Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help ID frame- 60s? French? Gitane?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-29-17, 12:35 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts

I have a bit of a riddle here, and would welcome some help solving it. Metric sized tubing but English threaded BB shell. Reynolds 531 butted main tubes (they are marked as such- I don't know how to tell if the stays are 531), but stamped dropouts. Not a single braze-on except the shifter stop, which is a pentagon shape like a Gitane but is on top of the down tube. The seat stay caps are similar to some low-end Gitanes but are really long and have a bit of wrap around at the top. The lugs are Bocama and I think the shell also. Head tube lugs are 75/58 degree and seat lug is 75 degree. "62" stamped on left dropout which may just be frame size. Only other marking is a SSN stamped on the shell (thanks @gugie for enlightening me on that practice). The frame had been repainted at least once. I just stripped the frame, which is evident in the pics .

The bike came with a 90s vintage aftermarket fork and newer stem and handlebar so no help there. Other parts on the bike when I got it (FWIW): 27" Maillard/Weinmann rear, Stronglight 49D, Brooks, Suntour.

Old 05-29-17, 03:48 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
How much does it weigh?
Old 05-29-17, 07:06 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Looks like a Motobecane.
Old 05-29-17, 09:21 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
I have a bit of a riddle here, and would welcome some help solving it. Metric sized tubing but English threaded BB shell. Reynolds 531 butted main tubes (they are marked as such- I don't know how to tell if the stays are 531), but stamped dropouts. Not a single braze-on except the shifter stop, which is a pentagon shape like a Gitane but is on top of the down tube. The seat stay caps are similar to some low-end Gitanes but are really long and have a bit of wrap around at the top. The lugs are Bocama and I think the shell also. Head tube lugs are 75/58 degree and seat lug is 75 degree. "62" stamped on left dropout which may just be frame size. Only other marking is a SSN stamped on the shell (thanks @gugie for enlightening me on that practice). The frame had been repainted at least once. I just stripped the frame, which is evident in the pics .
Good riddle to ponder. It's undoubtedly French, but the English BB is a puzzler. I've heard of a small group of French monks who built wonderful frames in very small batches, your description matches it to a T. No one really knows what happened to them. Rumor is they fled France to Switzerland during WWII, and their order started up production again not long ago. I happened to find one interweb pic that might give us another clue: