Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

how competent a bike mechanic are you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

how competent a bike mechanic are you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 10:22 AM
rc32
Resident skeptic

Bikes: BD Bottecchia with SRAM Force, Pedal Force ZX3 with SRAM Force/Red, 1994 Cannondale Track Bike with original Suntour Superbe Pro, TT rig on the way

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do everything but chasing and facing...
Old 06-16-09, 10:50 AM
Psyclismo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do all my own work. Only time I've ever brought a bike into a LBS for work was a very bad experience. They were having a "spring tune-up" special, $35 if I remember right, and I was less than motivated to do the work myself that spring. The bike (a mountain bike) was shifting ok, but wasn't exactly running quiet, and it needed a few parts to be cleaned/degreased, all of which I was told was part of their "deal". *Three weeks* later I get a call saying my bike is ready. I pick it up and noticed that zero cleaning has been done. In fact, it looked dirtier than when I brought it in. I complained and was told that the person that explained the services to me must have been confused, as the $35 special covered nothing more than small adjustments here and there.

Pissed, I went ahead and paid them and drove home. The next day, I take the bike for a short ride around the block, only to notice that the bike would drop the chain every downshift up front, and was skipping like a mo-fo in the back. I had to then spend 10 minutes adjusting it properly. I called and raised a stink, and was finally given my money back, but lets just say I'll NEVER give a bike to a LBS for service ever again. I'm convinced my bike hung on a rack for three weeks, and nobody even touched it. I was basically charged a storage fee.

Since then I've purchased every bike specific tool I could afford, and now have a workshop capable of everything other than pressing in headset bearings (which could be done with two large washers and a threaded rod) and facing/chasing a BB. Bikes aren't complicated, and the tools necessary to do 99% of the work you'll ever need done can be purchased for the cost of a single "tune-up". I've never built up a set of wheels however, but I've trued many, and never had an issue.

I'm to the point now where I work on my bikes for relaxation. I'll take them apart for no reason other than because I want to. It's fun!
Old 06-16-09, 11:35 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a fairly competent bike mechanic,No formal training so some of the finer nuances might get by me.
I don't true or build wheels.
Old 06-16-09, 11:41 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
This sounds like a job for Bicycle Repair Man!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eCdIe0wdvU
Old 06-16-09, 11:58 AM
n8tron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love spending an hour or two outside working on the bike. It's a fun relaxing get away almost, (I guess kinda how biking is, even though its physically hard) even though it can be challenging. I sit out on my patio with some music and a beer and get to it.

There is a lot I can't do, but I'm learning as I need to. I can true wheels, lube cables, adjust brakes, adjust derailleurs, install various parts, wrap tape etc... That's nearly everything I've need to do so far. I've cleaned out the bottom bracket once, but that was with the instruction of a friend and I personally don't have the tools for that now.
Old 06-16-09, 12:24 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I'm more of a bike cleaner and bike maintainer guy.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-16-09, 12:34 PM
liferider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I worked at a bike shop for about 3 years, and I can do just about anything minus wheel builds. I suck at those...for those who can hand build wheels and do it well, major props.

I don't have a good set of tools or a stand at home right now, so I bring my bike to the LBS for all of my work. It's a little expensive, but the mechanics there do a great job and I don't mind supporting the shop.
Old 06-16-09, 01:56 PM
NYCycle09
One and Done

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 9 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still don't even know how to oil my chain yet. I can fix my cable box when it doesn't receive a good signal though. Makes the wife happy.
Old 06-16-09, 02:25 PM
exRunner

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am a Mechanical Engineer.
I have formal Navy Training in mechanical repair and assembly.
I manage the Assembly Department of the company I work for.

I make enough money to pay someone to screw with a bicycle.

All of the above gives me the knowledge to ensure that person does it right, and the tanacity to call them on a mistake.
Old 06-16-09, 02:35 PM
PedalMasher
214/13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've built up my last 3 bikes from frames. I bought a Zinn road bike maintenance copy and everything is all there. Going to try my hand at building a set of track wheels. It's all in Zinn baby,
Old 06-16-09, 08:06 PM
e2py

Bikes: Felt F70

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My basic rules:
1. Know your limits,
2. There is no substitute for using the PROPER tools.

