Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A "Show Your MARUISHI Here!" thread- why not?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A "Show Your MARUISHI Here!" thread- why not?

Old 08-02-20, 04:51 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Not a compromise at all. Actually a very good idea, best of both worlds. So how good a friend is your friend with the trainer? Would she be willing to let you keep the Maruishi at her crib? Then you can ride your existing bike to/from and not have to worry about tires at all. Remind her of how cool it is to have a classic Japanese bike around the place, just to rest her eyes on. Okay, well maybe chocolate.
She had suggested I might keep it in her basement, especially in the winter. But, she already keeps the trainer at her place and I don't feel like it's fair to ask her to store my crap...

(I did get the handlebars up, by the way... not as high as I would like, but higher than they were, so there's that. Whacking the stem bolt did the trick. Part of it is that I'll just need to get used to that riding position. My regular bike is a hybrid, so it's a big difference. I don't want to keep hijacking this thread with maintenance stuff, though-- I'm going to have a ton of questions because I'm clueless-- so I'll switch to the "newbie questions" thread over in Road Cycling)
Old 08-02-20, 05:01 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
(I did get the handlebars up, by the way... not as high as I would like, but higher than they were, so there's that. Whacking the stem bolt did the trick. Part of it is that I'll just need to get used to that riding position. My regular bike is a hybrid, so it's a big difference. I don't want to keep hijacking this thread with maintenance stuff, though-- I'm going to have a ton of questions because I'm clueless-- so I'll switch to the "newbie questions" thread over in Road Cycling)
You could start your own thread here in C&V; the wrenchies here know a LOT about bikes of your vintage.

Good news about the stem. You did observe the limit line on it, right? And yes, drop bars are quite a different world, if your experience is mostly with uprights. Nice thing about the trainer is, you can sit up, exercise your back, etc., all without breaking cadence.
Old 08-02-20, 05:44 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Maruishi has/had a builder to supply a number of Keirin bikes. I have one. Solid workmanship. A case of win on Sunday, sell on Monday.
Old 08-02-20, 07:49 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
I don't want to keep hijacking this thread with maintenance stuff, though-- I'm going to have a ton of questions because I'm clueless-- so I'll switch to the "newbie questions" thread over in Road Cycling)
...probably not the best forum for such questions. Just sayin' . I don't want to say anything bad about the road forum, so I won't say anything at all about the road forum. Thumper's mom had some good advice there.
Old 08-03-20, 12:29 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
I worked with Omar at Oasis Custom Cycles in Phoenix, AZ to repaint my 1985 Maruishi Record (see above for original coral pink build). Once it was stripped down it became clear the 1985 frameset and the 1986 frameset are not the same (there's a link floating around among these forums to a review of the 1986 version)--the 1985 is definitely seamless double-butted 022, whereas the 1986 has been written up as seamed, quad-butted 022.

Anyway, Omar brazed on front and rear eyelets for racks/fenders, and painted it a metallic coffee brown that reminds me of the 1981 Trek 600s. Decals from velocals. Rebuilt it how I want to ride it (I've never been one for an 'authentic' rebuild--e.g., this now has a late 80s xt rear derailleur with a 12-32 cassette), and it'll be with me this Spring 2021 at Eroica California.

Old 08-15-20, 01:18 PM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
A Resplendent Electric Salmon Mount Ace 18 w/ matching Bullmoose Bars.
Old 08-15-20, 08:20 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
...and the Mountace I picked up last month.

Old 08-17-20, 02:24 AM
bikejunkie87

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would you have any information on a 1983-85 Maruishi Professional SPR? I have a pearl white 54 cm frame and fork I would like to try to restore. Most of the components that came with the bike are from 1983. Also have serial number. Any information would be great thanks.
Old 08-23-20, 12:01 PM
side.g

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

anyone knows how to decypher thw serial number?
Old 08-23-20, 01:14 PM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejunkie87
Would you have any information on a 1983-85 Maruishi Professional SPR? I have a pearl white 54 cm frame and fork I would like to try to restore. Most of the components that came with the bike are from 1983. Also have serial number. Any information would be great thanks.

