Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Should I upgrade my brakes?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-05-17, 11:03 AM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Hi there! I'm repairing a 1979 japanese Jupiter King bike, and would like to know if I should replace the brake calipers.

They are Dia-Compe Cherry center pull brakes, and after a thorough cleaning and lubing, they are smooth as silk. One cool discovery I made is that this bike has a "quick release" lever on each brake. That feature should make wheel removal as easy as with any modern side pull caliper, so my main concern is about the power.

I've read that modern dual-pivot brakes have more stopping power. But I have also read that center pull brakes have better modulation and that they can be very powerful as well. What are your experiences about this topic? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GEDC5841.jpg (97.4 KB, 323 views)
GEDC5842.jpg (99.0 KB, 320 views)
Old 01-05-17, 11:11 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
For that bike, I would not spend the money on new brakes. Centerpulls if set up well can provide very good braking. I would definitely replace the pads. Kool Stop Continental pads are great and will work with those calipers, but they're a little pricey.
Old 01-05-17, 11:13 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Try these brake pads, they're real grabby. Looks like yours are old, anyway.

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...u5DxoCJV3w_wcB
Old 01-05-17, 11:14 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
I have excellent memory but very short! There was a recent thread discussing brakes in general, or not. there was a discussion on this topic. Center pulls are dual pivot brakes. What may have changed over time is the mechanical leverage at the brake lever. Hopefully someone will chime in with better memory than mine and give you a more definitive answer.

The only reason to "upgrade" would be if you can't stop effectively, but then it would be the pads and not the brake calipers.
Old 01-05-17, 11:15 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think it's mostly a matter of what you want from your brakes. Those will stop you as well as dual pivot calipers, you just need to squeeze the levers harder. IMO the modulation is a matter of practice. Dual pivots require a lighter touch, but the flip side of that is that they start slowing you down with just a little lever pressure. New Kool Stop salmon pads will make the brakes you have a bit better. To get the full benefit from dual pivots calipers you'd want different levers than I suspect are on that bike and you can lose the vintage look very quickly.
Old 01-05-17, 11:16 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I agree, changing the calipers would be a considerable hassle and expense, with a marginal improvement. Changing the brake pads would be easy and might help a lot.

What rims are on the bike? If it has steel rims, then upgrading to aluminum would greatly improve the braking, as well as making the bike lighter and more fun to ride.
Old 01-05-17, 02:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 1,426 Posts
I have experience with those brakes. They are horrible. Replacing them will almost surely be an improvement.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-05-17, 03:05 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
not tough to find a used set of Weinmann 610s on ebay for $15.
Old 01-08-17, 08:20 AM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you all, I'll be changing the pads since they are the originals and are hard as a rock. The good old sandpaper trick just reveals more dried-up rubber!

While I'd like to keep it looking vintage, the original brake levers are a mess; so I bought new ones. I wanted to install integrated brake/shifter levers but decided to stay way from that, at least for now. The priority is to put the bicycle on the road ASAP. Improvements will have to wait.

And yes, I bought aluminum wheels and hubs. Great improvement!
Old 01-08-17, 08:32 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One thing you DO need to do is this: cut the brake cable to length, ferchissakes!!! Also, put a ferrule on the end (or else tin the ends). All that excess cable looks awful!
Old 01-08-17, 09:13 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by curbowman
Thank you all, I'll be changing the pads since they are the originals and are hard as a rock. The good old sandpaper trick just reveals more dried-up rubber!

While I'd like to keep it looking vintage, the original brake levers are a mess; so I bought new ones. I wanted to install integrated brake/shifter levers but decided to stay way from that, at least for now. The priority is to put the bicycle on the road ASAP. Improvements will have to wait.

And yes, I bought aluminum wheels and hubs. Great improvement!
Putting brifters is a can of worms you probably don't want to open on this low end bike. You'd need the brifters, new cables, new front and rear derailleurs, new rear hub (or whole new wheel), a new cassette, and new cables. Then the new hub / wheel probably won't fit in the frame, so you will need to cold set it. This involves slightly bending the frame so it accepts the hub width, and then you need to realign the dropouts. This is a big job for a very basic bike like this. My suggestion is if you want to go that route, do it on a much nicer bike.
Old 01-08-17, 09:49 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
One thing you DO need to do is this: cut the brake cable to length, ferchissakes!!! Also, put a ferrule on the end (or else tin the ends). All that excess cable looks awful!
End cap? It has ferrules.
Old 01-08-17, 09:55 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
These brakes are not my favorites but with extra effort can be tolerable.
The trick is to have them smooth functioning with no play in the pivots.
Not easy.
Yes, new brake blocks which now equates to new pads and holders.
Address the cable runs, there should be a smooth and fair cable run, in one image the rear brake adjuster/ quick release is presenting a kink to the cable run, rotate it to have a straight run to the caliper cable yoke.
Small incremental things will all make improvements to performance.
New Tekro dual pivots would function so much better but, not a sound investment on this bike.
Old 01-08-17, 09:57 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I put some old Suntour Superbe single pivot brakes on my 1983 Specialized Sequoia, which what originally was spec'd with the bike, and they stop great. I also put Kool Stop salmon pads on the calipers, and that helps. You can find old Suntour brakes on eBay pretty easily but make sure you get the correct reach.
Old 01-10-17, 03:03 PM
curbowman

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd like to make clear that the outdoor pictures of the bike were taken the day I got the bike. There are lots of things made wrong in there, but as I said, I'm innocent!!!
Old 01-10-17, 04:03 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
I like @bulldog1935's suggestion, but putting new pads on the existing brakes first will get your bike on the road faster. New pads can create a dramatic improvement. If you still feel that the brakes are lacking after you ride it for a while (or just want to indulge some upgraditis), buy the cheap Weinmanns since they are better quality than what you have and super cheap. You can even transfer the new pads over to the Weinmanns.

