Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

How long do yr tires last

Old 10-11-20, 12:50 PM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
How long do yr tires last

1. How many klm do you get out of yr tires? Do you monitor tire klm?
2. Criteria for replacing a tire?
3. If yr rear tire gets a cut, and needs replacement do you place yr front on rear wheel, and the new tire on front wheel or just replace rear tire?
4. Do you ride with a tire boot, or just use it to get home?
5. Do you patch yr inner tubes that you bring home after a flat.
6. What kind of tires are you using?
Old 10-11-20, 12:59 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I've got 32-mm Conti GP 5000s. I estimate I've got about 6000 km on them. The tread-wear indicators are gone front and rear, which means I should replace them, but they still ride well, so I'm not in a hurry.
I regard booting a tire as an emergency stopgap. I would not ride on a booted tire longer than necessary.
Old 10-11-20, 02:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I replace tires sooner rather than later. I don't take any chances with them, if I have any doubts they get replaced. I used to replace them one at a time, but that doesn't seem worth it now
Old 10-11-20, 05:32 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
1 - I have no clue how much distance I get on a tire before I replace it.

2 - Sometimes I get a cut that makes me nervous, or a tire bulge that suggests tearing fabric in the tire, or maybe I have just run out of tread.

3 - I almost always put my best or newest tire on the front, worn tire on the rear. Decades ago I had a blowout on a motorcycle on the rear tire, I was amazed that I managed to stay upright but I did stay upright and I credited my retention of steering to be the reason why I was not injured. Maybe I am too paranoid of a front tire failure, but I feel that it never hurts to do it the way I do. I am aware that some people rotate tires to try to wear out the front and rear at about the same time.

4 - NA.

5 - Yes, patch inner tubes. I often carry a self adhesive patch kit, but my experience with those patches is that they do not last long so when I use them I feel that is a temporary measure, plan to replace it later with a glued on patch.

6 - Have many bikes for different purposes. Mostly Schwalbe, some Vittoria, a few are Hutchinson.
Old 10-12-20, 06:00 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
1. IDK, don't keep track of this. One the tire looks like crap, I start getting a replacement.
2. If I don't like the look of a cut, I'll change it.
3. I run 28mm in front and 26mm at the back, so swapping is not an option for me.
4. Haven't had the pleasure of requiring a boot yet (touch wood), but in any case for 600k and above I always carry a spare tire.
5. No.
6. Panaracer GravelKings.
Old 10-12-20, 02:12 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by yannisg
7200 km (4500 miles) in front plus the same mileage in back installing a fresh tire on front for 14,400 km (9000 miles) total.

The cords show or are damaged.

3. If yr rear tire gets a cut, and needs replacement do you place yr front on rear wheel, and the new tire on front wheel or just replace rear tire?
Yes.

Just to get home.

No.

700x25 Continental GP4000SII.

What my tires usually look like when I replace them:
Old 10-13-20, 09:49 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I started tracking my tire usage this year since strava has that functionality (might be premium?). I have over 3000km on my current front and it hardly looks worn. The rear only has ~1200 and it looks as good as the front. Both are vittoria corsa 2.0 or whatever they are called now. They seem a bit more durable than the previous version and they're nice and quick. I carry a boot but I carry a spare on brevets too. My partner has used a boot on a tour and I'd finish a brevet on a boot if I needed too. A good boot like the park ones should last for a brevet. I've yet to need either on a brevet thankfully. I patch tubes and re-use them.
Old 10-13-20, 11:36 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
When they get a bad ding or just too many cuts, I replace them. Sometimes it's the front, sometimes the rear. If it's the rear, I usually just replace it, 'cause the front probably has a few cuts, too. I don't think I've ever replaced a tire because of the rubber just going away. They always get cut up before that happens. We're lucky if roads get swept once a year here, usually in April. I'm not sure if Seattle city streets are ever swept, or repaired for that matter. Raises taxes, don'tcha know? There's at least one heavily bike-traveled street that for sure hasn't been maintained for 25 years.

Little cuts pick up additional flints and cause flats. I hate getting a flat on a brevet. Other riders say, "Need any help?" after they've gone by. Not that I'd take it anyway.
Old 10-13-20, 12:51 PM
yannisg

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
5000 to 6000 klm.
I have to replace my tubeless tires (Hutchinson) before the tire needs to be replaced from wear or cuts because of problems sealing the tire to the rim.

Cuts or repeated flats.
In the last years tires seem to be more resistant to flats even though the condition of the roads has deteriorated.

Replace the front with new.

Just to ride home.
I have found that the tears on the sidewall are much easier to handle than those on the tread. In fact, the Park tool tire boot I used on a tread cut lasted only a few klm. I have found that a juice carton (tetra-pack) boot lasts the longest. I always carry a pre-cut one with me.

Yes. Small punctures only. Adhesive patches only to get home.

I use Continental all seasons and 4000 GP 700X25. Hutchinson fusion tubeless 700X23.

I reduce the tire pressure after every ride except for the tubeless that lose pressure anyway..
Old 10-13-20, 01:53 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I hate getting a flat on a brevet
Me too. I like running new or at least pretty new tires on a 400k and up, and I always start a GR with a new set of tires. So I'm constantly changing tires before they are worn out and trying to "use up" my older tires on shorter training rides but I have several dozen partially used tires hanging in the basement that I'm sure will dry-rot before I ever have a chance to ever put them on a rim again.
Likes For kingston:
Old 10-13-20, 03:25 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
2,000-4,500 miles rear, up to 6,000 miles front, depending on tire and load. Replace when the outer, hard rubber is gone and it starts flatting, or when cords are visible.

