Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Maybe need different handlebars

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-16, 11:06 AM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Bikes: Northwoods Springdale Women's bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

since I think leaning so much on the bars I have is going to be an issue (pic of bike below). I have the Hardrock that I bought 2nd hand, and love it. I rode and rode some more yesterday, but noticed some sort of arthritic type pain in my arms last night. Just thinking taking some pressure off my arms will be a good idea.

I don't know how I'll change out those bars, but I'm sure there's a way First I'll wait for some feedback, if anyone would like to chime in, always appreciated denise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
me on my Hardrock.jpg (100.8 KB, 193 views)
Old 08-08-16, 11:16 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Having multiple hand positions usually relieves hand and wrist pain. Your Hardrock has typical flat bars with only one hand position. Using a pair of bar end extensions with flat bars allows the rider have a more comfortable grip. See: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...p?category=344
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-08-16 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-08-16, 11:18 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Kind of hard to tell from that picture...
Not sure if you will need to change the bars...
but it would be nice if you had someone in the area that understood fit and checked it for you to make sure of the correct fit... not the size of the bike but if it is set up for you...
saddle height, fore and aft position... stem length and angle as well as width of the bar.
Do you know anyone with a trainer that you could put the bike in and have them take pictures of you on the bike in the stand?
If all else fails, check which bike shops in your area do "fits" and talk to them about fitting the bike for you.
Old 08-08-16, 11:24 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Please don't take offense here, but you're not supposed to lean on the bars.
You should support yourself with core muscles, use the bars for balance, bend your elbows, and keep your wrists straight.

I'm using Ahearne Map bars on an upright I built, and find they have a very natural hand position.
Map bars with an 80mm stem place the grips even with the top of the steerer tube (back of stem).
You can adjust your reach forward or back from there with a longer or shorter stem.
A shorter reach stem will make the bike steer a bit faster, but taking your weight off of the bar will make everything more stable and give you more control.
Ahearne+Map Handlebar ? Ahearne Cycles
Another variant on the same bar is the Nitto Jitensha touring bar
Nitto Jitensha B2522 Touring Handlebar 26.0 - Black
here's a good article on "Alt" mountain bars, and you'll see most of them kind of follow this same shape.
Alternative or "Alt" Mountain Bike Handlebar Round Up Not suggesting you buy any of these, but get some ideas for bar shape options.

The next thing to consider are swept-back bar options, Albatross, Northroad or cruiser type bars - these work best with a longer stem.
Take a look at how Rivendell sets up bikes
Bikes

Nice thing about all these bars, they will be able to use your same brakes and controls.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 08-09-16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-08-16, 11:30 AM
DaleW
Happy Rider

Bikes: Hybridized mountain bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Orgin8 Citi Classic handlebars (Product Description | Origin8). They have quite a bit of back-sweep and some rise too, bringing the bars closer to your body and giving a more upright stance. That usually takes some load off your arms, but it does transfer some to the seat and may require some adjustment there.

Google "north road handlebars" and you will see a lot of handlebars in this style. The Origin8 bars were less expensive than most. You may have to lengthen some cables when getting into handlebar changes from a flat bar. Getting the grips off in usable condition is the other mechanical challenge. I went to "lock on" grips at the same time, which made any handlebar changes easier.

Ergonomic grips with bar ends (Produkte ? ERGON BIKE) may do the trick too. They will be lock on style as well. The ones with bar ends do not work well with handlebars that have a lot of back sweep. Other than the more ergonomic grip, the bar ends give an alternate hand position so your arms aren't in the same position throughout your ride.
Old 08-08-16, 11:38 AM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Having multiple hand positions usually relieves hand and wrist pain. Your Hardrock has typical flat bars with only one hand position. Using a pair of bar end extensions with flat bars allows the rider have a more comfortable grip. See: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...p?category=344
Wow, I like this idea!! I was thinking I would have to completely remove the old bars, changed the shifters etc. I like these types, or something like them, what do you think Barrett?? And thank you sooooo much!!
Attached Images
commutbars.jpg (68.8 KB, 184 views)
Old 08-08-16, 11:39 AM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I just noticed those are facing front of bike, I can get them to face in as well right??

Last edited by abbynormal; 08-08-16 at 11:41 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 08-08-16, 11:51 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Try a google search on ergo bar ends. Plenty of options there.
Old 08-08-16, 11:53 AM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
K, here's what I have now, and I will do the search as well:
Attached Images
handlebars.jpg (91.4 KB, 180 views)
Old 08-08-16, 11:54 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by abbynormal
Oh, I just noticed those are facing front of bike, I can get them to face in as well right??
They rotate and then are tightened. In theory you could have them set back, but you would not find this to be comfortable or safe. Just combine these with a shorter stem for an easier reach.

You could also install trekking bars which will move the controls towards you and provide several hand positions.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-08-16 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-08-16, 12:00 PM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want some type that will take the weight off my arms, so I am thinking I may have to go all the way with a new set. I don't know anything for sure. With continued work "again' on my arm, I may overcome it. I think the more upright I can sit and still reach the handles/brakes, the better off I'll be. Just a gut feeling. I did do my usual push-ups the other day, so may that, and the combo of the bikeride yesterday, maybe a little over-worked my arms. We'll see I'll try again today, shorter ride.

