Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fashion trends among hardcore roadies

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-03, 11:08 AM
live311
Heeeeeere's Johnny!

Bikes: DeBernardi Zona, Trek 7.1 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As I passed a large group of cyclists (not a team, just a bunch of people led by a LBS), I noticed that almost all of them had colorful jerseys and shorts with fancy designs that seemed to coordinate with their bikes and helmets quite well. It made me feel a little inadequate in my plain blue helmet, plain black shorts and generic bright yellow jersey that seemed to clash with my blue, white, and silver bike. Are all hardcore roadies so well coordinated? What are the rules for picking a colorful logo or team jersey? From what I've seen, Quick Step and Fassa Bortolo attire would go nicely with the rest of my ensembles. Is one required to name every member of the team whose jersey they purchase? Will I be ridiculed for showing support for a foreign team? Will I have to buy matching shorts? And why is it necessary to coordinate colors like so many riders do? Please help me to understand these fashion trends.

Oh, and if anybody knows of some other team jerseys with blue, white, and maybe silver as their primary colors, let me know
Old 08-12-03, 11:50 AM
F1_Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you're worrying needlessly but...

I think matching pro jeresys and shorts is a little over the top. Pro jersey of your choice and black shorts :thumbup:

Colour coordinating the helmet and bike?!?!? Who cares.
Old 08-12-03, 11:55 AM
pointyhead
Coram Deo!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my my new helmet to somewhat match my bike (blue and white), I never give it a consious thought about total color coordination. I try to wear bright clothes just for the taffic enhancement.
Old 08-12-03, 11:59 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
It is NOT a fashion trend...... Roadies have been doing this since lycras became widely in use. This is no different from wearing any other sporting attire advertising your club or just displaying your favourite colors or team......even to match the color of equipment used. It just happens that cycling attire tends to be more flashy than other sporting attires. But that's ok......you wanna be noticed on the road, from a safety standpoint. And of course, you earn style points for coordinating colors to your bike!.......and that's nothing new..

PS.......I personally like simple solid colors as most of my tops and bottoms are. Even my bikes don't have any gizmos (computer, for ex.) ......including most factory stickers and logos.....I get rid of them...

Last edited by roadfix; 08-12-03 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-12-03, 12:02 PM
firebolt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am more worried about matching my jersey with my legs rather than my shorts
Old 08-12-03, 12:05 PM
~LongRider~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear whatever is appropriate for the ride. I picked up some of those starter jerseys, as per a tip from one of our members. I find myself wearing them 98% of the time. They breath really well. I dont worry so much about what color they are. I dont wear white jerseys however. I wind up looking like Im in a wet t'shirt contest.
Old 08-12-03, 12:05 PM
Chuvak
Advertise here!

Bikes: 2002 Allez A1xx SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what? I don't have any logos on my jersey either, just some white stripes on the shoulders. I love simplicity, that's why I take most of the stickers off my bikes. Spit in the face of one who dares judge you by the looks of your cycling clothes. At least you are not one of those “wonna be” riders who have team colors and bikes. Lets just hope that most of them do that out of support for the favorite team!
Old 08-12-03, 12:06 PM
roadfix
hello

Originally posted by firebolt
I am more worried about matching my jersey with my legs rather than my shorts
No problem, maybe I can help. Post photo of your legs.

LFC
(local fashion coordinator)
Old 08-12-03, 12:11 PM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wear the colours of the club I ride....seems more practical than going around wearing pro team jerseys (they also cost a LOT less than what pro stuff would cost)

That said, I'm going to go buy a 2003 Postal or maybe an 03' ONCE jersey in the next week or two
Old 08-12-03, 12:18 PM
BikeInMN
Dude who rides bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have guys on both ends of the spectrum.

Some will show up in full USPS or Mapei kits with matching bikes while others wear nothing but plain non-logo jerseys.

I very rarely match (unless I'm in my clubs colors) and the only bibs I own that are not black are my team bibs. I have Jerseys from Domo Farm Frites, Mapei, Navigators, Lampre, Lotto and a couple of retro wool jerseys.
Old 08-12-03, 12:19 PM
mlwschultz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a guy on his bike the other day all coordinated - bike, shorts, jersey, etc. & he didn't seem to be going that fast. Wearing the clothes doesn't make you a better biker. I prefer black shorts, a colorful jersey (solid color, color block, pattern, whatever I happen to like when I'm buying one), and a helmet to match the jersey. My husband & I ride a tandem & we don't match each other or the bike, but we do go fast & enjoy the ride.
Old 08-12-03, 12:42 PM
firebolt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by George
No problem, maybe I can help. Post photo of your legs.

LFC
(local fashion coordinator)
I bought this set to match my jersey from ebay. he..he..he..

Last edited by firebolt; 08-12-03 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-12-03, 01:05 PM
spazegun2213

Bikes: '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I look at it this way if EVERYTHING matches it will add 2-3mph to your speed ... which means that this rider is slow (and poor). Its fashion.. some riders are ment for runways not the track!

-Ross
Old 08-12-03, 01:05 PM
Brahman Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is how I do it!

On my weekday "afterwork/school" rides I wear simple black lycras, black Sidis, t-shirt and black Giro Helmet.

