Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tiagra 4700 front Derailleur gap

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 11:35 AM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Bikes: Kona JTS, Norco Sasquatch 07(had), Giant Fastroad SLR 17(had)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

hello gents,

got a front derailleur thats not shifting when i set the gap to ~1mm, but will shift at ~3mm plus. And the low limit screw has to be set so(with skit plate) that its touching the chain, its like it need some preload to shift to the bigger cog... and then the tension has to be set quite halfway tight..

is this normal?
Old 06-13-20, 09:12 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
If you've only set up front derailleurs older than 2015 or so, the newer Shimano derailleurs are a completely different animal. I made a video a while back on how to set up and adjust newer, long arm style front derailleurs including the 4700 model. It may be helpful in getting your preload/cable tension set up, which is a pretty specific process for that style derailleur:
Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 06-14-20, 05:49 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
If you've only set up front derailleurs older than 2015 or so, the newer Shimano derailleurs are a completely different animal. I made a video a while back on how to set up and adjust newer, long arm style front derailleurs including the 4700 model. It may be helpful in getting your preload/cable tension set up, which is a pretty specific process for that style derailleur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8EyRpb1ibo
She shifts now! I guess I was asking too much, big ring to big ring shift seem to slop a little but if I want them to shift great the tension goes way up... so to get the right balance of tension and shiftability, they'll slop...thx again
Likes For jma1st3r:
Old 06-14-20, 08:25 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Not sure of the big ring to big ring shift. Sounds like shifting to the largest chainring while in the largest cassette cog is too tight/too much tension. If the chain is too short going into the big - big it can be tough especially if you are right at the verge of ripping the rear derailleur off the bike.

John
Old 06-14-20, 08:43 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Not sure of the big ring to big ring shift. Sounds like shifting to the largest chainring while in the largest cassette cog is too tight/too much tension. If the chain is too short going into the big - big it can be tough especially if you are right at the verge of ripping the rear derailleur off the bike.

John
interesting.

My bike is 46/34 in the front, 11/34 in the rear, 10 speed.
The current situation is that the bike shifts the entire cassette onto the smaller ring no problem. If I go from 34 rear to 46 front, it tries and hop a little and get on. Anywhere on the cassette but the biggest shifts to 46 with no issue. If I want to shift the biggest rear to 46 front like the rest, i have to crank the barrel a few turns to stiff the tension. The problem then is the shifter pull gets too hard.

edit*, after watching some videos, the chain is at decent length, hanger is at 6 o'clock.

Last edited by jma1st3r; 06-14-20 at 09:59 PM.