Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

New - to folders, anyhow - and could use a bit of advice.

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 08:33 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts

I normally live in the Classic & Vintage section, but my needs this time have me looking for a different level of advice. To put it simply, I'm starting to look for my first folder since that Raleigh Twenty with the three speed Benelux/Huret/Sturmy-Archer setup I used forty years ago to get to and from work in Erie, PA. And things have obviously changed - a lot.

I'm 62 years old, 5'10-1/2", and usually weigh in about 175 lbs. I ride a lot (6700 miles last year) and have a good stable of road bikes at home. Plus . . . . . I keep a 1968 Ranger (rebadged Phillips) 3-speed roadster at my place of employment for lunch time errand running, daily bank runs (I'm the company bookkeeper), and whatever else comes up during the course of the workday. The company (a motorcycle shop) has always been good about me storing one bike or another at the office. However, I've noticed my bike is getting in the way of the service department personnel no matter where I store it, although they've been kind enough not to complain. I figure that a folder kept in my office would be a lot more convenient to everyone concerned.

Daily use is normally about 5-6 miles. It's a 3.85 mile round trip for the daily bank run, terrain isn't flat, but a Sturmey AW geared (I believe) 46/23 works quite well. I'm using the old classic commuter setup with a Pletscher alloy rack over the rear fender with a couple of medium sized saddlebags hanging off them - although at one time I was using a cloth trunk strapped to the rack itself. Anything like that works fine - I do have a briefcase that I can strap like a courier's bag, but have never really been crazy about that alternative.

I'm open to ideas, both new and vintage. I have my own bike shop, and everything in the stable is my work. That Raleigh Twenty was the last time I ever bought a bike complete and rideable out the door (and I unboxed and set it up, as my employer was the local Schwinn/Raleigh dealer). I missed out on a pair of ratty old Dahons at the Westminster swap meet last year that I would have had no problem into putting back into one beautiful riding bike.

I'm open to anyone's preferences into what they think would fill the bill for me. And, occasionally, I wouldn't mind taking the bike on the Amtrak into DC for a Saturday and use it to bounce around museums - although that's a lesser consideration.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-10-13, 08:56 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
How much do you want to spend? A Brompton would be a nice fold to travel with. Modernizing an old Raleigh would be fun but may be bulky for travel.
https://raleightwenty.webs.com/
Old 01-10-13, 08:59 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/3482001625.html
https://frederick.craigslist.org/bik/3516009521.html

or if you want to really go for it:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...536259565.html
Old 01-10-13, 08:59 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Looked up Brompton on eBay and was staggered by the prices. I'm preferring to stay in three figures. And yes, I've considered finding another Twenty. My only complaint with mine was that I had to have the seat post out about an inch past the maximum line to get full leg extension on the downstroke.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-10-13, 09:06 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
The seatpost is 28.6 ,Kalloy has a 400mm seatpost.
Old 01-10-13, 10:06 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't really speak in or out of favor for either the Mezzo or the Downtube but steer clear of that KHS Mocha at that price. I bought mine at dealer cost and can honestly say that I would have been better off to spend an extra $50 and buy a Citizen Miami at the retail price of $199 (which I eventually did anyway).

Last edited by BassNotBass; 01-10-13 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 10:26 PM
smallwheeler

wow.. it must really be a piece of junk then.. the down tube and mezzo are good and great, though.
Old 01-10-13, 10:30 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Looked up Brompton on eBay and was staggered by the prices. I'm preferring to stay in three figures. And yes, I've considered finding another Twenty. My only complaint with mine was that I had to have the seat post out about an inch past the maximum line to get full leg extension on the downstroke.
What's your inseam length? If it's less than 32" there may be something worth looking into if you need an inexpensive folding bike... a Miami Citizen. IMHO it's a fairly modern equivalent to the old Raleigh 20 but with a few advantages in some ways. It folds better than a R20 and my last one came with a very positive and sure locking mechanism that held the two frame halves together while folded. But it's no featherweight (like the R20), has a steel frame (like the R20) and has 6 speeds with a decent gear range to maintain a decent speed (just as long as you don't intend to join a paceline). From my experience of owning two Miamis is that it's biggest weakness is the slop in the aluminum hinge of the collapsible steering mast. It's not dangerous by any means... just annoying. Another thing that really surprised me about my Miamis is that they are very stable at speed... no hands riding is effortless.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 01-10-13 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 10:37 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
wow.. it must really be a piece of junk then.. the down tube and mezzo are good and great, though.
Aww jeez... you just had to go and underhandedly dis my Miami,huh?.

It was an OK attempt but KHS should have fitted a larger chain ring than the stock 40 tooth to begin with and although the frame hinge was huge it was still just aluminum with no real interlocking faces to keep the junction tight and prevent relatively quick wear of an unbushed hinge. I was able to rectify that weak link but it's definitely the bike's achilles heel. The steering mast, though, was a nice stable and solid steel unit... not pretty but functional.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 01-10-13 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 11:06 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Based on the style of bike you seem to like, I'd really suggest getting a Brompton. The price is staggering - yes - but the quality and fold are impressive: you get what you pay for.
Old 01-11-13, 02:58 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why go to the expense of a Brompton ?

