Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Need help on bar tape color

Old 03-07-20, 11:49 AM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
Need help on bar tape color

Can't post pics yet, but if you google Benjamin’s 1970s Mercier 300 that is the same bike I have. What goes with a baby blue frame? Help me pick a cool color and I will be your friend.

EDIT: Just realized I put this question in a **** location. Apologies to the appraisal people.

Last edited by Paint Job Steve; 03-07-20 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-07-20, 01:28 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Red to match the washers on the brakes. Or black cotton finished with red, white, and blue twine.

Here's black finished with black and white so you can see what I mean.

Old 03-07-20, 01:35 PM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've got a duplicate thread in Classic & Vintage and red is the popular suggestion so going red.
Old 03-09-20, 08:40 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
I would agree with going with red on nicer bar tap with a quality build going with color contrasting tape and colored or white cables adds a nice touch.
Old 03-10-20, 05:27 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Given the black lugs, I would probably just match them. Red would be too much contrast for me, given the lack of red on the bicycle, other than the small amount on the head badge. If I wanted a bit more colour, I'd go with something from the same colour palette, like a royal blue. BTW, the bicycle you referenced is not a Mercier 300. Selective picture assist....
Old 03-10-20, 06:27 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I'd go with black. Interestingly, the tape that is on the bike pictured above is the exact tape I have on one of my fixed-gear bikes. It was put there by the previous owner, and at first I didn't care for it, but it really grew on me. And it is the only bar tape that two of my daughters have ever complimented me on. So go figure.
Old 03-10-20, 07:13 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
white with white seat is my vote for a baby blue frame -- even with black lugs
Old 03-10-20, 10:02 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Black. Replace the splatter tape in the photo above with black. Your legacy will thank me.
Old 03-10-20, 09:11 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Black. Replace the splatter tape in the photo above with black. Your legacy will thank me.
Black bar tape is boring, it's like taking the easy way out.

I would go with dark blue Fizik tape with matching cables.
Old 03-12-20, 12:20 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Black bar tape is boring, it's like taking the easy way out.
Yup, that is, pretty much true except for the boring part. My opinion, of course but black seems to work well for me. You decide black and it becomes almost invisible, allowing you and others to see the whole bicycle first, then seek out details...

Or flashy, gaudy, or what ever you want to call bright colors drawing attention to themselves and away from the overall image of the complete bicycle...

Please don't get me wrong. I am in favor of bling, now and again, having a great love for chrome lugs, stays and for ends but do you see those first, or at all at first, or are your eyes drawn to the red bar tape..?
Old 03-12-20, 04:54 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Yup, that is, pretty much true except for the boring part. My opinion, of course but black seems to work well for me. You decide black and it becomes almost invisible, allowing you and others to see the whole bicycle first, then seek out details...

Or flashy, gaudy, or what ever you want to call bright colors drawing attention to themselves and away from the overall image of the complete bicycle...

Please don't get me wrong. I am in favor of bling, now and again, having a great love for chrome lugs, stays and for ends but do you see those first, or at all at first, or are your eyes drawn to the red bar tape..?
The Cyclops actually looks great both ways shows if nicely done you can go either and it can be a mater of personnel choice or cost. I often go with the nicest matching bar tape that is on sale right now you can fairly nice black carbon tape on ebay for $3.00 a role shipped if your willing to wait 2-3 weeks on discount shipping fro overseas. A lot of guys stock and by the 20 role bundle of black for $30-35.