Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Broken Left Side Shimano Shifter/Brake

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-07-20, 06:52 PM
danallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

My son broke something inside the left-side shifter. He has a Trek 2200 aluminum bike he bought used a few years ago. I was not with him when it happened. He was having trouble moving the front derailler toward the large chain ring, so he tried forcing it by putting a lot of pressure on the lever and something inside gave way. I am guessing the cable got out of the cable guide under the bottom bracket causing the problem with moving the derailler.

So, I am shopping for a used shifter to replace the broken one. In the course of this shopping, I have developed a few questions.

What is a "Shift/Brake Lever Assembly" offered by Shimano. I cannot tell whether in includes the complicated innards of the shifter or if it is only a housing. You can see the thing I am asking about at this link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-105...5.c10#viTabs_0

Is it feasible to repair the type of damage this would have caused to the shifter?

Any information you can provide will be appreciated immensely.

Thank you.
Old 08-08-20, 12:00 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
The cable was probably worn and frayed, and forcing it snapped the cable or jammed it from the frayed ends. Chances are high that all that's needed is a new cable. Disconnect it from the derailleur, untape the bars, and remove the shifter. Remove the old cable, including any bits and pieces that might be jamming it up. This is all very simple stuff - it'll be obvious how it works when you look at it a bit.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 08-08-20, 09:26 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
It is probably the cable. Is the cable loose on the downtube? You can likely just pull it out if it has snapped at the shifter.

Otherwise what you linked to probably isn't the part you need, and probably won't even fit your particular series of 105 shifter.
Old 08-11-20, 10:56 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Chances are 10-1 it is the cable but if the shifter is broken it is not repairable. Getting the broken bits out and you need to get all of them can be a challenge. If you have a stand to rotate the bike that helps.
Old 08-12-20, 07:05 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
My son broke something inside the left-side shifter. He has a Trek 2200 aluminum bike he bought used a few years ago. I was not with him when it happened. He was having trouble moving the front derailler toward the large chain ring, so he tried forcing it by putting a lot of pressure on the lever and something inside gave way. I am guessing the cable got out of the cable guide under the bottom bracket causing the problem with moving the derailler.

So, I am shopping for a used shifter to replace the broken one. In the course of this shopping, I have developed a few questions.

What is a "Shift/Brake Lever Assembly" offered by Shimano. I cannot tell whether in includes the complicated innards of the shifter or if it is only a housing. You can see the thing I am asking about at this link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-105...5.c10#viTabs_0

Is it feasible to repair the type of damage this would have caused to the shifter?

Any information you can provide will be appreciated immensely.

Thank you.
I am not sure of the length of the warranty for Shimano. For Campy it is 5 years. Find an authorized Shimano service center and contact them/bring them the bike. You might just end up paying for labor.
Old 08-12-20, 07:17 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8256 Post(s)
Liked 8,967 Times in 4,450 Posts
If it's just the cable you don't need to remove the shifter to replace it. If the shifter is broken you can't fix it. If you want to replace the shifter first figure out what series it is. The one you linked is 5800. Yours is probably older but since you got the bike used it could be anything. How many speeds is the rear?