Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anybody have a set of Soul S2.0 wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anybody have a set of Soul S2.0 wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 01:13 AM
nanunanu
Buns of Carbon

Bikes: 80's Faggin, 2009 Bottechia CF78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exRunner
Just so I am clear, rotational mass means nothing in a bicycle wheel. You can tout your education all you want, but you are simply wrong.

Read this explanation. If you are really as educated as you think you are, the discussion will be over.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...start=45#60824

About have way down. It has been posted several times on BF.
Ummm...okay. It's basic physics and basic common sense. Look buddy, my Dad taught me a LOT about mechanical things (and increasing performance) from early on. He was a farm kid, hot rodder from the 50's, and a boiler tender in the Navy. I am 38 years old and I have worked on cars, trucks, snowmobiles, motorcycles, small engines, and yes....bicycles over the years and the degree I had on top of this and the 5 years I worked as a design engineer were just an outflowering of that passion and background. I am not bragging and I wish now that i wouldn't have even brought it up in the first place.

But Bottom line, in every single arena I just spoke of...from hot rodding cars to snowmobiles to small engines, it is common knowledge that rotational mass is more important to lower for higher performance than dead weight. The poster on Weight weenies is a great example of a guy who trusts a "model" over real life experience. A model is just a map, it is not the territory. The people that actually do this for a living do extensive testing on this with real humans on a bike on rollers, dynos and computers hooked up to the riders and do you know what they use on race day? They surely don't use heavy steel wheels. They will only go heavier when they want to go aero for the flats. According to the guy on weight weenies they should put the heaviest wheel on you could put on....I mean thats what his "model" says to do and that is the whole basis of your arguemant.

The fact is that we are accelerating our drive train a lot...and it adds up. You don't have to see a huge increase in speed to have an acceleration. Acceleration is nothing more or less than a change in velocity...and velocity is speed and directio...which are always changing in your bike drivetrain on a real road. It's funny people say that weight adds momentum...lol yeah and makes it harder to accelerate and increases roilling resistance too. It doesn't come out even because you supposedly go downhill faster.

Do you know a what a flywheel does? Have you ever had to spin one up? Sure it keeps rolling smooth but if you have to change the speed even SLIGHTLY, it takes way more energy and time than if it were a lighter, round object of sorts.

Now i admitted on here long ago that the wheel weight (well normal bike wheels not monster truck sized wheels) isn't as important as training and having a smooth pedalling stroke (which means you have very little in the way of acceleration each power stroke). But it DOES make a difference in the real world: the world that cyclists and engineers operate in which happens to be the world that internet eggheads like the guy you routed me too don't trust. You see, engineers have those math skills that the eggheads do but we aren't building something on paper, drafts are just a plan and you ALWAYS have to go back and update prints to match what REALITY itself taught you from building it.

The lighter the wheel the more skill it takes to have a smooth (ie: non-accelerated) pedalling cycle. I can tell this as I just got slightly lighter wheels on my new bike and all of a sudden my one somewhat smooth pedaling got a little herky-jerky...just as physics would predict.

Okay..I'm bored with this...LOL...

Last edited by nanunanu; 07-07-09 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-07-09, 01:33 AM
nanunanu
Buns of Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsuru
Hay nanunanu....... if you get these, let me know how they go. I've seriously been browsing for a set of lightweight, reasonably prices, yet strong wheels to upgrade my baby and shed a few grams in the process. On paper, the 2.0's sound perfect, so I'm very curious to hear your experience.

And as for rotational mass, if there is ONE thing I've learned in cycling, is that everything matters. It's a sport of millimeters & milligrams, where a being slightly off your form will cost you a race. Everything matters...
Thanks Tsuru...of course rotational mass matters which is why hotrodders, motorcycle racers, world class cyclists all pay VERY much attention to it. My Dura Ace cassette has a few titanium gears in it for christ sakes. They didn't do that for bragging rights...they did it for performance..for lessened weight.

Yep, details matter, especially when you are talking seconds determining the winner of a race and when you are a little guy like me, it matters a lot more than the clydes.
Old 07-07-09, 01:47 AM
nanunanu
Buns of Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hay nanunanu....... if you get these, let me know how they go. I've seriously been browsing for a set of lightweight, reasonably prices, yet strong wheels to upgrade my baby and shed a few grams in the process. On paper, the 2.0's sound perfect, so I'm very curious to hear your experience.

And as for rotational mass, if there is ONE thing I've learned in cycling, is that everything matters. It's a sport of millimeters & milligrams, where a being slightly off your form will cost you a race. Everything matters...

I will for sure post my results when i get them.

Originally Posted by CiaoFun
I'm on the list as well for the S2.0. Really trying to decide whether I should change it to a C4.0. Since these two wheels have such similar weights, the performance benefit would only come from the "aero" aspect.

