Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Upgrade or scrap this old Dorado 1000

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 12:46 PM
Hhallford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have an old Dorado 1000. Probably from the mid 80s. It currently has a 3X crank and a 6 speed cassette. Shimano shifters and derailleurs. Has old Lee Chi direct pull cantilever brakes.

I ride ten to twenty miles a day solely for the exercise. All my riding thus far is on pavement.

I am considering swapping out all the components to make it more functional, because the shifting is awful. Can anyone recommend a group set that would come in somewhere in the neighborhood of $500?

Or should I just use that same cash and get a whole new bike?
Old 09-08-20, 01:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
It's all a matter of personal preference. So you'll get a lot of us telling you different things.

I don't know what your bike is. But I used to upgrade old road frames with new components. I wound up with a bike that was a little more enjoyable to ride, but still weighed about the same as before.

When I got a new bike, it was lighter than the bikes I'd been riding. It made a lot of hills disappear and I am riding more and further at a time.

Over all, I feel that I enjoy the new bike more than I ever did the other two old bikes I upgraded. Although the two old bikes are more pleasing to my eye. I like the way old steel bikes look.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-08-20 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-08-20, 02:05 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-any-info.html
Old 09-08-20, 03:18 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I would suggest recabling the shift system (brakes, too), clean and lube the derailleurs and reevaluate. New brake shoes. New cables and housings can often make a remarkable improvement in performance.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 09-09-20, 09:15 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
I would clean the chain and derailleurs throughout, test out. If all is well I'd service all the bearings. Sometimes, for the brakes, just a drop of oil at the brake lever another drop on the pivots, could liven the useage.
Old 09-10-20, 08:04 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
'Upgrading' would be a waste of money and effort. Figure out what the problem is with the shifting and fix it, then put some nice new tires and handlebar grips on and ride the poop out of it.

$500 can sometimes buy a whole lot of bike on the 2nd hand market,
Old 09-10-20, 08:12 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
if you want something that rides and handles like a modern bike, you're not going to get that out of a bike that old. I'd either ride it for what it is, maybe change a few parts if that helps it to fit better and replace anything that needs to be replaced to function. it probably will ride great with a little love, but you have to adjust expectations.

otherwise—sell it. bikes like that could fetch a decent price these days.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 09-10-20 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-10-20, 08:16 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by Hhallford
Or should I just use that same cash and get a whole new bike?
Another vote for just getting a new bike. Probably cheaper and FAR fewer headaches than trying to match new parts to an old frame that will need to have the rear dropouts spread for newer hub spacing plus a few other bits to adapt newer parts. Your Dorado is not a bad bike from the looks of it but you're not happy with it so a another good excuse for a new ride and sell the old one.
Old 09-10-20, 08:20 AM
Hhallford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Worked it out

I ended up basically just tuning it up. Cleaned everything, tinkered with the rear derailleur till it functioned, oiled the chain.
Now it shift like it should, rides pretty well. Not the fastest thing around but definitely does what I need it to do for now.
Thanks everyone for the advice!
Likes For Hhallford: