on CL. If you really want to put these OP all out of business including the ticket scalpers and bike peddlers buy all the bikes and all the tickets you can.... Then just give them all away. Problem solved... Nobody makin money...
Old 04-21-20, 11:33 AM
theDirtyLemon

Anyway, the counter-argument to the OP isn't "It's okay because this is a free market"--that's just economics-as-faux-morality BS which justifies nothing--it's that their complaint is unrealistic and inflammatory. The used bike market simply does not operate as described. The OP sounds slightly hysterical, frankly, and I wonder what happened to them to get 'em so worked up.
Old 04-21-20, 11:51 AM
mrMike88

Bikes: Spalding Blade Vintage 12-speed

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm going to respond as a slight tangent: I regularly browse Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist and OfferUp to see what's available and to see if there's something I Have To Have Today. So far I've managed to avoid buying anything but it keeps me aware of what's out there for my next bike. Recently (in the last month - go figure) I've noticed that the number of bikes is way down; obviously lots of people are filling in spare time in this gorgeous spring weather by getting some of these bikes and maybe even riding them around. (I've also seen about a 300% increase in bike traffic on the trails and near-empty streets in the Dallas area. ) I only hope that this trend continues (not the coronavirus trend, but the "let's go ride a bike" trend), because this area, while boasting lots of bike trails, could use a boatload more, and the more people riding on them the better.
Old 04-21-20, 12:10 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,491 Posts
taxman.

no problem as long as Uncle Sam is paid.

Old 04-21-20, 12:18 PM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by livedarklions
BS. Your freshman econ 101 is pretty rusty.

The information is readily available--bicycles are not complicated so information asymmetry isn't really a factor, and rent seeking is really not practical even in a small market as barriers to entry are low to non-existent. Anyone who wants to put in the time to do this can do so.

Those assumptions are of "perfect competition", BTW, not free markets, which just means that prices are set by supply and demand without authoritative regulation. Perfect competition is an idealized state as any economist will acknowledge.

The comparison to ticket resales is absurd. Tickets are a product where literally nothing can be done to change it that won't decrease the value. A lot of these guys are taking bikes that aren't functional or only marginally so, and taking the time and materials necessary to produce useable bikes. And even if they are not improving them, gathering them together so someone can look at many at a time might, by itself be a service people are willing to pay a little more for.
Nonsense. It is not readily available, especially if you look at your local ads and the prices are all inflated due to the effect OP is describing.

Stop kidding yourself, there is no such thing as a free market. If supply and demand were all that mattered, then people like OP is describing would not exist. They manipulate supply. The "free market" is an idealized state fetishized by materialistic, selfish narcissists.

Gathering them so people can compare many at a time? That is the best you can do for supposed value? Yea, alright then.
Old 04-21-20, 12:23 PM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by 308jerry
Get up earlier then the OP does to buy up all the bikes on CL. If you really want to put these OP all out of business including the ticket scalpers and bike peddlers buy all the bikes and all the tickets you can.... Then just give them all away. Problem solved... Nobody makin money...
I don't have a problem with people making that money per se. OP does. At the end of the day it is people's own fault if they allow this to happen.

I merely question this blind cry for "muh da free market". If you want the economy to work for society, you need to remove rent-seeking like is done here. Despite what the other dude may be claiming, no value is added here (OP is specifically talking about people who just buy and sell, not people who buy and repair/improve).
Old 04-21-20, 12:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Nonsense. It is not readily available, especially if you look at your local ads and the prices are all inflated due to the effect OP is describing.

Stop kidding yourself, there is no such thing as a free market. If supply and demand were all that mattered, then people like OP is describing would not exist. They manipulate supply. The "free market" is an idealized state fetishized by materialistic, selfish narcissists.

Gathering them so people can compare many at a time? That is the best you can do for supposed value? Yea, alright then.

Nice question begging you got there--if the prices are high, you say it's because of these people, rather than these people have been attracted to doing this because the prices of used bikes were high in that area to begin with.

You seriously believe that one can't learn most of what one needs to know about bicycles with a small amount of effort? That's ridiculous. Information asymmetries occur when the seller can know what's in the product and the buyer can't (or vice verse). This ain't that.

I don't think people like the OP are describing do exist--supply of junk bikes is always so high everywhere I've lived that the notion of manipulating this market is just ridiculous. There's usually a couple of bikes at just about any garage sale I ever see, for example.

And yeah, I bought a $100 bike from a guy who bought up junk bikes and fixed them up when I went to his house to look at a different bike he had on CL. It was very useful to have a range of choices there, saved me a lot of time in schlepping around to look at other bikes.

So are you proposing to make this practice illegal or are you just going to liquidate these nefarious rascals after the revolution?
Old 04-21-20, 12:46 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Most people don't ride bikes. For those who do - who knows how many the majority has? Check out the threads on this forum : How many bikes do you have? and look at the number of bikes people have listed in their signatures. If you think most bike owners only own ONE bike, just stop and consider how many different types of bikes there are: mountain bikes, road bikes, gravel bikes, commuter bikes, old steel bikes, modern carbon bikes, fixed gear/single speed bikes. We love bikes!

Last edited by Biketiger; 04-21-20 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 12:48 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

[QUOTE='02 nrs;21431321]no problem as long as Uncle Sam is paid.

