Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Dented tube

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Dented tube

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 04:28 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Dented tube

I have here a rather nice looking Erickson frame with S&S couplers (!) and a nice sized dent in the top tube.. cool thing is the dent is smooth, paint didn't even crack. The frame seems well-aligned despite the ding. I have about 5 frames needing repair, this one will hopefully be an easy fix, by me... at least one the others will seek professional help, some will just "be") To fix the ding I have the ability to get inside the tube, since as I mentioned, the frame is equipped with S&S couplers. I am now wondering if i cant just 'send' some kind of expanding device inside the frame whilst compressing the outside tube with a hose clamp something like a "SHAW_PLUG" *. But the shaw plug would have to be the perfect size (and maybe NOT made of rubber?) a regular two piece expansion anchor might work as well ...It will also have to be remotely operated since th' ding and the frame 'opening are at opposite ends of the tube.. Is this one of my frames who should visit an expert? It is really a very nice-quality- built-thing.

* https://www.grainger.com/product/14M...!471564520201!

Last edited by kraftwerk; 09-15-20 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 05:37 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Something like the expander wedge on a quill stem might be able to do it. 1" diameter top tube? If the dent is close enough to the coupler opening for the wedge to reach the dent, a quill stem might be sufficient. If it's further away, you'd likely have to fabricate your own tool.
Old 08-17-20, 05:46 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I've seen someone fix a dent in a headtube with a quill stem as the expander. I don't know how much space a S&S allows into the tube but , in theory, if you can get inside you could push out a dent.
Old 08-17-20, 07:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
don't s&s have a flange that would keep something full diameter from going in there? Been a while since I had my travel bike apart

I made a tool the size of a 27.2 seat tube that has a wedge like on a quill stem. Wouldn't be hard to make one for 1"
Old 08-17-20, 08:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The few S&S that I have in hand (and brazed up) have an access hole about .7 of the tube's OD (this derived from a 1.125" lugless set and about what I remember from the lugged versions i have done). Sp the plug's expansion would need to be about 150% (likely more due to spring back). Additionally the plug would ideally want to be slightly convex or bulged at it's center to focus the pressure at the dent's center and produce lessening expanding force towards the dent's ends. A ball shaped plug could result in localized out dents if not careful and a flat plug would result in a shallow dent still present. I don't think any of the stem style expander plugs would work here. I'll add that the plug would also need to have a long flay "half" so to not bulge out the undented portion of the area. Andy
Old 08-17-20, 10:54 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
I'm not optimistic about your chances of getting an expander in there. The regular method of squeezing it in metal (not wood) tube blocks from the outside may be worth trying, if you don't mind losing the paint. But unless it's bad, I'd just leave it alone. Any Erickson is a precious thing -- and they aren't making any more of them! One with S&S couplers even more so. Don't risk making it worse.

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 08-19-20, 10:48 AM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. You guys are great and give me a lot to think about.

Last edited by kraftwerk; 08-19-20 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-21-20, 07:06 AM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 113 Posts
Is there a vent hole at the end of the tube? Could you mesure the opening in the S&S coupler, go to the craft store get a wooden ball or barrel that close to the Id of the coupler or you can sand slightly to fit? Drill a hole through the ball, thread a mountain bike brake cable through ball each way.. Thread the cable through the coupler and out through the vent hole pull the ball doun past the dent. Get a piese of copper tubing as close to the Id of the coupler as you can. Cut two slots 90 degrees fron eash other like you are making a tool to remove a headset cup. spread the ends, thread brake cable ,insert into the tube past the dent. pull the ball into the copper tube. pull the copper tube with the ball in it past the dent pushing it out. Don't know if you can make this work, but I have a Dent in a down tube I am going to pull the ball up the tube to try ond push it out. Good luck with your dent
Old 08-21-20, 12:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Lets see if the search function gets "snarling Iron"

there we go.. bang down on the outside part with a hammer, and the inside end bangs up.
Old 08-24-20, 12:44 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
I've seen someone fix a dent in a headtube with a quill stem as the expander. I don't know how much space a S&S allows into the tube but , in theory, if you can get inside you could push out a dent.
Can you please explain as clearly as possible, what that person used, and what steps they took to fix the dent in the head tube. I have a bicycle that received two small dents in the head tube, from insufficient packaging when it came over from Europe... Thanks!!!
*(Columbus) Head tubes are made of pretty sturdy stuff...

Last edited by Last ride 76; 08-24-20 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-24-20, 08:06 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Can you please explain as clearly as possible, what that person used, and what steps they took to fix the dent in the head tube. I have a bicycle that received two small dents in the head tube, from insufficient packaging when it came over from Europe... Thanks!!!
*(Columbus) Head tubes are made of pretty sturdy stuff...
Is your dent on the end of the head tube or somewhere in between? If it is on the end, canes can be squeezed together to help round the end of the head tube again. If it is in the middle, than an expander of some kind might work. Adding to these suggestions for expanding tools are lug vises. Usually the base diameter of the expandable part of the lug vise is 1". And then various sizes of sleeves are slipped over the vise to fit whatever inside ø is required. This might involve turing a sleeve on a lathe to get just the right fit.
Old 08-24-20, 01:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It would be nice to have a tool to expando a head tube that has been dropped. I did that to a frame sitting in the shop and it's amazing how bad the dent was. I wonder if an exhaust pipe expander can be used
Old 08-24-20, 08:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Why are we talking about a head tube dent? "I have here a rather nice looking Erickson frame with S&S couplers (!) and a nice sized dent in the top tube" This is the first sentence in this thread... A headtube dent is quite a different thing then a toptube one. Andy
Old 08-25-20, 07:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Why are we talking about a head tube dent?
This is why​​​​​​
I'll post a picture of my dent removing quill tool later. I suppose the same type tool could be made for a head tube.
Old 08-25-20, 10:14 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Why are we talking about a head tube dent? "I have here a rather nice looking Erickson frame with S&S couplers (!) and a nice sized dent in the top tube" This is the first sentence in this thread... A headtube dent is quite a different thing then a toptube one. Andy
True. I'll separate. Hijack unintended...
Old 08-25-20, 06:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

True. I'll separate. Hijack unintended...
No need. My "complaint" was my fault for missing the added HT dent question post.

Eric- thanks for getting me straight. Andy