On my weekend rides I wear all black, i.e. Bibs, Sidis, Giro with a standout jersey (Acqua, Mapei, Italian National) and my red Oakley Racing Jackets. Oh and I always wear ankle socks that cannot be seen. I do try to coordinate my jerseys w/ my bike or the black that I wear b/c thats just how I am and thats what I like. Color me obsessive.

"The bicycle has a soul. If you are able to love it as it deserves, it will give you emotions you will never forget." -Mario Cipollini
Old 08-12-03, 01:09 PM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

holy smokes

his calves are....scultped and chiselled
Old 08-12-03, 01:30 PM
roadfix
hello

Nice set.....great definition. A monochrome jersey with vertical patterns will definitely compliment those legs. I would choose something metallic in base color. Always wear black shorts. BTW, how much did you pay for them?
Old 08-12-03, 01:33 PM
mouseorgan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When your my size I'd look like the whole team squeezed into one uniform. I'll stick to plain jersey and black shorts. At least there's less embarrasment if I bonk on a hill or fall off.
Old 08-12-03, 01:41 PM
brent_dube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i find a personal beauty in my plain black shorts and plain white shirt. i seriously would appear uglier, to myself, if i wore a team jersey or something.
Old 08-12-03, 01:53 PM
Raedeke

Bikes: '89-Trek 2120 '04-Cannondale Hybrid '05-Specialized Roubaix Comp '89 Burley Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend to go for the plain black shorts and what ever Jersey that's clean in the closet. I buy Jerseys like I buy ball caps. When I went to Scotland, I bought a hat. Last week in Vail... I bought a hat. This summer while in Florida, I bought a cool looking local Jersey.

I try and stay away from color coordination... I bike because I love to ride, not because I want to look good. And I'm not getting paid for the advertising space on my back...

I always wonder why my LBS sell their company jersey's for the going rate instead of discounting them so people will buy/wear and advertise for them??!!

Frankly, I tend to pass many of the local fashion plates out on the road. Sort of a slap in the face from a guy riding an entry level bike, and low end gear. But as was mentioned in a previous thread.

"The bike nor the gear make the rider."

Lance will still kick you ass on a Huffy, $20 Bell helmet, Starter Jearsey and swim trunks...

But that's just my humble opinion.
Old 08-12-03, 01:54 PM
live311
Heeeeeere's Johnny!

Bikes: DeBernardi Zona, Trek 7.1 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, guys. I feel a lot better now. I did just order a blue closed mesh jersey from Performance that matches my bike and helmet a little better. My yellow one is getting kinda ratty and stinky. I think I'll put a Quick Step jersey on my Christmas list

Now about socks....
Old 08-12-03, 02:18 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We used to poke fan at guys wearing European team jerseys. We'd see a guy wearing a Motorola jersey and yell "Look, it's Steve Bauer!"
Old 08-12-03, 02:39 PM
itschris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll find this funny...

Three guys, not in very good shape, where all trying on clothes in my LBS. All three of them eventually came out in US Postal Gear. They commented on how they all ride together. I just thought it was kinda funny and I think I'd probably chuckle if I saw the "local" postal team riding together down the trail. It does beg the question... who gets to wear yellow?
Old 08-12-03, 03:40 PM
jester69
Its a Lemming thing...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably most of the people you see riding in the kit where the shorts match the jersey are on a racing team.

What that means is they have to buy probably at least 2 sets of that stuff, so why not just use it all the time.

Other folks are in a local club and wear the club colors when racing. So, since they have the stuff why not use it for training rides.

I agree with others and if I saw a guy wearing all matching from a euro team, i'd chuckle a tad, but to each their own.

take care,

Jester
Old 08-12-03, 04:04 PM
RacerX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear team gear -MY team gear- all the time because that is all I own and you all should too. As serious as you all are about cycling, you should represent your local club, team or shop or even bikeforums.
You are part of a community and it's your duty as a cyclist to represent and support those in that community that support you.

You are a moving billboard no matter what you wear while cycling. Sorry, if you weren't making a statement--you wouldn't be here saying you weren't making a statement.

I changed my mind about pro team wear when I saw a bunch of riders with US Postal jerseys on during the TDF. You know what? It was cool to see that many riders excited about bike racing! People are gonna see that and some are going to want to find out about it. A couple might even take up riding and maybe one will race and become the next Armstrong. Who knows.

The more cycling culture that permeates the mainstream, the better it is for cycling. Wear team gear! YOUR team, YOUR club, YOUR shop, YOUR favorite pro team, YOUR favorite internet forum! BE A MOVING BILLBOARD FOR THE GREATEST SPORT AND ACTIVITY IN THE WORLD!!!!!!
Old 08-12-03, 04:35 PM
pjbaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asi tried on a pair of plain black shorts this afternoon I wondered the same thing.

I bought the plain shorts but passed on a jersey b/c there wasn't anything that caught my eye. I don't know enough about cycling and team riders, etc. to make an informed decision yet.

BUT, since I have an OLD Bianchi I have been trying to maintain a more vintage style. I haven't been able to find crotched gloves that fit yet...maybe soon.

hat being said, I did see a really cool looking Campy jersey at a shop and I think that might be the one.

PJBAZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.