Since ebay charges state sales tax on used bikes shipped from across the country - YOU ARE RIGHT!
Likes For Biketiger:
Old 04-21-20, 12:52 PM
Biketiger

Originally Posted by branko_76
Are you looking for "bikes" ?

Most people only need (or want) one bike.......Seems to me that anyone looking for "bikes" to buy, wants to resell them.
"Most people only want one bike." Not so for those who love bikes and use bikes regularly. Your signature lists three. Do you have any poles, surveys, any data at all to support this claim? You wouldn't be in that group including most forum members. Just check out the threads - How many bikes do you have? You'll be surprised.
Old 04-21-20, 12:58 PM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Nice question begging you got there--if the prices are high, you say it's because of these people, rather than these people have been attracted to doing this because the prices of used bikes were high in that area to begin with.

You seriously believe that one can't learn most of what one needs to know about bicycles with a small amount of effort? That's ridiculous. Information asymmetries occur when the seller can know what's in the product and the buyer can't (or vice verse). This ain't that.

I don't think people like the OP are describing do exist--supply of junk bikes is always so high everywhere I've lived that the notion of manipulating this market is just ridiculous. There's usually a couple of bikes at just about any garage sale I ever see, for example.

And yeah, I bought a $100 bike from a guy who bought up junk bikes and fixed them up when I went to his house to look at a different bike he had on CL. It was very useful to have a range of choices there, saved me a lot of time in schlepping around to look at other bikes.

So are you proposing to make this practice illegal or are you just going to liquidate these nefarious rascals after the revolution?
And that is your problem. You cannot argue making crucial assumptions (in this case that the OP is wrong). Either we take what OP has stated as given and debate it, or you straight up say "these people don't exist" and then that is your argument, and your only argument. And it would most likely be true.

And if OP is right and these people exist, one does not even need to go into if the market is competitive or not, because it most certainly is not efficient. Buyers tend to look at specific times (when they need a bike, when they have time). These people check every day. They are using time arbitrage and a market with arbitrage is not a good one.

You want to ridicule OP for believing such people exist and can have a large enough impact locally? Be my guest, but don't pretend this is some sort of "free market" outcome that should be celebrated.
Old 04-21-20, 01:05 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Since bikes are so cheap anyways it does not bother me. Simple enough to just buy brand new last years model bike at a discount.

Houses and cars though :/ Too many flippers. It's impossible to get a fixer up here in the Bay Area. For the price of fixer up and what a normal person ( not flipper, contractor ) it would cost more than just buying house that needs nothing.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 04-21-20, 01:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

They are using time arbitrage and a market with arbitrage is not a good one.
You completely backpedaled from your original argument (my reason for saying they can't exist was based on economics 101) so I'm not going to bother with it, but I can't get past what an absurd statement that is.

So, basically, no one anywhere should buy and sell used goods? Or does that apply to all goods? Are you going to eliminate all retail? All wholesale distribution? All commodities markets?
Old 04-21-20, 02:15 PM
theDirtyLemon

ZHVelo;
"Nonsense. . . . If supply and demand were all that mattered, then people like OP is describing would not exist. ...."

The people OP described DON'T exist.
If you want to discuss economic policy and the realities of commerce at a national level, then sure, you've got a point. But that would be a pretty weird direction to take this conversation about neighborhood second-hand bike sales.
​​​

Last edited by theDirtyLemon; 04-21-20 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 03:10 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
"Most people only want one bike." Not so for those who love bikes and use bikes regularly. Your signature lists three. Do you have any poles, surveys, any data at all to support this claim? You wouldn't be in that group including most forum members. Just check out the threads - How many bikes do you have? You'll be surprised.
I didn't say "most forum members", I said "most people", as in the general public.

Last edited by branko_76; 04-21-20 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 03:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I must be an extraordinary person. I've bought all my bikes from flippers, usually for around $200-$250. Heck, I bought from the same bike flipper twice, a year apart. I got a good deal. Presumably they made enough to cost their costs. Nothing to complain about.

It takes a certain temperament to enjoy buying and selling used items, along with the chattering, haggling and dickering over prices. Some folks don't enjoy that, so they're more likely to feel ripped off. For some of us it's more about the journey and opportunity to shoot the breeze.

Sure, it's nice to snag a real bargain occasionally. But I don't feel particularly good about paying too little for something a seller didn't recognize the value of. Especially if they burned their gas money and spent time cleaning it up or making sure it's safe and ready to ride.
I gotta say.. always intrigued by the word "dickering" and its roots.
Old 04-21-20, 05:04 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
I'm close to having a monopoly on the used bicycle market.

Likes For brian3069:
Old 04-21-20, 08:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
If you think used bikes are expensive you’d be crushed by the prices on new ones
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-21-20, 08:49 PM
Biketiger

Originally Posted by branko_76
I didn't say "most forum members", I said "most people", as in the general public.
Originally Posted by Biketiger View Post
"Most people only want one bike." Not so for those who love bikes and use bikes regularly...Do you have any poles, surveys, any data at all to support this claim?

I quoted you exactly Branko: SEE ABOVE and asked you for evidence to support your statement. How do you know how many bikes MOST PEOPLE OWN or WANT???

Last edited by Biketiger; 04-21-20 at 08:53 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.