From the 1984 brochure
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Old 10-23-20, 07:55 PM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

I've been working on a few projects these past few months. This one in particular began many years ago with Suntour components, as I had a boatload of hoarded Cyclone and Superbe bits.

When I received the frame/fork in 2006, the only indication of an assigned group to this model was a Dura Ace crown race with the date code KK (November '86). Shimano EF dropouts are date coded KG (July '86). It was an easy decision to go with the 7400 group.

Some of the parts I sourced from a fellow forum member, others from ebay.

"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Likes For LittleGinseng:
Old 10-25-20, 06:18 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleGinseng

From the 1984 brochure
Is there a site somewhere online that has the brochures? I'd love to be able to find out more about mine.
Old 10-25-20, 10:03 PM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Is there a site somewhere online that has the brochures? I'd love to be able to find out more about mine.
I've not seen anything online. The brochure I used to post the one pic is all I have. I too wish there was more info available.
Old 11-14-20, 02:50 PM
griffey

Bikes: GT Timberline Maruishi Roadace 7 Grandis Special

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Roadace 7

Mid to late eighties Maruishi Roadace 7 . Been in the family since new . Currently used as an indoor trainer. All original including tires, inner tubes replaced.

Old 07-20-21, 09:00 AM
5010c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First road bike purchase!

Just recently picked up a road bike for the first time. Been riding on MTBs for the better part of my life, realized none of my friends were into it and would rather ride road, so found a used Maruishi 'aerolite' for sale.
unfortunately, I could not find any information on it online, and I also cannot post pictures here for you all to see.

Any information you all have regarding the 'Aerolite' would be greatly appreciated.
I assume all components on the bike are original, and came with the following:
- Shimano 105 groupset
- Shimano Biopace oval chainring 2x
- Laprade seatpost
- Black Nitto quill stem
Old 07-20-21, 09:31 AM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by 5010c
Just recently picked up a road bike for the first time. Been riding on MTBs for the better part of my life, realized none of my friends were into it and would rather ride road, so found a used Maruishi 'aerolite' for sale.
unfortunately, I could not find any information on it online, and I also cannot post pictures here for you all to see.

Any information you all have regarding the 'Aerolite' would be greatly appreciated.
I assume all components on the bike are original, and came with the following:
- Shimano 105 groupset
- Shimano Biopace oval chainring 2x
- Laprade seatpost
- Black Nitto quill stem
Sounds like a very decent ride. You can get around the newbie photo block by uploading photos onto your album, and then someone can do a picture assist.
Old 07-20-21, 11:09 AM
5010c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you sir, was able to upload 1 photo onto my album called '5010c Album'.
Old 07-20-21, 09:25 PM
jingy2

Bikes: 1996 Rivendell All-Rounder, 2000 Chris Kvale, 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-11 Corsa Extra, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr, Rivendell Roadini, 86 Mercian Vincitore, 85 Vitus 979, 89 Vitus Carbone 9, 83 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 79 Motobecane Grand Touring,2022 Corvus Rhino

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by OutnBack
A Resplendent Electric Salmon Mount Ace 18 w/ matching Bullmoose Bars.
This color was called "Metallic Rose". I had one that I bought from the shop I worked at in 1986(pretty sure). I used to race it back then!
The shop I worked at as a teen in the mid-late 80's sold Maruishi and Motobecane. I always tried to grab a Maruishi when it was time to build the next bike. The Motobecanes were absolute crap! We all hated assembling them because it took so long to get them working halfway decent.
The Maruishi bikes went together so easily and quickly. Never found any empty cigarette packs thrown in the box with the bikes from Maruishi!
Jim in Mpls
Old 09-05-22, 12:54 AM
Kanat