I collect leaky tubes and patch them at home, or on the road when I've exhausted spares. I think I'm up to four failed, repaired tubes after 20 years or so.

I've limped home on two tire boots, and had three other booted tires failed; it's worth a try, but replace a blow-out ASAP.
Old 10-13-20, 04:02 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

On tire boots, I fortunately have never had to use one. But I cut up a tyvek post office envelope into many boots several years ago. And I keep a piece of that tyvek for a boot in a zip lock with every one of my spare tubes, so if I ever needed a boot, it was right there with the tube.

On wearing out tires, I put the tire in the photo on a touring bike before I did the Pacific Coast tour in 2014. So, it started out life on a bike loaded with four panniers for a bit under a thousand miles. Distance since then has mostly been unladen.

I have several bikes and ride many of them, so no single bike gets a lot of miles each year. I am now on year seven on that tire and the tread is almost gone. The center has no tread left, it is functionally a slick. Every few hundred miles I give it a close look again to decide if it needs to be replaced, and it just keeps going, and going, and going. That said, the tire will be discarded before snow, I will need a tire with good tread once there is some snow on the ground.

Old 10-13-20, 04:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Me too. I like running new or at least pretty new tires on a 400k and up, and I always start a GR with a new set of tires. So I'm constantly changing tires before they are worn out and trying to "use up" my older tires on shorter training rides but I have several dozen partially used tires hanging in the basement that I'm sure will dry-rot before I ever have a chance to ever put them on a rim again.
I don't hang my tires. You ride more than I, so I only have a tote about half-full of lightly used tires with a few new ones on top.
Old 10-17-20, 06:54 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
1) My tires vary, some have short life others last for years. Usually the comfortable tires are short lived, the 'tough' tires last
2) usually a tire starts getting flats often, I hurl it.
3) My best tire goes on the rear unless it is questionable, then onto the front
4) Yes I'll ride with a boot. I see no problem if you boot it properly. I just road on the GAP and most of the C&O with a boot. Rough trail in parts and the boot was fine. I use old inner tubes as boots and tend to run lower pressure on trails. I shall replace the tire but she held fine for over 250 miles.
5) I patch, if I did not I would have spent a fortune on tubes. I just threw out a tube with 13 patches!!! It is my record
6) Schwalbe, Soma and Panracer are my favorites now using Donnelly's MSO gravel
Old 10-19-20, 07:45 AM
amedias

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts
1. I do monitor it, but it depends on the specific model of tyre and the conditions it's used in, sometimes as little as 1000km, sometimes as much as 10,000km

2. 'When it's worn out' - that could be anything from tread worn through to the casing but otherwise fine, to barely worn but sidewall failing, and everything in between. Again, it's very dependant on the tyre and the conditions as to how it gets worn out.

3. I replace rear, mostly because it's the one that wears quicker anyway, and also because I don't often use the same tyres on the front and rear.

4. It's a get home fix only. If I keep riding on it then it's always a 'what if' nagging in the back of my mind.

5. yes, but they then get used on commuter/local errand bikes, not on my long distance bikes.

6. Ha! across more than a dozen bikes I have many different types and sizes, not going to bore you all by listing them ;-) Criteria change depending on use too, speed/comfort/size/tread/lack of tread/longevity/cost/availability/aesthetics all play a part in the decision somewhere.
Old 11-01-20, 08:50 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
On tire boots, I fortunately have never had to use one. But I cut up a tyvek post office envelope into many boots several years ago. And I keep a piece of that tyvek for a boot in a zip lock with every one of my spare tubes, so if I ever needed a boot, it was right there with the tube.
Back in the day I found PowerBar wrappers to be a good boot.
Old 11-03-20, 02:37 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by TomM
Back in the day I found PowerBar wrappers to be a good boot.
With or without the Powerbar still in the wrapper?
Old 11-03-20, 03:30 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
1. How many klm do you get out of yr tires? 6,000-7,000 km if punctures don't kill them first. Do you monitor tire klm? Yes.
2. Criteria for replacing a tire? No more tread, a puncture that can't (or shouldn't) be plugged, or if it needs more than 2 plugs.
3. If yr rear tire gets a cut, and needs replacement do you place yr front on rear wheel, and the new tire on front wheel or just replace rear tire? Just replace rear tire.
4. Do you ride with a tire boot, or just use it to get home? Just to get it home.
5. Do you patch yr inner tubes that you bring home after a flat. NA
6. What kind of tires are you using? Maxxis Tread Lite 29x2.1
Old 11-03-20, 05:11 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Turns out I have a weakness for accumulating new tires. I bought some pedals from PBK recently and threw in a set of GP5000's that I don't really need just to get free shipping on the pedals. I must do that a lot because when I went to put them away there were already a bunch of unopened boxes on my new tire shelf.
Old 11-03-20, 08:46 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by pdlamb
With or without the Powerbar still in the wrapper?
Only 50mm or wider tires can hold a Powerbar, so it is size dependent.

Originally Posted by kingston
Turns out I have a weakness for accumulating new tires. I bought some pedals from PBK recently and threw in a set of GP5000's that I don't really need just to get free shipping on the pedals. I must do that a lot because when I went to put them away there were already a bunch of unopened boxes on my new tire shelf.
I am starting to use a tire that I think I bought about 14 years ago. You are not the only one to tack on something in the order to get free shipping.

​​​​​​​