Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Balad AB Iraq

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-09, 09:20 PM
Blade-Runner
\m/

Bikes: Got a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Balad AB Iraq

I'm headed there next month and thinking about buying/taking a cyclocross bike with me for the deployment.

Anyone there or been there lately? Will I be about to train/ride while there?
Old 01-26-09, 06:01 AM
mrtornadohead
dork. yup.

Bikes: Trek xo2, Fuji Cross Pro, Schwinn Traveler cross-conversion, Concours, Trek 2300, Takara, Specialized Hard Rock, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, GT LTS Team issue, BikeE, Miyata 110, and some others. Somewhere.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bagdad deployment

I have no idea of what to bring, but I just wish you the best while you are there. Looking forward to your safe return, too.
Old 01-28-09, 02:36 PM
rugerben

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you so much BR for your service to our country. We are forever in your debt.
Old 01-28-09, 04:56 PM
bassplayinbiker

Bikes: Diamondback centurion. Home built tandem

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Make sure to bring as many tubes and other perishables as possible. I dont know about the LBS situation over there.

Good Luck!
Old 04-13-09, 06:36 PM
xfitf16pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need a Bike in Balad

Anyone know anyone selling a bike at Balad Air Base in Iraq?? I show up in early May.

email me directly james@fighterpilotfitness.com
Old 04-14-09, 08:09 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
BR, why not post this in the General Cycling forum? They get a lot more traffic so you may get a few replies with riding details.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-17-09, 06:08 PM
Blade-Runner
\m/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xfitf16pilot
Anyone know anyone selling a bike at Balad Air Base in Iraq?? I show up in early May.

email me directly james@fighterpilotfitness.com
There is a number of "classifieds" here, but no one has or is selling any bikes with buying. They are all the type you can buy at Wal-Mart (sold by AAFES here).

If I had to do it all over again I would have brought (flown here with) a cyclocross bike.

I'm still playing around with the idea I having a cyclocross bike mailed/shipped here to me. I'm currntly filling the cycling void with spin class every night.
Old 04-17-09, 06:11 PM
Blade-Runner
\m/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
BR, why not post this in the General Cycling forum? They get a lot more traffic so you may get a few replies with riding details.
I did, very few people replied to it and it got pushed back/away by other posts.
Old 05-03-09, 04:04 PM
jnorto06

Bikes: Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, Im currently in TQ, Iraq. Dont waste your money on bringing a bike over here. It will get destroyed. Look for a bike on base they are always laying around when people leave. I found my self a TREK 820 mtb that I use, all im waiting on is my pedals and couple small upgrades. to train with. Will you get time to train, it depends on your mission but you should have plenty of time I run 2-6 miles a day 5 days a week and bike any where from 30-75 mins a day with plenty of left over time. get used to being bored my friend. Hit me up on private message. If you have more questions about iraq just ask i will tell you what i can.

Last edited by jnorto06; 05-03-09 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-03-09, 04:44 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
A cross bike could serve you well...but whether it's worth the expense is up to you. The roads are atrocious, and in some areas the army drivers on them are as dangerous as anything else you may encounter there. You can ride the perimeter road, depending on what security edicts have been passed.

Getting the bike to and from your bunk and/or other places will be a lot like cyclocross, actually. In many areas the ground has been covered in pea gravel...a pain to walk on and impossible to ride through. The pea gravel was put down, however, to keep you from trudging through the dirt...which turns to mud in rainy season. The mud is like peanut butter the way it sticks to things, and after walking 100 yards through it you're practically six inches taller with the platform boots you've grown on that trek.

There are cheap, crappy AAFES bikes available.

Out of curiosity, how did you propose getting an entire bicycle there and back?
Old 05-03-09, 04:45 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I just caught up on everything else, and realized that you're already there! Pardon my apparently poor reading comprehension!