Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2011 Double Century Thread (& Longer Rides)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-10, 05:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
2011 Double Century Thread (& Longer Rides)

OK, here's the "official" 2011 Double Century Thread.

When you finish your Double Centuries, post them here! And tell us a bit about the ride ... where it was, if it was solo or with a group, how long it took you, stuff like that.

Just for informational purposes, a "Double Century" is 200 miles completed as "all at once" as possible. Reasonable breaks are allowed, of course, but if you do a century on Saturday, and another century on Sunday, that's called a "Back-To-Back" century, not a "Double Century".

If you want to do one a month, like the Century-A-Month challenge, go for it! If you'd rather do just three in July, that's fine too. And if you do a ride that's longer than a double century ... like a triple century perhaps ... feel free to post about it here as well.
Old 05-03-11, 04:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Bump for those doing double centuries and longer rides ...
Old 05-04-11, 01:32 PM
dspaff088
½ Throttle

Bikes: 2006 Tirreno Razza 3.0, 2007 Schwinn DH 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my goal by the end of the summer is to do my first double century to a town in maryland called "Scotland"

it would be cool to say i rode my bike to scotland, and it is my next long distance feat to be accomplished
Old 05-04-11, 01:41 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dspaff088
...it would be cool to say i rode my bike to scotland, and it is my next long distance feat to be accomplished
I didn't ride my bike too Scotland but I did ride it across Scotland. Inverness to the Isle of Skye. Great ride!
Old 05-04-11, 02:25 PM
oban_kobi

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Custom Vintage FG

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My goal is to ride a 400k by October-ish. I'll be sure to come back here....

or I'll forget. I do that sometimes.
Old 05-04-11, 06:58 PM
petrolhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I just registered for the two-lap enduro of the Taupo (New Zealand) Cycle Challenge, in November this year. Did the one lap 160km last year, so thought I might as well step it up for 2011. Last year's 160km went okay, wasn't great (5hrs 58mins total incl stops) but I only started cycling 16 weeks beforehand. Have done plenty of kilmetres since then so I believe that the double is achievable. Focussed training starts now...
Old 05-22-11, 06:22 AM
phatfree
PhatFree

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode a double century in the Hill Country area of Texas in March. The weather was very reasonable and the ride was great. Despite common knowledge, Texas is not flat and there was a considerable amount of climbing. A group of 6 cyclist rode together for the entire ride and we finished in about 20 hours. I rode the course on my single speed and had a great day in the saddle!
Old 05-24-11, 01:28 AM
DanteB

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished my fourth double of the year, the Davis Double, it was the first one in nice weather. My first was the Camino Real Double and the last 6 hours was in pouring down rain at 40 degrees. The next one the Solvang Spring Double and it rained for the last 120 miles, but it was 50 degrees. Next was the Hemet Double that started at 47 degrees and topped out at 109 degrees. Up next will be the Grand Tour June 26, I'm hoping for good weather.
Old 05-25-11, 07:49 AM
MtAiry_mike

Bikes: WATERFORD, TREK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode a double century over the weekend...was participating in a 400k (252 miles) with our local DC Rando group but had to bail at the 215 miles mark because of excessive spewing, which caused me to spend 5 hours in the ER. Started in Frederick, MD - went to Airmont, VA - then to Shepherdstown, WV - then to Hancock, MD - then to Newville, PA - and finally quit at Gettysburg PA. Visited 4 states in 20 hours. Weather was fantastic with low winds and mostly sunny skies. The area around here is just gorgeous. Approx 50 randos started and i was one of two who had to quit - both of us had stomach issues. First double complete and planning another in June.
Old 05-25-11, 12:18 PM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Its not about the "miles"

A bicyclist from the Midwest recently toured the rural Southern Illinois area through the night. The native of St. Louis, Richard Cranium, rode his specially night-equipped bicycle over 200 miles during the weekend of the “full moon” May 21st,22nd.

Starting from his residence in the Saint Louis area, Cranium first rode through the hazardous urban city streets and avenues of Saint Louis and crossed into Illinois after 12 miles of pedaling. Starting what he calls his “lunar-light” expedition just after noon, the cerebral adventurer navigated the Madison County Bicycle Trail system to leave the metro area and enter the rural prairie lands of Western Illinois.

An enjoyable pre-dinner was had at the very northern tip of the trail system in Staunton Illinois, some 50 miles northeast of St Louis. Turning a corner as sundown-lengthened shadows formed across the fields and farm houses, the nearly full moon slowly rose in the violet-blue eastern sky.

While traveling due south, the intrepid cyclist could watch the last rays of the sun in the west and the ever brightening- whitening of a formerly pale and crimson lunar disk to the east. In addition to the light of the moon, legions of fire-flies sprung from the flora of fallow field and ditch – creating a natural light show in its own right.

Stopping at the south-east corner of this 200 mile rectangular route – coffee and Snapple refueled this nocturnal “cyclo-naut.” Now, over 100 miles had been ridden, but the next 100 would be under the moon’s purview.

As the height of the moon in the sky grew – so did its light, and as this solitary cyclist rode back lanes made of chipped gravel and tar – the hills and dales of the country-side took on surreal qualities only afforded to those who challenge the night-scape for activity.