If you have a cycle shop and are handy with the tools I'd suggest you look at the much cheaper Downtube, a good bike as it comes, and a very good basis for upgrade and modification.
Old 01-11-13, 03:50 AM
snafu21

Bikes: None.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^ +1

Downtube FS's ride extremely well, can be upgraded with new or recycled parts and have a roomy cockpit for the leggy. The FS (suspension) is tricky to fit rear luggage to, but both the 9 and the Nova seems up to the job, with rack eyelets.

Last edited by snafu21; 01-11-13 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 03:50 AM
jerrysimon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Whilst I would agree there are many alternatives to a Brompton I would also highlight that being steel if you use a Brompton for daily commuting in all weather they wear really well.

Where the Brompton also really scores is if you have a requirement to take it on trains, buses and or in and out of shops, pubs, coffee shops etc.

As always the best recommendation is to go and try these bikes and decide for yourself.

PS you might also want to look at a Xootr Swift though larger than a Brompton its a pretty impressive ride

Checkout the massive Swift thread on this forum.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited by jerrysimon; 01-11-13 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 03:56 AM
snafu21

Bikes: None.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
'Use a Brompton for daily commuting in all weather they wear really well.'

Not always:

Sometimes the frames crack

Or they rust through:

And the wheels wear:

Or the handlebars break:

Or the seatpost cracks.

Or the rear triangle snaps.

Gears break,

Tyres wear quickly and are prone to punctures

Pedals break and rims wear out.

Just like any other folding bike, really.

"was staggered by the prices. I'm preferring to stay in three figures."

Yup

There's plenty of choice.

Last edited by snafu21; 01-11-13 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 04:40 AM
jerrysimon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes I am sure there are cases of wear/failure but I can only speak of my own experience over the last three years of commuting 10 miles/folding and unfolding each day.

Regards

Jerry
Old 01-11-13, 05:14 AM
smallwheeler

rusted through after 12 years.. telescopic seatpost cracked after 5000 miles... handlebars break pre 1997... tires wear quickly and prone to puncture while riding daily through "tons of broken glass".. rims wear out after 7000km and rough helsinki winters..

brompton make brilliant bikes.
Old 01-11-13, 05:40 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The OP stated his daily usage was 5-6 miles with no indication that there was any need to take the bike on a train or a bus, his need to fold was to minimise any obstruction in the office / workshop, so maybe having something that folds as small as a Brompton is not called for, and hence the high expenditure could not be reasonably justified.

Is that really sufficient excuse for another round of Brompton bashing ?
Old 01-11-13, 06:44 AM
smallwheeler

iya, the OP should get the downtube. btw, Diode100, what's an iXi lifestyle?
Old 01-11-13, 06:52 AM
Diode100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
iya, the OP should get the downtube. btw, Diode100, what's an iXi lifestyle?

Old 01-11-13, 07:01 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by snafu21
'Use a Brompton for daily commuting in all weather they wear really well.'

Not always:

Sometimes the frames crack

Or they rust through:

And the wheels wear:

Or the handlebars break:

Or the seatpost cracks.

Or the rear triangle snaps.

Gears break,

Tyres wear quickly and are prone to punctures

Pedals break and rims wear out.

Just like any other folding bike, really.

"was staggered by the prices. I'm preferring to stay in three figures."

Yup

There's plenty of choice.
Man.

Next you're going to tell me Santa Claus doesn't exist...
Old 01-11-13, 07:02 AM
jerrysimon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am sure that Brompton can take a bashing, I know that I am more than capable of dealing with criticism myself. My view point is based on the fact that I have used a Brompton pretty much everyday for the last three years.

In fact I like the Brompton so much I purchased a second Titanium one which will eventually replace my standard one when I sell it again, for pretty much the same cost as I purchased it for three years ago

Regards

Jerry
Old 01-11-13, 07:04 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
The OP stated his daily usage was 5-6 miles with no indication that there was any need to take the bike on a train or a bus...
Last paragraph of OP.
Old 01-11-13, 07:07 AM
smallwheeler

hmm. pretty interesting. 4 speed shimano nexus, 100 psi tires, storage compartment in the nose. how's the handling?
Originally Posted by Diode100
Old 01-11-13, 07:11 AM
smallwheeler

snafu21 is just being a troll. probably laughing while reading this..

Originally Posted by jerrysimon
I am sure that Brompton can take a bashing, I know that I am more than capable of dealing with criticism myself. My view point is based on the fact that I have used a Brompton pretty much everyday for the last three years.

In fact I like the Brompton so much I purchased a second Titanium one which will eventually replace my standard one when I sell it again, for pretty much the same cost as I purchased it for three years ago

Regards

Jerry
Old 01-11-13, 07:29 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
If you're coming from C&V, you might not be aware of the class of rides-pretty-normal-but-easier-to-store 'mini velo' bikes developed in Asia. 1, 2, 3.

There are folding bikes with full sized wheels: 4, 5, 6.

Vintage? Well, there's always the Bickerton or a Moulton Stowaway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.