Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Busted Campy Nouvo Record Shifter - Pooey Stinko!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-29-20, 01:27 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts

More than once I have seen this and today I created this. How do I prevent this from happening..?

The shifter set was used and had been installed before. You (meaning me) could see cracks in the chrome at the narrowest part of the clamp, on both sides. I was aware of this and exercised great caution spreading the clamp so as to not scratch the new paint/art on my Rabeneick "Modell Campagnolo", which is just about done...

The busted clamp brings a halt to the build. My question is - How do you guys spread the clamp, any clamp for that matter, when installing or removing clamp on components?
Old 09-29-20, 02:10 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
When the band is opened up to accept the tube is must be treased open uniformly. Most don't do that and allow it to bend at the narrow point. Later bands with the chrome backing plates were a bit thicker material too.
save the old shifter. long ago we drilled out the backside rivet, gathered the useful parts, added the Campagnolo braze on compression washer and employed them on frames with braze on mounts.
For a while, the complete banded shifters were less expensive than the other attachment kit.
Old 09-29-20, 03:44 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I like to wrap the tube with heavy paper maybe tape and then I don't need to be as careful.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-29-20, 04:19 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
I like to wrap the tube with heavy paper maybe tape and then I don't need to be as careful.
That's a good idea. Sadly, in the case of the piece I was using, I think it had just reached it life span. However, I will use the idea, with the new shifter set (when I get the set) and with the cable guide for the Grand Sport derailleurs...
Old 09-29-20, 04:22 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-w-skewer.html
Old 09-29-20, 04:24 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Nice idea. Never ever thought of doing that (just for removal and installation). You wouldn't need to open the clamp as much. Even a dollar bill would probably work.