I'll consider most fixes or repairs after reading up on it and before considering the LBS option. Take pictures or write things down if it's a complicated job so you know what to return to. Remember that this is a machine, not flesh, so even if you break something it can usually be replaced. Go slow and it shouldn't break. There is a certain satisfaction that many of us get out of fixing our own stuff.

The LBS has something that most of us don't have, which is years of experience, tips, tricks and knowledge doing all aspects of bike mechanics - sometimes it's just a reasonable option that will save you time, frustration and maybe money.
Old 06-16-09, 08:48 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
I do all my own building and repairs. I build wheels, I can braze and weld. I built up a python recumbent from chrome square tubbing. sold it.
I will not repair carbon fibre frames though, to expensive if it fails. I also desighn, build and fly r/c aircraft. though nott in a couple of years.
mechanical apptitude isnt a skill, its an afliction.
Old 06-16-09, 08:53 PM
bassplayinbiker

Bikes: Diamondback centurion. Home built tandem

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I do it for a living.
Old 06-16-09, 09:22 PM
roy5000x2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to become a licensed mechanic, but I don't have the time at the moment. I have the knowledge/access to knowledge on how to do everything.
Old 06-16-09, 09:29 PM
bikeybikebike
Economists do it w/models

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not about absolute competency, it's about value for money. yes, value for money.
Old 06-16-09, 09:46 PM
IbizaBiker

Bikes: Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will soon hopefully be doing mostly all of it myself. I found a class I'm going to attend that last for 15hours. It's at a vocational school. It's Bike Repair and Maintenance. I'll report back when I'm done. It lasts 6 weeks. I'm excited. John
Old 06-16-09, 10:15 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can install stuff like a drink cage, bell, remove a kickstand (I suppose I could install one after doing that...) I want to learn how to properly grease my chains, inflate tires properly (which is a b@%ch to do on a road bike) more complicated/messy stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest. I'd rather pay the very reasonable rates to my favourite bike mechanic at MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) than attempt to tune up/repair my own bikes and thereby destroy them. I think a basic tune there is $14 or something. They are only charging me $20 to redo my bar tape INCLUDING the bar tape, adjusting the seat/saddle for free.

I love my bike mechanic so much, after my warranty tune on my hybrid at a different shop, I'm never going back to the shop I bought that bike at cause their customer service is seriously bad, even though I get a year of free "tweaking" there.
Old 06-16-09, 10:22 PM
vettefrc2000

Bikes: 1976 Fuji America 1980 Fuji America 1984 Fuji America TS V 1982 Fuji Royale II 1993 Trek 970 1997 Trek 5000 2004 Trek Calypso 2007 Trek Portland 2008 Surly LTH

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I did it for a living.

Now I do it for relaxation.
Old 06-16-09, 10:48 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I can do most repairs and build wheels, built a few bikes from parts too. Can't braze or weld though.
Old 06-16-09, 11:27 PM
ZiP0082

Bikes: 2008 Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets
you've just got to do it. You'll need to invest in tools, but at the service prices, those will pay for themselves very quickly.
+1
Old 06-17-09, 06:44 PM
RacerJRP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get paid to work on bikes.
Old 06-17-09, 06:51 PM
Bearonabike

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Complete frame up rebuilds/restoration. Hate doing wheels though.
Old 06-17-09, 07:12 PM
BobLoblaw
Dough Mestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do it all, build, tension and true wheels, install headsets and BB's. I worked through college at a shop. One of the old timers there was as much an artist as a mechanic. He showed me the proper etiquette for installing a Campy headset, and how on a properly built wheel, you can look through the valve hole and read the script on the hub. I like working on bikes nearly as much as riding them.

BL
Old 06-17-09, 09:30 PM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Used to build my own wheels.

Now I fix very close to nothing at all.

It will probably get worse.
Old 06-22-09, 03:07 PM
wink

Bikes: EZ Sport AX- Specialized Expedition Plus eight others for wife and others that come down

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About a 35 dollar bike tool set and a bike work stand and I never take a bike to the LBS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.