Deer stood aside and stared at the rider –as if in knowing deference to the beauty of a strange being that could travel with such smooth gait and silent strides. Possums, rabbits and skunks scurried about not knowing what to think. A Raccoon and its brood were mulling about aimlessly.

As the hours and miles passed the rider refortified with stores of on-board sugars and water. Reentering the urban area, lights and battery levels were rechecked. All systems were switched up to “see-me” mode.

One last stop to freshen up and adopt a wind-vest for the descent into the river-valley was required. In a few miles, all the roads would be lit. The moon would take its place in the background. The natural “light show” would end, the animals either long gone or dying in the roads.

Back to the city, where the moon goes unnoticed, the breeze unfelt and where the night is home to the drunk the weary – or both. 200 miles of cycling, but a ride that is measured in more ways than distance for Richard Cranium.
Old 05-30-11, 02:12 AM
chidonchea

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've finished two doubles this year.
The Devil Mountain Double
And the Davis Double Century
Old 05-31-11, 05:17 AM
Kristen23

Bikes: Trek XO1, Fuji Feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning to ride the GAP/C&O Towpath this summer or early fall in under 24 hours. Approx 320 miles. I just did an out 'n back on the GAP of 150 miles in about 10 hrs with stops, including beer stop! I've heard the record for the C&O is just over 13.5 hours. But I'm not sure about the GAP. Anyone know?? Or better yet is anyone interested in doing this? I'm looking for one other crazy person!!
Old 05-31-11, 06:47 AM
yannisg

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Did a 600k brevet in a hilly terrain (5000m total ascent) a few weeks ago. This was the last brevet of the series in preparation for the PBP ride. Weather was good; about 10 deg C minimum at night, and 30 deg C during the day, no rain. This was completed in 31 hours. At the end my muscles didn't feel tired, and I could have continued. However, one of the biggest problems that arise, in my opinion, is body's contact points with the bike, and its stiffness being in one position. Hands get numb, slight saddle sores, chaffing areas, neck and shoulders get stiff, and slight numbness on "ball" of feet. The other problem is lack of sleep. The brevet started at 1830 hours so you are a night and a half on the road, and since the limit is 40 hours you could be 2 nights on the road. Of course, if you can keep yr speed up you could accumulate a few hours and rest. I have never tried stopping for more than 30 to 40 min so I don't know if I would feel better or worst after a 3 to 4 hour rest. I try to do a little stretching on the bike, but I am never that desciplined to gain the benefits.
These are my experiences from most long distance brevets.

YannisG
Old 08-24-11, 07:27 AM
gwcarter

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just completed my first Double Century. 19th - 20th August 2011. Together with a friend we set off from Cockermouth (UK) rode down to a small seaside town (Ravenglass) and then more or less followed Hadrians Cycleway to Tynemouth near Newcastle. Afraid it took us a total of 22hours, quite a lot of it overnight. Completed the route in one go on Mountain Bikes (with suspension), no support and both of us in our mid fifties. From strong winds and rain to glorious sunshine.
Old 08-26-11, 08:00 AM
DanteB

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chidonchea
I've finished two doubles this year. And the Davis Double Century
I don't know why I didn't look at this before. You're passing me at the 2:30 mark, Davis was my fourth for the year.
Old 08-26-11, 02:08 PM
leaping_gnome

Bikes: 1975 Eisentraut Ltd, 1995 Trek 7000 MTB, 2007 Masi Vincere, 1974 Masi GC, 1981 Specialized Allez, 1984 Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The California Triple Crown events, most recently I rode the Mt Tam double. That was a fantastic course and great people running it. I also finished the Solvang Spring rainfest, the Tour of Two Forests, and the Grand Tour Highland double. I DNF'd the Camino Real in a moment of weakness and asthma. I rode the Solvang Autumn last year and plan to ride it again.
Old 09-07-11, 08:27 AM
eric!

Bikes: A bunch of Merckx bikes from the 90s

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my first double century about 3 weeks back: the Nightmare Tour in Lancaster County, PA. It took me 14 hours, 48 min. I was pretty disappointed with my time since I went off course @ one point and tacked on an additional 7 miles.

Here is a terrible picture around mile 150. This was taken right before a torrential downpour that destroyed my cellphone.

So what is one supposed to train for after a double? I'm eyeing up the Adirondack 540.
Old 09-17-11, 11:42 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am a bit late, but I rode the Grand Tour lowland route for the first time this year. It was my second double century, the first being the Vulture Mine 300k ( I did have 197 miles when we finished) in December 2010. It was a great day for a ride, and the LA Wheelmen do a great job. I rode with the Bullshifters (Phoenix club). I hope to qualify for a Triple Crown in 2012.
Old 09-20-11, 10:08 AM
Dirt-Eater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going for my 4th double of the year this Sat (Knoxville Double). I've done Davis, Terrible Two and Mt. Tam. Hopefully complete the 1000 mile club with Bass Lake or Solvang Double.
Old 10-02-11, 09:07 PM
leaping_gnome

Bikes: 1975 Eisentraut Ltd, 1995 Trek 7000 MTB, 2007 Masi Vincere, 1974 Masi GC, 1981 Specialized Allez, 1984 Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
See you at Solvang, two weeks hence.

Jim