Bikes: Maruishi Roadace

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello my friends) Maruishi Roadace before/after some upgrade. I bought this bike a month ago. I would like to know more about this model, may be you know: year of manufacture, riding style, why three oval chainrings in front, and something else interesting. Thanks) Photo in my albums in profile.
Old 09-05-22, 08:14 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Kanat
Hello my friends) Maruishi Roadace before/after some upgrade. I bought this bike a month ago. I would like to know more about this model, may be you know: year of manufacture, riding style, why three oval chainrings in front, and something else interesting. Thanks) Photo in my albums in profile.
Welcome to the forum. This is a very interesting bicycle. The serial number indcates 1977 or 1987 manufacture and late enough in the year that it could be a 1978 or 1988 model. The derailleur cable routing over the bottom bracket shell would be more typical of 1977/1978 but the logo style, presence of a set of bottle bosses and areo triple crankset point towards the latter.

The bicycle would appear to be an Asian market model based on the lamp bracket mounted on the right fork blade and the fork crown mounts for the front rack. As for its intended purpose, the fenders, rack and lighting system mounts suggest it's a city bicycle, intended for commuting, running errands and light exercise, primarily in urban regions, while the components are indicative of an entry level model.

I'm not sure if the handlebars and saddle are original. Brake safety levers had largely fallen out of use by this time and it was more common to see this style of bicycle with flat handleabrs and less racy saddle, at least in North America

Most interesting to me is the Light Action Positron derailleur system. To the best of my knowledge, we never saw these in North America. Shimano introduced Light Action for the 1984 model year but I thought Positron was replaced by SIS in the late 1980s, with Light Action receiving SIS as early as 1986. Yet the rear derailleur has a blind P-pivot, which Shimano didn't introduce on other derailleurs until 1987. To this end, I'd be very interested in knowing the derailleur date codes, which should be located on the back of inside parellogram arm for the rear derailleur and the back of the inside cage plate for the front derailleur. The format is a double letter (see attached example). Selected photo assist...

Old 09-05-22, 04:25 PM
Kanat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Welcome to the forum. This is a very interesting bicycle....
Thank you very much for the detailed answer. It is very interesting to learn such details about the bike I'll take photos of the derailleurs.
Old 09-06-22, 04:11 PM
Kanat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Welcome to the forum. This is a very interesting bicycle....
Hello)
I found the names and codes on front derailleur: FD-NP41 LK SHIMANO JAPAN VIA and rear derailleur: RD-NP41 L SHIMANO JAPAN VIA.
I don't know why i can't add photo in my album.
Old 09-06-22, 09:39 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 966 Times in 483 Posts
Hello)
I found the names and codes on front derailleur: FD-NP41 LK SHIMANO JAPAN VIA and rear derailleur: RD-NP41 L SHIMANO JAPAN VIA.
You won't be able to add photos until you hit a certain number of posts.

The date code LK confirms 1987 over 1977, just as T-mar surmised. Late '87, so possibly even a 1988 model.
Old 09-06-22, 10:44 PM
Kanat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
You won't be able to add photos until you hit a certain number of posts.

The date code LK confirms 1987 over 1977, just as T-mar surmised. Late '87, so possibly even a 1988 model.
Oh, it's great, thank you so much for information, i am very glad
Old 09-07-22, 01:53 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Hello)

Thank-you for taking the time to check the date codes. While the date code for the rear derailleur is missing a character, the front derailleur was manufactured in November 1987. The timeframe corresponds with the serial number and confirms that it is almost certainly a 1988 model year bicycle that was manufactured in very late 1987.

I did manage to find an instruction sheet for these NP-41 derailleurs with an October 1986 date, so they appear to have been introduced for the 1987 model year, which is consistent with blind P-pivot feature. The instructions are printed in Japanese, supporting the possibility that they may have been available only in the Japanese and surrounding markets, and explaining why they are not included in the American market catalogues of the era. It's enlightening to know that Shimano continued to offer Positron after the introduction of SIS. It would appear that Positron had a much better acceptance in some markets outside North America, where its reputation is poor, though I personally found it to perform as claimed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.