Thank you much for your suggestions, good to know about all my options! abby
Old 08-08-16, 12:02 PM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the new post of the other style. I have a different braking system so I don't want to change all that out unless it comes to that. I think the extensions you first pointed out are what I will try first.
Old 08-08-16, 12:16 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I always liked the old gear shifter levers you have on that red bike. But if you get bar ends, or multi position handlebars you need to determine where the brake levers go and how accessible they are.
Make sure they are "very". . .North road bars are great for town. Easyrider style, real cool for an ole dude like me. .
Old 08-08-16, 12:20 PM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
I always liked the old gear shifter levers you have on that red bike. But if you get bar ends, or multi position handlebars you need to determine where the brake levers go and how accessible they are.
Make sure they are "very". . .North road bars are great for town. Easyrider style, real cool for an ole dude like me. .
Thank you Peter! I am getting used to the gear shifters, and would like to leave it as much as it is, and just add on some extensions. Try that first, at least Older maybe, but bolder too, I always say
Old 08-08-16, 04:23 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
These looks pretty comfortable. They come in different sizes and a bunch of other vendors make these also so pricing may vary... You get the idea...

https://www.amazon.com/Ergon-GR9574-...G5GWRTSCEHKN9X
Old 08-08-16, 05:23 PM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
These looks pretty comfortable. They come in different sizes and a bunch of other vendors make these also so pricing may vary... You get the idea...

https://www.amazon.com/Ergon-GR9574-...G5GWRTSCEHKN9X
Thanks so much Rockiesdad! I will see what I can "settle on" trying, and then order them. I like ordering online, done it with a few other types of things. Not much here in my town either, so the internet opens a lot of opportunity for finding what I need for my bike!!
Old 08-08-16, 10:57 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Are you riding with a backpack? The straps can put pressure on the nerves and vasculature of the arms, which might feel arthritic. Maybe a rack and pannier or cargo bag or a handlebar bag would improve the situation.
Old 08-09-16, 06:22 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You didn't mention if you are having problems with pressure on your hands/palms, but I noticed you aren't wearing cycling gloves. They can relieve most of the discomfort (if you have any discomfort) in the your hands and palms.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-09-16, 06:55 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm all in favor of gloves 100% of the time- to be something between palms and the pavement, but for me, padding in gloves is a source of added circulation/nerve pinch with resulting discomfort or numbness.
I'd still vote for the Northwoods or Map bar and look at this as an exercise in correct riding position.
Either bar will use all your same controls. The first thing you have to look at closely is the bar diameter at the stem, which has to match the stem. Common sizes here are 25.4, 26mm (usually not on mountain bikes), and 31.4mm.
Old 08-09-16, 09:03 AM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Are you riding with a backpack? The straps can put pressure on the nerves and vasculature of the arms, which might feel arthritic. Maybe a rack and pannier or cargo bag or a handlebar bag would improve the situation.
Yes, and only because I didn't buy a handlebar bag yet, which is what I'll get next I think there were some issues with that as well, even though I put very little in it, I had to include the wrench & pliers I took which were small, but did add to the weight.
Old 08-09-16, 09:09 AM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
You didn't mention if you are having problems with pressure on your hands/palms, but I noticed you aren't wearing cycling gloves. They can relieve most of the discomfort (if you have any discomfort) in the your hands and palms.
I did have my hands get sore, so I have some gym-gloves (fingers cut out) that I can wear for a time. I'll do that and thank you much Ron, Abby

Originally Posted by bulldog1935
I'm all in favor of gloves 100% of the time- to be something between palms and the pavement, but for me, padding in gloves is a source of added circulation/nerve pinch with resulting discomfort or numbness.
I'd still vote for the Northwoods or Map bar and look at this as an exercise in correct riding position.
Either bar will use all your same controls. The first thing you have to look at closely is the bar diameter at the stem, which has to match the stem. Common sizes here are 25.4, 26mm (usually not on mountain bikes), and 31.4mm.
Hmm, I'll have to research the handlebars/extensions further to make sure I get those right BD. Also, my gloves don't have padding, they aren't riding gloves for cycles. But they might at least help with the rubbing for now. I will look online and see what I can order. My helmet (cheapy from Walmart) sits back to far, I mean up. I can see it in the photo, and also, I am constantly pulling it down. I'll need to replace that too.
Old 08-09-16, 09:17 AM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see some small "tool" ideas for bikes as well at Amazon. I need to carry something other than my household tools, LOL! Too heavy I found gloves, and all kinds of accessories. Oh, forgot to look at a handlebar bag, but best wait until I get the handlebars the way (turned into) I need them
Old 08-09-16, 09:38 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by abbynormal
My helmet (cheapy from Walmart) sits back to far, I mean up. I can see it in the photo, and also, I am constantly pulling it down. I'll need to replace that too.
Nice bike, looks to be in Primo shape.

CPSC approved helmets have an arrangement of straps & movable buckles/doo-dads to allow for adjustment fore/aft etc. Before you spend a $ see if you can adjust your current lid to eliminate that annoyance.
Here's a blurb for a W_M helmet:

"Rapid Dial easily adjusts for a custom fit
Easily adjust straps with tri-glides & buckles
Meets US CPSC safety standards for bike helmets"

-
Old 08-09-16, 09:42 AM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Nice bike, looks to be in Primo shape.

CPSC approved helmets have an arrangement of straps & movable buckles/doo-dads to allow for adjustment fore/aft etc. Before you spend a $ see if you can adjust your current lid to eliminate that annoyance.
Here's a blurb for a W_M helmet:

"Rapid Dial easily adjusts for a custom fit
Easily adjust straps with tri-glides & buckles
Meets US CPSC safety standards for bike helmets"

-
Thanks Bandera! I will examine the helmet before I change. It has a dial in the back but adjusting just that didn't do the trick. I will see if there are any that might somehow pull it down in front, and keep it there Thank for the link too, I'll take a look Abby
Old 08-09-16, 09:46 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
here's a good price on my favorite helmet
Bell Muni
and another (your size)
What I like about it are good adjustments, the sun-visor bill, a snap-in rear view mirror, and snap-in Blackburn flea lights front and rear
it's also one of the best-vented helmets made

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.