Nanunanu, have you tried to articulate the benefit of "aero" beyond just the weight savings on the S2.0? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
I guess I don't have any real world experience with the aeros, but I have given it some thought. My opinion is that the aero will save some calories for you on a longer race (especially some really deep rims) but I am opting for easing my hill climbing and acceleration. i have seen the debates on just how deep you would have to go to see real world results, and I just think that there are too many unknowns in that. I wish I could try them out side by side. My current set are only slightly less mass than the last set and I do feel it when i am mashing....that is why I want to go even lighter. i mean they are only $435...if I was spending $2500 it wouldn't be worth it to me....the cost/benefit is so small that it really wouldn't matter. But yeah the weight difference really isn't that much...I am just a really light guy who doesn't need any stiffer rims on his carbon bike...so the 2.0s are it for me.

Lol...jeez i ramble on these posts....
Old 07-08-09, 01:47 AM
remixity
annoying zzz sound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have those wheels. well, I have the same niobium rims, soul hubs, and dt swiss competition spokes. 180lb on a 20/24-spoke set and have had no problems with alignment after a few hundred miles.
Old 07-08-09, 04:07 AM
BlastRadius
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a corollary to the lighter is better argument, I'll add that lighter at the edge of the wheel also makes a difference. I have two wheelsets, American Classic 420s and Spinergy FCCs. I weighed both rear wheels and they weighed within 6 grams of each other. With 200gr tires and 75gr tubes mounted, the only difference between them is the rim on the AC 420s weigh 420gr and the Spinergy FCC rims weigh 530-545gr (according to Spinergy). While the Spinergy wheels feel stiffer in out-of-saddle pedaling, the AC 420 wheels are noticeable easier to pedal and feels lighter. Of course, I "only" weigh 130lbs so what is noticeable to me may not be noticeable to a heavier or more powerful rider.
Old 07-08-09, 09:48 AM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would like to try these rims.
Old 07-08-09, 12:25 PM
vadimivich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nanunanu
Do you know a what a flywheel does? Have you ever had to spin one up? Sure it keeps rolling smooth but if you have to change the speed even SLIGHTLY, it takes way more energy and time than if it were a lighter, round object of sorts.
This kind of makes me laugh that you posted this, because you can't see the answer right in front of your nose. The reason the model that Mark McM posted on the WW forum works is because he is also calculating the benefit of the inertial forces that a heavier wheel is effected by. The same thing with a flywheel - they stay at speed once you spin them up ... the energy from the original spin up isn't wasted, it's just delivered across a longer time frame. Same thing with a bicycle wheel - a heavier wheel actually has reverse benefits from a lighter one in that it requires more effort from friction to slow it down. In all practicality, for bicycle purposes that means that rotating mass is a zero sum game - bearing smoothness matters far more, since it's where friction is being applied. All in all, a 15 pound bike will go the same speed with the same power and gearing no matter how the weight is distributed.

That doesn't mean that lighter rims don't offer benefits when quick accelerations are required (say, field sprints or explosive moves on a climb) and heavier rims probably are actually superior in disciplines like time trials where accelerations are kept to a minimum and constant delivery of power is the goal.
Old 07-08-09, 12:40 PM
exRunner

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vadimivich
This kind of makes me laugh that you posted this, because you can't see the answer right in front of your nose. The reason the model that Mark McM posted on the WW forum works is because he is also calculating the benefit of the inertial forces that a heavier wheel is effected by. The same thing with a flywheel - they stay at speed once you spin them up ... the energy from the original spin up isn't wasted, it's just delivered across a longer time frame. Same thing with a bicycle wheel - a heavier wheel actually has reverse benefits from a lighter one in that it requires more effort from friction to slow it down. In all practicality, for bicycle purposes that means that rotating mass is a zero sum game - bearing smoothness matters far more, since it's where friction is being applied. All in all, a 15 pound bike will go the same speed with the same power and gearing no matter how the weight is distributed.

That doesn't mean that lighter rims don't offer benefits when quick accelerations are required (say, field sprints or explosive moves on a climb) and heavier rims probably are actually superior in disciplines like time trials where accelerations are kept to a minimum and constant delivery of power is the goal.
Someone else that took the time to read the post and has the education to understand
Old 07-08-09, 01:34 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So.... in the real world, when slowing, stopping, starting, and quick acceleration are repeatedly part of every ride because my rides, at least, aren't closed off to traffic, all things being equal, lighter wheels are definitely better?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-09, 01:57 PM
exRunner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So.... in the real world, when slowing, stopping, starting, and quick acceleration are repeatedly part of every ride because my rides, at least, aren't closed off to traffic, all things being equal, lighter wheels are definitely better?