Also! Post a full driveside pic of the bike! I haven't heard of this brand before. Pinarellos and Colnagos are obvious rehab candidates and pop up plenty often around here, but I love to see people showing these love. I think you can have just as much fun with something like this. Plus, I like the colors!
Old 01-11-17, 07:07 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
not tough to find a used set of weinmann 610s on ebay for $15.
+1.
Old 01-11-17, 07:21 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
New brakes will provide better modulation. However, you can make a dramatic improvement in the modulation of the old brakes by installing new cables with Teflon lined housings. As suggested by others, new brakes will make a drastic improvement in stopping power. The Jupiter King is not a bicycle that I would sink a lot of money into. It's probably closer to 1970 than 1979.
Old 01-11-17, 07:47 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
I suspect you'll be happy with the brakes you have, once you install new Kool Stop pads and Teflon-lined cable housings as suggested. And yes, please post more pics! Looks like an interesting bike.
Old 01-11-17, 03:36 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by curbowman
Hi there! I'm repairing a 1979 japanese Jupiter King bike, and would like to know if I should replace the brake calipers.

They are Dia-Compe Cherry center pull brakes, and after a thorough cleaning and lubing, they are smooth as silk. One cool discovery I made is that this bike has a "quick release" lever on each brake. That feature should make wheel removal as easy as with any modern side pull caliper, so my main concern is about the power.

I've read that modern dual-pivot brakes have more stopping power. But I have also read that center pull brakes have better modulation and that they can be very powerful as well. What are your experiences about this topic? Thanks.
Use what brakes you have but absolutely trash those pad inserts. Kool Stop salmon inserts will suffice. A 4 dot pad is good.

Next, it appears one brake is aluminum and the other steel. The steel arms will flex more than the aluminum type. Majority of the stopping power is done at the front so install the more rigid / hence powerful aluminum up front. While at it, properly mount them with attention to the center bolt not to have sloppy movement under braking. Should have radius washer / spacers etc..

During the usual and proper setup, pay attention in keeping the arm bushings to a very close tolerance, but not binding tight. Obviously and also set a proper toe-in direction for the pads. With the wheels trued, set the pads close as possible. If you wank a rim out while riding, then flip the release lever just slightly to allow enough clearance.

Lastly, evaluate your cables and setup. Significantly can affect brake operation and power.
Old 01-14-17, 11:25 AM
curbowman

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
[it appears one brake is aluminum and the other steel.[/QUOTE]

They are both steel. But one is shown as it was when I got the bike and the other is already cleaned up. Kind of a "before/after" picture to show how dirty they were.

I couldn't get Teflon lined cables, but I already bought new brake & shifter cables with their housings. I also bought new brake levers.

I'm pretty sure the bicycle is from 1978 because both the brake levers say "01-78" and in the handlebar it reads "E-78", so that shuld mean January and May 1978 respectively.

The shifters and derailers are Suntour. Funny how the front derailer says Suntour SPIRT instead of SPIRIT. I thought about installing STI brifters, but then I realized the entire group might cost more than the bike itself, so I'll ride her a while before doing that big investment.

And yes, the color scheme is stunning. It doesn't shine, though, but I haven't cleaned it either. The good part is that after dismantling it I found no corrosion at all!
Attached Images
GEDC5801.jpg (92.4 KB, 92 views)
GEDC5829.jpg (94.2 KB, 92 views)
GEDC5820.jpg (95.6 KB, 91 views)
GEDC5783.jpg (98.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 01-15-17, 08:11 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
There is no magic in a bicycle braking system. The variables are caliper leverage, handle leverage, pad-to-rim coefficient of friction, mechanical losses such as cable-to-housing friction or pivot drag, pad toe-in, cable housing compression, slop in the caliper pivots, and flex in the caliper arms. The others have already provided excellent advice on brake pads and cable housing, as well as stepping up to a higher-quality caliper (Weinmann Vainqueur 999 in either 610 or 750 length, or the DiaCompe equivalent). If you want to boost your braking force by another 10 to 15 percent and can accommodate the 10 to 15 percent longer lever travel that comes with the territory (No Free Lunch), switch to aero brake handles. My Bianchi has the often-excoriated early-generation Campag. sidepulls, which provided unsafely lousy braking when equipped with non-aero levers and Shimano pads. Changing to Shimano aero levers (sorry, Italian purists, but they fit my hands) and KoolStop salmon pads made a huge difference in safety.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-15-17, 08:30 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Try these brake pads, they're real grabby. Looks like yours are old, anyway.

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...u5DxoCJV3w_wcB
Hey Lazy... do you have experience with these brake shoes? I'm always looking for cheap good bike replacement parts. I'm not really sold on the local bike shops cheap brake shoes; they're okay, and seem to be an improvement over 20+ year old dried out ones, but not significantly.
Old 01-15-17, 09:12 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
Hey Lazy... do you have experience with these brake shoes? I'm always looking for cheap good bike replacement parts. I'm not really sold on the local bike shops cheap brake shoes; they're okay, and seem to be an improvement over 20+ year old dried out ones, but not significantly.
I have them on one of my bikes.
Old 01-15-17, 11:15 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
In the days of my youth, when I was shopping for my first real road bike I settled on a nice brand new 1972 Peugeot PX-10. It came equipped with center pull brakes. Back then, center pull brakes were considered superior to side pull brakes. At some point along the line by around 1979 or 80 center pull brakes disappeared completely. I always wondered what was up with that.