Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Di2 hard shifting - cause and solution?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 09:14 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

I have Di2 on my bike, along with an 11-32 cassette on the back. I swapped out the drop arm for a longer arm to accommodate the 11 - 32 cassette.
The bike shifts and rides well EXCEPT every now and again when I shift in the middle part of the cassette I get a really hard shift. A real loud sound KA-CLUNK as the bike shifts in to gear. The hard shifting does not happen regularly, so I cannot pinpoint when the hard shifting will take place. Equally as puzzling is the hard shift sometimes happens when I am shifting from the small front ring to the large.

The hard shifts don't happen under load either. They happen when I'm peddling along at a good/easy cadence and shifting gears.

Anyone have any insight into what's taking place and how I can solve the problem? Thank you.
Old 09-23-20, 06:53 AM
silverado8405

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about it too terribly much, mine did that every once in a while when I had cables and it still does it every once in a while now that I’ve converted it to DI2. If I was a betting man I’d say it probably has something to do with the interaction of the chain, derailleur movement, and the shift ramp position (or lack there of) on the cassette.
Likes For silverado8405:
Old 09-23-20, 08:44 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Make sure your cassette is tight. If it's loose, things will generally function as normal, but shifting to the smaller cogs can make an audible clunking or clacking sound.

Old 09-23-20, 09:01 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
My 11-32 cassette also makes different noises when up or down shifting at different places in the cassette on
my Di2 bike. How much torque is on the system also alters the noise level. Some shifts are silent, others
with a definite clunk and occasionally almost a mechanical protest, usually under high torque scenarios.
I assume when you refer to longer arm you refer to an RD hanger extension. I did not find this necessary
with a GS RD to cover the 11-32, but the next cassette will be 11-34 in a year or so.
Likes For sch:
Old 09-23-20, 11:03 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Le Mechanic thanks. I'll see about snugging everything up when I have my rear wheel of my bike next.

sch Hmm. I'll keep an eye/ear out to see if the noise happens more in high torque scenarios. I'm pretty sure the hard shifting just seems to randomly happen when the chain is somewhere in the middle of the cassette. When I mentioned a longer Di2 arm here is what I was referring to:

Old 09-24-20, 06:41 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Long cage derailer.