Thanks!
I seriously doubt it, but I suppose under certain extreme circumstances and conditions it could be true. For nearly everyone else it is just a false belief and a poor application of a general principle of physics.
Old 07-08-09, 02:10 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But, if you take a bike at 19lbs, and go to lighter wheels so it is now <19lbs, and the difference is all in the wheels, would you feel a difference?
Old 07-08-09, 02:27 PM
max power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vadimivich

it's weird that you would take on the Flywheel debate, considering all performance oriented flywheels are designed to be as light as possible . . . . .

it's absolutely mind baffling how people will argue that rotational weight doesn't matter. at the end of the day, none of their arguments apply in the real world
Old 07-08-09, 02:27 PM
exRunner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But, if you take a bike at 19lbs, and go to lighter wheels so it is now <19lbs, and the difference is all in the wheels, would you feel a difference?
Yes, but that wasn't the argument (discussion). A lighter bike is a lighter bike, it doesn' matter what made it lighter. 1 lb off your wheel equals 1 lb off your frame equals 1 lb off your butt.
Old 07-08-09, 02:33 PM
klages

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
losing weight on the bike is easy (wheels or otherwise)

removing excess fingers, toes & ear lobes is when you've proved yourself a true cyclist

Last edited by klages; 07-08-09 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-08-09, 02:43 PM
exRunner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by max power
it's absolutely mind baffling how people will argue that rotational weight doesn't matter. at the end of the day, none of their arguments apply in the real world
From my view point what is baffling is how people can keep repeating that when it flys in the face of numerical proof. It is a wives-tale that has merit in many applications, but not in bicycling.
Old 07-08-09, 02:51 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but that wasn't the argument (discussion). A lighter bike is a lighter bike, it doesn' matter what made it lighter. 1 lb off your wheel equals 1 lb off your frame equals 1 lb off your butt.
Ah, gotcha. I may get these bad boys..... bring that Kapu to the 2000's! ha!

From my view point what is baffling is how people can keep repeating that when it flys in the face of numerical proof. It is a wives-tale that has merit in many applications, but not in bicycling.
What ever happened to 1 lb off the wheels is equal to 2 lbs off the bike or something something?

What works for me is comparing at extremes.... someone should take a good weight frame and put super lightwheels on it and then take a super light frame and put heavy ass wheels (non-disk, real world wheels), and test ride them side by side what all that power meter and what nots attached. Biggest extremes they can and still get them to the same weight.

I'm curious of how it'd all go.

No one has done that yet?
Old 07-08-09, 07:06 PM
max power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what numerical proof? you can't just make up your own formula in order to prove your own point. that link you keep trying to shill concludes that you're better off running the heaviest wheels you can find. . . .just because you've wasted your time convincing yourself that thread proves something in the real world doesn't mean the rules of physics all of a sudden don't apply to bicycles . . . .
Old 07-08-09, 07:15 PM
info

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
any picture to show ?

Old 07-08-09, 07:16 PM
fnords

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by max power
that link you keep trying to shill concludes that you're better off running the heaviest wheels you can find. . . . . . .
"For all practical purposes, when climbing, it is only total mass that matters, not how it is distributed."

What about this conclusion implies you're better off running the heaviest wheels you can find?
Old 07-08-09, 07:27 PM
VA_Esquire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weigh 190lb. and iffy about purchasing a pair of SOUL S2.0s due to the weight issue so I am probably going to end up purchasing 3.0s or 4.0s
Old 07-08-09, 09:37 PM
max power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fnords
"For all practical purposes, when climbing, it is only total mass that matters, not how it is distributed."

What about this conclusion implies you're better off running the heaviest wheels you can find?
first of all that conclusion in itself is wrong because he is talking about distribution of static weight, which is not the same as rotational mass. . . .

"The speed oscillations (micro-accelerations) are greater with the lower rotating mass, but the average speed is also slightly lower with lower rotating mass."

that statement, along with all of the statements and premises taken by that thread, it just makes me sick

it's absolutely dumbfounding how anyone with a high school education can read through this and not see all of the fallacies. sure, people make "models" all the time based on hard scientific knowledge, but just like any other experiment it can be so easily biased to the point where real world practically no longer applies.

as a scientist, i find it pretty disheartening to see anyone claiming to be "educated" read through something like that and come away thinking that they understand it, or worse, believe it to be true . . . absolutely despicable
Old 07-08-09, 09:48 PM
bassplayinbiker

Bikes: Diamondback centurion. Home built tandem

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
eat a f****** sandwich dude
Old 07-08-09, 09:58 PM
nickthaquick1

Bikes: Blue Competition

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm no pro..but i'd say your 100% wrong on that argument based on my personal experiences...
Old 07-08-09, 10:09 PM
GPB

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VA_Esquire
I weigh 190lb. and iffy about purchasing a pair of SOUL S2.0s due to the weight issue so I am probably going to end up purchasing 3.0s or 4.0s
The S3.0s (standard hubs, standard build) are IMO a very good deal. I'm 190 and lovin' the S3.0s. The freehub's a little loud...but I've gotten used to it. It took a few rides for the spokes to stop tinging (slightly) under torque. Sean advised that shouldn't be a problem and it hasn't been. Good luck!
Old 07-09-09, 01:52 AM
nanunanu
Buns of Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone else that took the time to read the post and has the education to understand

Of course yet another personal shot at me. I DID read it and I DO have the education to understand that he is WRONG. I was a Designer for Eaton Corporation (a fortune 500 company) and THEY thought I had enough college level math and physics to be hired, but you, some random guy on the internet, doesn't? LOL This is so fricking hilarious from where I am standing that you can't imagine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.